Fractured by Karin Slaughter

Fractured (2008)

by Karin Slaughter

Series: Will Trent (2)

English (49)  Dutch (4)  German (2)  Italian (1)  All languages (56)
This book clinched it. I'm hooked on this series. Characters are just too good. And the writing is interesting and fast-paced. Not to mention that the narration for the audio version was very well done. Subject matter was a little rough (sex crimes) but not overly graphic. ( )
  she_climber | Jul 27, 2018 |
Fractured
4.5 Stars

The characters in this series are completely different from those in Karin Slaughter's Grant County series in that they are all so incredibly likable.

Yes, GBI agent Will Trent is damaged, but he is also one of those people who never allows adversity to defeat them. His intelligence and resilience are amazing, and his lack of social skills and graces make him all the more endearing.

Will's partner, Faith Mitchell, is also very engaging. Despite her personal animosity toward Will, she is able to look past her bias and focus on what needed to be done to solve the case.

Will's supervisor, Amanda Wagner, is one tough cookie, but it is obvious that she has his best interests at heart, and it will be interesting to discover more about their history as there is definitely more to their relationship than meets the eye.

One cannot help but compare Angie Polaski to Lena from the Grant County. Nevertheless, their similarities only go so far, and one significant difference is a certain self awareness on Angie's part, which Lena is lacking. This makes her a much more appealing character.

The case is gripping from the very first page and following the investigation with all its twists and turns makes it impossible to put down. As the truth of the convoluted crime emerges, one cannot help but feel even more for the suffering of the victims, and rejoice when the perpetrators receive their just deserts.

In sum, another fantastic story from Slaughter and I am looking forward to the next book in which the Grant County and Will Trent series merge together. ( )
  Lauren2013 | May 24, 2018 |
This book took me two months to read. TWO. MONTHS. That is just crazy. I'm a fast reader and rather enjoy the books I read, but this one kind of got away from me. I nearly DNF it a few times, but because I can tend to get attached to characters (in books/movies/video games) I just couldn't let it go. I'm glad I didn't because it quickly made up for the slow start. The ending wrapped up rather nicely, in my opinion.

This is the second in the Will Trent series by Karin Slaughter. Trent is an agent in the Georgia Bureau of Investigation and damn good one. Fresh off a case in which he brought down multiple corrupt cops in the Atlanta PD, he is partnered up with the daughter of one of those cops to work a murder case involving a seventeen-year-old girl. The thing that interested me most was Will Trent's secret. He is dyslexic. It makes for a character that embraces his disorder as a strength rather than as a weakness. It is admirable and inspiring. ( )
  BingeReader87 | Nov 22, 2017 |
Abigail Campano walks into her house to find her daughter Emma dead, a man still standing over her with a knife. Without thinking about danger to herself she attacks the man, choking him to death. When the Georgia Bureau of Investigation's Will Trent arrives, he reads the devastating scene in a completely different way. Someone is dead, but it isn't Emma. It appears that Emma has been kidnapped. Will is paired up in this investigation with Atlanta Police Detective Faith Mitchell, who despises Will for her own personal reasons.

This is the second book of the Will Trent series and the one where Faith makes her debut. Having read this series previously, I enjoyed seeing how far their work relationship has evolved over the years. Will is a completely different type of investigator than I'm used to. He's tall and ungainly, has a pet Chihuahua named Betty, the “social skills of a feral monkey”, and he's been keeping his dyslexia a secret for years.

I've started to listen to the entire series in audio and Phil Gigante does a sensational job with his narration. The author does a remarkable job of mixing mystery and suspense with outstanding character development. Fractured kept me on the edge of my seat and I'm anxious to read the next book in the series, Undone. ( )
  Olivermagnus | Aug 9, 2017 |
Another fast-moving, sometimes graphic and disturbing book by Karin Slaughter with the fascinating Will Trent and Faith Mitchell characters and their backstories.

In this, the first Will Trent book, they try to solve two murders and a kidnapping, meeting up with a conniving secual predator. ( )
  Connie-D | Feb 20, 2017 |

For Irwyn and Nita...
for everything...
For Kate
Prologue
Abigail Campano sat in her car parked on the street outside her own house.
Day One
Chapter One

Will Trent stared out the window of the car as he listened to his boss yell into her cell phone.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0440244471, Mass Market Paperback)

NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER

Ansley Park is one of Atlanta’s most upscale neighborhoods—but in one gleaming mansion, in a teenager’s lavish bedroom, a girl has been savagely murdered. And in the hallway, her mother stands amid shattered glass, having killed her daughter’s attacker with her bare hands. Detective Will Trent of the Georgia Bureau of Investigation is one of the first on the scene. Trent soon sees something that the Atlanta cops are missing, something in the trail of blood, in a matrix of forensic evidence, and in the eyes of the stunned mother. When another teenage girl goes missing, Trent knows that this case, which started in the best of homes, is about to cut quick and deep through the ruins of perfect lives broken wide-open: where human demons emerge with a vengeance.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:11 -0400)

Detective Will Trent of the Georgia Bureau of Investigation takes on the case of a girl who has been savagely murdered in one of Atlanta's most desirable neighborhoods.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,573,569 books! | Top bar: Always visible