The Invisible Ring (Black Jewels, Book 4) by…

The Invisible Ring (Black Jewels, Book 4) (edition 2000)

by Anne Bishop

Member:PostModernSleaze
Title:The Invisible Ring (Black Jewels, Book 4)
Authors:Anne Bishop
Info:Roc (2000), Mass Market Paperback, 416 pages
Rating:***

The Invisible Ring by Anne Bishop

This is a prequel to the "Dark Jewels Trilogy" - a fantasy that's got this weird hokey yet dark, violent and melodramatic thing going. The characters snarl a lot to show their depth of feeling and the themes and situations were too similar to the trilogy. I did like the world building that incorporates the traditional trappings of evil and flips them upside-down. The society is also feudal and matriarchal. It's fluff that's far out and dark enough to be ingested with toblerones in bed. (March 17, 2005) ( )
  cindywho | May 27, 2019 |
This is a prequel to the Black Jewels trilogy. Because some of the characters come from long-lived races, there are a couple of characters who appear in the first trilogy. The villain of this piece is Black Widow and Priestess Dorothea SaDiablo who is also the villain of the first trilogy.

In this one, we see Dorothea's plots and plans as she tries to eliminate any woman of the Blood who might rival her strength and encourage those women who share her views. She is spreading her corrupt version of the Blood to nearby countries. She would especially like to get rid of the Gray-Jeweled Queen who rules a territory called Dena Nehele.

The second continuing character is Daemon Sadi, a major hero in the first trilogy, who is a pleasure slave owned by Dorothea and lent out to other queens. He is doing everything he can to undermine Dorothea's plans and support those who oppose her.

The hero of this story is Jared, a Red-Jeweled Warlord from Shalodor, who has been a pleasure slave for nine years. The story begins with him at auction because he killed the Queen who owned him and her Prince too. He is destined to die in the salt mines of Pruul until he is purchased by the mysterious Gray Lady.

Jared finds himself among a group of slaves purchased by the Grey Lady and on his way to Dena Nehele. He decides that he will escape as soon as he can and head home to Shalador where he needs to make things right with his mother.

Plans quickly go awry when the group finds itself hunted by the Master of the Guard for Dorothea - a thoroughly corrupt man who will do anything to keep himself safe from Dorothea's punishments. The story is filled with adventure and action and danger for our heroes. It was interesting to watch Jared remember what he was taught as a child about honor and service and watch him pledge that service to his Gray Lady.

This was an engaging Dark Fantasy that adds to the Black Jewels series by letting readers get a glimpse of how the world of the first three books came to be. ( )
  kmartin802 | Jan 6, 2019 |
I'm glad I waited a little before reading this one, instead of reading it after finishing the other Black Jewels series. Damon makes a few appearances in this book but mostly it's just Jared and his group. And while I like Jared, he just doesn't compare to Damon and Lucivar. But I did wait a little so the differences were bearable ;). It's a good story and best as a prequel definitely, although it still is only loosely tied into the other books of the series. However I think there might be a re-appearance of these characters in the last two books written for the series, maybe. We'll see I suppose, since I'll be grabbing the last two books soon. ( )
  Kassilem | Jul 5, 2018 |
Jared is about to be sold to the salt mines of Pruul when he is purchased by the Gray Lady instead. She is feared; no one ever returns from her lands. Instead of the Ring of Obedience that Hayll witches usually use, she uses the Invisible Ring to control her warlord Blood males.
I'm in the process of a reread of this series (again) as I love it so much. This is a prequel to the first three books but can be read as a standalone book. It takes place in some territories that haven't been explored in those other books, a whole new world to explore. There are some great twists, and Ms. Bishop's usual fine writing is evident. Lia and Jared are a great pairing as well as Thera and Blaed. The other characters supplement the story in fine style. I'm always happy when Daemon shows up (even if some Queens don't feel the same). Another great book in the Black Jewels series. ( )
  N.W.Moors | Dec 22, 2017 |
This and Necromance by Gisele walko are the only romance books I have ever been able to get into, period. Not the only sensual erotica books. Only romance. This one stuck in my head so much that all these years later, I still go back from time to time just to read some of Daemon Sadi's quotes. There's intrigue, mystery, magic, and struggle for the greater good all in a setting that teaches us cynicism can only ever fall short against kindness and love. ( )
1 vote andrewmowere | Oct 25, 2016 |
To Merri Lee and Michael Debany
Lord Krelis, the new Master of the Guard, tried not to fidget as he watched Dorothea SaDiablo slowly pace the length of her private audience room.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451458028, Mass Market Paperback)

In this engaging story of Jared, a Red-Jeweled Warlord and unwilling pleasure slave, Bishop returns to the world of her Black Jewels trilogy (Daughter of the Blood, Heir to the Shadows, and Queen of the Darkness). Jared, who has murdered his owner and attempted escape, is recaptured and sold to the mysterious Gray Lady. It soon becomes clear that Jared's new queen is not what she seems to be, and he joins with his fellow slaves--all of whom hide their own secrets--to protect the Gray Lady. During her desperate flight from Dorothea SaDiablo, the Black Widow intent on destroying her and claiming her territory, Jared comes to terms with his own demons and discovers what it means to be truly bonded to a queen.

Bishop uses her usual skill to move interesting, rounded characters through a well-drawn world. Although this is a standalone book, there are ties with the events of the trilogy, most especially the appearance of the compelling Daemon Sadi. The author still pulls no punches in describing the sexual violence and misery that are as much a part of this intricate world as the gender role-reversals and the often-agonizing demands of honor and magic. A pleasurable read for fans of emotionally charged fantasy who enjoy both complex characters and societies, and who are not averse to following characters through their struggles and achievements. --Luc Duplessis

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:14 -0400)

Jared, a youthful Red-Jeweled Warlord murders his owner-queen and escapes, only to be caught and auctioned off into slavery again. He is purchased by the formidable Gray-Jeweled Queen whose true nature is gradually revealed as forces attack the Queen's retinue, forcing them to take a desperate trip cross-country.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,564,938 books! | Top bar: Always visible