The Sugar Queen by Sarah Addison Allen

The Sugar Queen (edition 2008)

by Sarah Addison Allen

Member:christina_reads
Title:The Sugar Queen
Authors:Sarah Addison Allen
Info:Bantam (2008), Edition: 1st Printing, Hardcover, 288 pages
Tags:fiction, chick lit, contemporary, 12 in 12

The Sugar Queen by Sarah Addison Allen

I liked this one despite its flaws because Sarah Addison Allen books are just so damn charming. This one is no exception. Josie is way more sheltered and "martyr-y" than I normally like my character, but again the charm works it's way in and I ended up liking her. And maybe I read too much fantasy or have studied too much symbolism but I figured out the Della Lee thing about 10 minutes in. So those reveals were pretty anti-climatic. But the charm and likability factor is definitely there so it still worked for me. ( )
  CCleveland | Oct 20, 2014 |
This was an engaging enough story. Josie Cirrini lives at home and cares for her elderly mother and never has much fun. But one day, Della Lee Baker shows up in her closet and turns her world upside down. She makes a friend, whose boyfriend has just cheated on her, and see the mailman Adam (who she has a crush on) more than once a day. The conflicts pile up and then are resolved rather neatly.

I've read Sarah Addison Allen before, so I knew that this would be a relatively simple story. I liked the touches of magical realism - especially the way that just the right book always shows up in Josie's friends life at the right time. However, I was forced to suspend disbelief a few too many times when the story came together a bit too neatly (for example, who lets a stranger stay in their closet for days on end). And the relationship between Josie and her mother was a bit one-dimensional and stereotypical. All of it added up to just a so-so read for me. ( )
  porch_reader | Aug 13, 2014 |
I love that this main character isn't the typical skinny perfect woman, she learns to forgive and accept herself in order to find her happiness. All the candy talk always makes me hungry when reading this one. Once again another fast paced wonderful read. The story and characters are so captivating I hate when I done and usually want to start over again ( )
  Kr15tina | Feb 5, 2014 |
Another delight from Sarah Addison Allen. Josey exists to care for her mother, attoning for her behavior as a child. Adam is escaping his life after a skiing accident. Chloe and Jake split up after he admits to sleeping with another woman but won't reveal her name--for good reason. And then there's Della Lee, living in Josey's closet and directing her life in an unexpected new direction. Love, family, loss, and a touch of magic to tie it all together.
  LibraryGirl11 | Jan 2, 2014 |
I really enjoyed this, and couldn't put it down. It was one of those book club choices that completely fooled me, since I'd almost given up on the group. I admit to loving books about women in the south, since I've known so many of them (including many I'm related to), but this one was fine to read even if you're never been closer to North Carolina than Iowa. ( )
  Lyndatrue | Nov 28, 2013 |
For my dad, with all my love
When Josey woke up and saw the feathery frost on her windowpane, she smiled.
She felt him getting nearer, felt it like a pull in the pit of her stomach. It felt like hunger but deeper, heavier. Like the best kind of expectation. Ice cream expectation. Chocolate expectation.
He was seated at the bar, surrounded by women, women who existed only at night, thin sheets of steel, all sharp edges and shine, undulating and unsteady.
Ice queens didn't break, after all. They melted. And Marco didn't have enough warmth for that.
There was a certain power beautiful mothers held over their less beautiful daughters.
Books can be possessive, can't they? You're walking around in a bookstore and a certain one will jump out at you, like it had moved there on its own, just to get your attention. … 'Why do you buy books you don't even read?' our daughter asks us. That's like asking someone who lives alone why they bought a cat. For company, of course.

In this irresistible novel, Sarah Addison Allen, author of the New York Times bestselling debut, Garden Spells, tells the tale of a young woman whose family secrets—and secret passions—are about to change her life forever.

Josey Cirrini is sure of three things: winter is her favorite season, she’s a sorry excuse for a Southern belle, and sweets are best eaten in the privacy of her closet. For while Josey has settled into an uneventful life in her mother’s house, her one consolation is the stockpile of sugary treats and paperback romances she escapes to each night…. Until she finds her closet harboring Della Lee Baker, a local waitress who is one part nemesis—and two parts fairy godmother. With Della Lee’s tough love, Josey’s narrow existence quickly expands. She even bonds with Chloe Finley, a young woman who is hounded by books that inexplicably appear when she needs them—and who has a close connection to Josey’s longtime crush. Soon Josey is living in a world where the color red has startling powers, and passion can make eggs fry in their cartons. And that’s just for starters.

Brimming with warmth, wit, and a sprinkling of magic, here is a spellbinding tale of friendship, love—and the enchanting possibilities of every new day.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:34:40 -0400)

Josey Cirrini is sure of three things: winter is her favorite season, she's a sorry excuse for a Southern belle, and sweets are best eaten in the privacy of her closet. For while Josey has settled into an uneventful life in her mother's house, her one consolation is the stockpile of sugary treats and paperback romances she escapes to each night--Source other than Library of Congress.… (more)

Sarah Addison Allen is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Sugar Queen by Sarah Addison Allen was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,042,399 books! | Top bar: Always visible