Pagan Visions for a Sustainable Future by Ly…

Pagan Visions for a Sustainable Future

by Ly de Angeles

An interesting book of essays, focusing on questions relating to Paganism, animism, environmental concerns/causes, and a response to anthropocentrism. While I did not find a lot to relate to in most of the essays, there were a few stellar standouts for me:

"The Ethics of Paganism: The Value and Power of Sacred Relationship" by Emma Restall Orr
"Of Worms, Snakes, and Dragons: Can Magic Lead to an Ecological Worldview?" by Dr. Susan Greenwood
"I am the Mountain Walking: Wombats in the Greenwood" by Dr. Douglas Ezzy
"Wild Spirit, Active Love" by Dr. Sylvie Shaw

Each of these essays provide not only a perspective on ecology, ethics, animism, and Paganism that I had not considered - each also sculpted even deeper questions that I generated as follow-ons for myself to answer, while I was reading them. For me, these four essays were the meat of the entire book for me.

A word or two of caution for the reader though... The material presented here is in written (for the most part) in academic style, thus the readability can be some really rough terrain to pick through at times. Also, if you are looking for a Paganism 101 or Ecology 101 or Animism 101 book - this ain't it. The writers make some really large assumptions as to the knowledge base of the reader - and thus another rake edge to potentially step on while traversing this territory.

Recommend? Highly so. This is a book that you need to take your time with - much like a strong conversation on topics concerning ethical perspectives...its worth your time to read it. Just set aside the time to do so, where you are not trying to race through the material. ( )
  TommyElf | Mar 14, 2015 |
Edited by Ly de Angeles, Emma Restall Orr and Thom van Dooren
  Pombagira | Jul 3, 2006 |

Do Pagan practices lead to an ecological approach to life? What is the role of magic in contemporary Paganism? How can ancient Pagan codes of behavior be applied today?

Representing diverse arenas of Paganism, eleven established activists, authors and academics passionately debate the critical issues facing modern Pagans. These provocative discussions-exploring feminism, magickal ecology, ancient Egyptian ethics, political activism, globalization, the power of truth, sacred communities, and environmental spirituality -challenge readers to reconsider what it means to be Pagan in the twenty-first century.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:22:02 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,136,264 books! | Top bar: Always visible