The Sugar Queen by Sarah Addison Allen

The Sugar Queen

by Sarah Addison Allen

2,3201952,722 (3.97)286

another delightful read by Sarah Addison Allen. like a warm mug of cocoa. romance mystery and a little mystical happenings. ( )
  mfabriz | Jun 26, 2017 |
In 2009 women weren't as much up in arms as they are now in protesting "meninism", but I have to say this: I would never date the dudes in this book.
Let me clarify: cheating isn't cool. Is that pretty clear? Okay, great.
Other than that, it was very indicative of the chicklit written in yesteryear: girl is awkward but hopeful > girl meets cute boy > cute boy is nice but unreadable > tragedy happens > cute boy is mad > girl is mad at cute boy > tragedy is resolved > girl and boy kiss and make up > miscellaneous bittersweet ending.
It was just as predictable in plot that I actually guessed the ending, how about that! Not that this makes it any less of a great story, just a great story following a well-worn pattern.
This form of magical realism in writing is also something I've not encountered before, I was thinking of it as more of "realistic magism" (?) if I may be so bold as to make up a term. Maybe I'm not familiar enough with the genre to make this statement, but it seemed to push the boundaries of "realism". There is a point where innocuous, coincidental things turn to the absurd.
It's a lovely, light read, with charming and very characters...that make you want to date your mailman. I have FEELINGS, okay, I didn't say I'm not immune! ( )
  wombatcastle | Jun 14, 2017 |
I suppose this is a chick-lit with magical realism story. It takes place somewhere in North Carolina and revolves around three women in their twenties and their struggles to break out of their cocoons.

These stories of women from the South usually include some older women trying to bend the minds of the younger women to their wills. I hate that stuff. Yet I was able to read this to the end because of the light touches of fantasy and magic. It allowed you to wonder if it was really magic, or head games the girls played to cope with their lives. I found this quite predictable, but a nice cosy read perhaps because of that. If it had been a "modern Southern literary novel" written in the early part of the 1900s, it would have had quite a different feel, but this was written to be sugar and light, and that's what it was, even though it touched upon some very dark places of the human heart. ( )
  MrsLee | Jun 3, 2017 |
The second book I've read by Sarah Addison Allen.

I love her mix of romance, humor and magic. ( )
  nx74defiant | Apr 30, 2017 |
OK, the twist got me. I cried. And laughed. And now have a ridiculous sweet tooth. ( )
  EllAreBee | Sep 19, 2016 |

Sarah Addison Allenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Meyers, AriadneReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my dad, with all my love
When Josey woke up and saw the feathery frost on her windowpane, she smiled.
She felt him getting nearer, felt it like a pull in the pit of her stomach. It felt like hunger but deeper, heavier. Like the best kind of expectation. Ice cream expectation. Chocolate expectation.
He was seated at the bar, surrounded by women, women who existed only at night, thin sheets of steel, all sharp edges and shine, undulating and unsteady.
Ice queens didn't break, after all. They melted. And Marco didn't have enough warmth for that.
There was a certain power beautiful mothers held over their less beautiful daughters.
Books can be possessive, can't they? You're walking around in a bookstore and a certain one will jump out at you, like it had moved there on its own, just to get your attention. … 'Why do you buy books you don't even read?' our daughter asks us. That's like asking someone who lives alone why they bought a cat. For company, of course.

In this irresistible novel, Sarah Addison Allen, author of the New York Times bestselling debut, Garden Spells, tells the tale of a young woman whose family secrets—and secret passions—are about to change her life forever.

Josey Cirrini is sure of three things: winter is her favorite season, she’s a sorry excuse for a Southern belle, and sweets are best eaten in the privacy of her closet. For while Josey has settled into an uneventful life in her mother’s house, her one consolation is the stockpile of sugary treats and paperback romances she escapes to each night…. Until she finds her closet harboring Della Lee Baker, a local waitress who is one part nemesis—and two parts fairy godmother. With Della Lee’s tough love, Josey’s narrow existence quickly expands. She even bonds with Chloe Finley, a young woman who is hounded by books that inexplicably appear when she needs them—and who has a close connection to Josey’s longtime crush. Soon Josey is living in a world where the color red has startling powers, and passion can make eggs fry in their cartons. And that’s just for starters.

Brimming with warmth, wit, and a sprinkling of magic, here is a spellbinding tale of friendship, love—and the enchanting possibilities of every new day.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:22 -0400)

Josey Cirrini is sure of three things: winter is her favorite season, she's a sorry excuse for a Southern belle, and sweets are best eaten in the privacy of her closet. For while Josey has settled into an uneventful life in her mother's house, her one consolation is the stockpile of sugary treats and paperback romances she escapes to each night--Source other than Library of Congress.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Sarah Addison Allen's book The Sugar Queen was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Sarah Addison Allen is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,046,606 books! | Top bar: Always visible