Fractured by Karin Slaughter

Fractured (2008)

by Karin Slaughter

Series: Will Trent (2)

Recently added byjerryss425, Pirewiet, arena90, private library, flu1918

English (31)  Dutch (4)  German (1)  All languages (36)
A well-written whodunit involving murder and kidnapping with plenty of discovery, depravity, twists and an introduction to dyslexia and other reading challenges.

A well-to-do mother, while on the phone with her husband, realizes someone had broken into the house as she arrives home and comes across a bloody young man holding a knife over her daughter’s obviously raped, beaten and stabbed body. When the kid comes after her, she fights back and kills him. But wait, that’s not Emma, it’s her best friend who looks a lot like her. The case is reluctantly turned over to the GBI, which is a good thing because Special Agent Will Trent sees a number of things the Atlanta PD didn’t, including the fact that the young man had been a victim too.

Detective Faith Mitchell from the Atlanta PD is not happy to be working the case with Will. He’d done some investigation that recently got a number of police fired for taking drug money and her own mother was forced to retire from the force early because she upheld the Code of Silence and wouldn’t rat out her own people. But she eventually sees how good he is and how much more respect she gets from him than she’s ever gotten when working with other male detectives.

As always the author leads us down a number of different interesting paths while trying to find Emma, and in doing so, we and Will learn more about his dyslexia when interviewing a teacher that tutors kids with various levels of reading challenges. He’s so good at his job because of this different wiring in his head that always made him think he was just stupid. But he’s got plenty of ways to hide this issue and at work; only his boss knows his secret.

You won’t be guessing who has Emma until the author is ready to share and through the investigation, a secondary case is uncovered. Having enough evidence for the person involved in the secondary case to keep him in jail will make you feel good.

Some very interesting characters and situations are shared with us and I really like Faith who shares a lot of screen time. We’d met Will in Triptych and he is who he is because of his upbringing and earlier experiences. But I’m really hoping that as the series goes on, he starts including successful experiences and his new understanding of dyslexia into the equation of how he views himself and his worthiness. ( )
  dearheart | Jul 18, 2014 |
A woman comes home to find a man with a knife hunched over what she believes to be the dead body of her teenage daughter. She did what she felt she had to do, and fought back, killing him. But all was not as it appeared.

This is the first Karin Slaughter book I have read, and I loved every second of it. Slaughter's writing style reminds me a lot of Lisa Gardner's, which is a huge compliment from me because I adore her books also. The story was gripping and I genuinely couldn't figure out who did it. I'm not used to being unable to figure it out - usually my overly-analytical brain doesn't give up until it's done, but I think that the plot for this book was so enthralling that I couldn't think of anything at all, I was far too engrossed.

Slaughter really seems to care a great deal about her characters. Throughout the book, I really felt like I got to know them and actually developed some deep feelings towards them. I was actually really saddened when I turned the last page; I just wanted to stay there with them. I'm already looking into the next book in the series because I feel like I can't stay away from my beloved Will Trent for much longer.

I can't speak too much about the writing style. I simply wasn't paying attention to it. I know that she is considered to write quite vigorously and can be quite a tough read, but I didn't find this at all. I found this book to almost turn the pages itself. I was reading, and then before I knew it, I was at the end. It took me two days to read over 500 pages and I think that really speaks volumes for how much it captivated me and how easy to read I found this book. It was a sophisticated book, though, and that's for sure.

Both the plot and characters were incredibly realistic. This is important to me (although I can't say why). The plot itself was captivating and really leaves you wanting more. Everything ties in nicely with everything else, and despite all loose ends being tied at the end, it wasn't perfect. And that lack of perfection at the ending really adds to the realism of the story. Slaughter writes as though she's just telling a tale of something that happened in real life, and I think that when writing a thriller, the scariest and most captivating of tales are those that we can see really happening to our neighbour, our father, ourselves. It is brilliant.

Overall, I greatly enjoyed this book and am so excited to read the next in the series. ( )
  kerryelizabeth | Apr 8, 2014 |
Interesting story, provides good insight to Will Trent's character, and some into Faith Mitchell's. I have just downloaded the 3rd book in this series!
Reader Phil Gigante does an excellent job with the many characters voices, making it readily obvious who is speaking. He also emotes believable emotions for them. ( )
  Conkie | Feb 27, 2014 |
I read this book but its been a while so i might have to re read it. i do remember it being good though
  twokidsnablanket | Nov 2, 2013 |
Amazon received
  romsfuulynn | Apr 28, 2013 |

Karin Slaughterprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Baar, Marry vanCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Berr, KlausÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Irwyn and Nita...
for everything...
For Kate
Prologue
Abigail Campano sat in her car parked on the street outside her own house.
Day One
Chapter One

Will Trent stared out the window of the car as he listened to his boss yell into her cell phone.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0440244471, Mass Market Paperback)

NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER

Ansley Park is one of Atlanta’s most upscale neighborhoods—but in one gleaming mansion, in a teenager’s lavish bedroom, a girl has been savagely murdered. And in the hallway, her mother stands amid shattered glass, having killed her daughter’s attacker with her bare hands. Detective Will Trent of the Georgia Bureau of Investigation is one of the first on the scene. Trent soon sees something that the Atlanta cops are missing, something in the trail of blood, in a matrix of forensic evidence, and in the eyes of the stunned mother. When another teenage girl goes missing, Trent knows that this case, which started in the best of homes, is about to cut quick and deep through the ruins of perfect lives broken wide-open: where human demons emerge with a vengeance.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:00:02 -0400)

Detective Will Trent of the Georgia Bureau of Investigation takes on the case of a girl who has been savagely murdered in one of Atlanta's most desirable neighborhoods.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,256,737 books! | Top bar: Always visible