Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

The Sugar Queen by Sarah Addison Allen

The Sugar Queen (edition 2008)

by Sarah Addison Allen

Info:Bantam (2008), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover

The Sugar Queen by Sarah Addison Allen

I loved this book. ( )
  deb.d | Jun 13, 2019 |
Shy and reclusive Josey lives with her mother in North Carolina. However, her life changes when an unexpected visitor is found hiding in her closet.
  mcmlsbookbutler | Apr 9, 2019 |
This is a fast, fun, cute read.
"Are you okay?" is used to annoyance and some of the grammar is hard to get past, but the story is cute.

The comparisons to sweets was interesting and in some cases entertaining. I liked the chapter names. The little mysteries in the story aren't rocket science to figure out, but add a little spice to the small town life story.

The relationship between Della Lee and Josey is endearing. I didn't care for Jake though and not thrilled how that story ended. ( )
  VhartPowers | Dec 27, 2018 |
I've loved all of Sarah Addison Allen's books and this is no exception. In fact, I think this one is my favorite. Each of her books has one magical element that seems to stick with me. In Garden Spells it was the apple tree. In The Girl Who Chased the Moon it was the wallpaper. In this one, it's the stalking books. I loved those books ;o). ( )
  KristinaSimon | Nov 24, 2018 |
Sarah Addison Allen is one of my favorite authors. Her book blend romance and magic perfectly.
I loved this book! The characters and storyline are believable AND magical!
  cubsfan3410 | Sep 1, 2018 |

Sarah Addison Allenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Meyers, AriadneReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my dad, with all my love
When Josey woke up and saw the feathery frost on her windowpane, she smiled.
She felt him getting nearer, felt it like a pull in the pit of her stomach. It felt like hunger but deeper, heavier. Like the best kind of expectation. Ice cream expectation. Chocolate expectation.
He was seated at the bar, surrounded by women, women who existed only at night, thin sheets of steel, all sharp edges and shine, undulating and unsteady.
Ice queens didn't break, after all. They melted. And Marco didn't have enough warmth for that.
There was a certain power beautiful mothers held over their less beautiful daughters.
Books can be possessive, can't they? You're walking around in a bookstore and a certain one will jump out at you, like it had moved there on its own, just to get your attention. … 'Why do you buy books you don't even read?' our daughter asks us. That's like asking someone who lives alone why they bought a cat. For company, of course.

In this irresistible novel, Sarah Addison Allen, author of the New York Times bestselling debut, Garden Spells, tells the tale of a young woman whose family secrets—and secret passions—are about to change her life forever.

Josey Cirrini is sure of three things: winter is her favorite season, she’s a sorry excuse for a Southern belle, and sweets are best eaten in the privacy of her closet. For while Josey has settled into an uneventful life in her mother’s house, her one consolation is the stockpile of sugary treats and paperback romances she escapes to each night…. Until she finds her closet harboring Della Lee Baker, a local waitress who is one part nemesis—and two parts fairy godmother. With Della Lee’s tough love, Josey’s narrow existence quickly expands. She even bonds with Chloe Finley, a young woman who is hounded by books that inexplicably appear when she needs them—and who has a close connection to Josey’s longtime crush. Soon Josey is living in a world where the color red has startling powers, and passion can make eggs fry in their cartons. And that’s just for starters.

Brimming with warmth, wit, and a sprinkling of magic, here is a spellbinding tale of friendship, love—and the enchanting possibilities of every new day.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:22 -0400)

Josey Cirrini is sure of three things: winter is her favorite season, she's a sorry excuse for a Southern belle, and sweets are best eaten in the privacy of her closet. For while Josey has settled into an uneventful life in her mother's house, her one consolation is the stockpile of sugary treats and paperback romances she escapes to each night--Source other than Library of Congress.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Sarah Addison Allen's book The Sugar Queen was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Sarah Addison Allen is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,508,209 books! | Top bar: Always visible