Fractured by Karin Slaughter

Fractured (2008)

by Karin Slaughter

Series: Will Trent (2)

1,186None6,764 (3.88)34

English (30)  Dutch (4)  German (1)  All languages (35)
A woman comes home to find a man with a knife hunched over what she believes to be the dead body of her teenage daughter. She did what she felt she had to do, and fought back, killing him. But all was not as it appeared.

This is the first Karin Slaughter book I have read, and I loved every second of it. Slaughter's writing style reminds me a lot of Lisa Gardner's, which is a huge compliment from me because I adore her books also. The story was gripping and I genuinely couldn't figure out who did it. I'm not used to being unable to figure it out - usually my overly-analytical brain doesn't give up until it's done, but I think that the plot for this book was so enthralling that I couldn't think of anything at all, I was far too engrossed.

Slaughter really seems to care a great deal about her characters. Throughout the book, I really felt like I got to know them and actually developed some deep feelings towards them. I was actually really saddened when I turned the last page; I just wanted to stay there with them. I'm already looking into the next book in the series because I feel like I can't stay away from my beloved Will Trent for much longer.

I can't speak too much about the writing style. I simply wasn't paying attention to it. I know that she is considered to write quite vigorously and can be quite a tough read, but I didn't find this at all. I found this book to almost turn the pages itself. I was reading, and then before I knew it, I was at the end. It took me two days to read over 500 pages and I think that really speaks volumes for how much it captivated me and how easy to read I found this book. It was a sophisticated book, though, and that's for sure.

Both the plot and characters were incredibly realistic. This is important to me (although I can't say why). The plot itself was captivating and really leaves you wanting more. Everything ties in nicely with everything else, and despite all loose ends being tied at the end, it wasn't perfect. And that lack of perfection at the ending really adds to the realism of the story. Slaughter writes as though she's just telling a tale of something that happened in real life, and I think that when writing a thriller, the scariest and most captivating of tales are those that we can see really happening to our neighbour, our father, ourselves. It is brilliant.

Overall, I greatly enjoyed this book and am so excited to read the next in the series. ( )
  kerryelizabeth | Apr 8, 2014 |
Interesting story, provides good insight to Will Trent's character, and some into Faith Mitchell's. I have just downloaded the 3rd book in this series!
Reader Phil Gigante does an excellent job with the many characters voices, making it readily obvious who is speaking. He also emotes believable emotions for them. ( )
  Conkie | Feb 27, 2014 |
I read this book but its been a while so i might have to re read it. i do remember it being good though
  twokidsnablanket | Nov 2, 2013 |
Amazon received
  romsfuulynn | Apr 28, 2013 |
My blog post about this book is at this link. ( )
  SuziQoregon | Apr 10, 2013 |

Karin Slaughterprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lenting, InekeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Irwyn and Nita...
for everything...
For Kate
Prologue:

Abigail Campano sat in her car parked on the street outside her own house.
Will Trent stared out the window of the car as he listened to his boss yell into her cell phone.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0440244471, Mass Market Paperback)

NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER

Ansley Park is one of Atlanta’s most upscale neighborhoods—but in one gleaming mansion, in a teenager’s lavish bedroom, a girl has been savagely murdered. And in the hallway, her mother stands amid shattered glass, having killed her daughter’s attacker with her bare hands. Detective Will Trent of the Georgia Bureau of Investigation is one of the first on the scene. Trent soon sees something that the Atlanta cops are missing, something in the trail of blood, in a matrix of forensic evidence, and in the eyes of the stunned mother. When another teenage girl goes missing, Trent knows that this case, which started in the best of homes, is about to cut quick and deep through the ruins of perfect lives broken wide-open: where human demons emerge with a vengeance.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:00:02 -0400)

Detective Will Trent of the Georgia Bureau of Investigation takes on the case of a girl who has been savagely murdered in one of Atlanta's most desirable neighborhoods.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,426,604 books! | Top bar: Always visible