The Sugar Queen by Sarah Addison Allen

The Sugar Queen (edition 2008)

by Sarah Addison Allen

1,900None3,594 (3.99)252
Member:christina_reads
Title:The Sugar Queen
Authors:Sarah Addison Allen
Info:Bantam (2008), Edition: 1st Printing, Hardcover, 288 pages
Tags:fiction, chick lit, contemporary, 12 in 12

The Sugar Queen by Sarah Addison Allen

2008 (15) 2009 (17) 2010 (11) 2011 (16) books (13) candy (30) chick lit (31) contemporary fiction (16) family (32) fantasy (60) fiction (204) friendship (21) ghosts (30) love (23) magic (64) magical realism (119) mothers and daughters (19) North Carolina (58) read (28) read in 2008 (16) read in 2009 (19) read in 2011 (13) relationships (17) romance (82) sisters (33) southern (18) southern fiction (18) to-read (32) women (12) women's fiction (14)

I love that this main character isn't the typical skinny perfect woman, she learns to forgive and accept herself in order to find her happiness. All the candy talk always makes me hungry when reading this one. Once again another fast paced wonderful read. The story and characters are so captivating I hate when I done and usually want to start over again ( )
  Kr15tina | Feb 5, 2014 |
I think this is my favorite book by Sarah Addison Allen. A ghost story, a romance, some family angst and books that show up when you need them and follow you around when you try to ignore them. This is my second time reading and I enjoyed it all over again. ( )
  thingtwo | Jan 15, 2014 |
Another delight from Sarah Addison Allen. Josey exists to care for her mother, attoning for her behavior as a child. Adam is escaping his life after a skiing accident. Chloe and Jake split up after he admits to sleeping with another woman but won't reveal her name--for good reason. And then there's Della Lee, living in Josey's closet and directing her life in an unexpected new direction. Love, family, loss, and a touch of magic to tie it all together.
  LibraryGirl11 | Jan 2, 2014 |
I really enjoyed this, and couldn't put it down. It was one of those book club choices that completely fooled me, since I'd almost given up on the group. I admit to loving books about women in the south, since I've known so many of them (including many I'm related to), but this one was fine to read even if you're never been closer to North Carolina than Iowa. ( )
  Lyndatrue | Nov 28, 2013 |
Finalmente ho ritrovato la voglia di leggere con questo libro stupendo, dolce e intrigante al punto giusto. Non riuscivo a smettere di pensare alle vite di Chloe, di Della Lee e della dolce Josye, (che, insomma, in qualche periodo della nostra vita siamo state un po' Josye anche noi), a come sarebbe cambiata la vita di ognuna di loro ed, infine a come si sarebbe intrecciata...Veramente bello!!! ( )
  Emanuela.Booklove | Oct 6, 2013 |
For my dad, with all my love
When Josey woke up and saw the feathery frost on her windowpane, she smiled.
She felt him getting nearer, felt it like a pull in the pit of her stomach. It felt like hunger but deeper, heavier. Like the best kind of expectation. Ice cream expectation. Chocolate expectation.
He was seated at the bar, surrounded by women, women who existed only at night, thin sheets of steel, all sharp edges and shine, undulating and unsteady.
Ice queens didn't break, after all. They melted. And Marco didn't have enough warmth for that.
There was a certain power beautiful mothers held over their less beautiful daughters.
Books can be possessive, can't they? You're walking around in a bookstore and a certain one will jump out at you, like it had moved there on its own, just to get your attention. … 'Why do you buy books you don't even read?' our daughter asks us. That's like asking someone who lives alone why they bought a cat. For company, of course.

In this irresistible novel, Sarah Addison Allen, author of the New York Times bestselling debut, Garden Spells, tells the tale of a young woman whose family secrets—and secret passions—are about to change her life forever.

Josey Cirrini is sure of three things: winter is her favorite season, she’s a sorry excuse for a Southern belle, and sweets are best eaten in the privacy of her closet. For while Josey has settled into an uneventful life in her mother’s house, her one consolation is the stockpile of sugary treats and paperback romances she escapes to each night…. Until she finds her closet harboring Della Lee Baker, a local waitress who is one part nemesis—and two parts fairy godmother. With Della Lee’s tough love, Josey’s narrow existence quickly expands. She even bonds with Chloe Finley, a young woman who is hounded by books that inexplicably appear when she needs them—and who has a close connection to Josey’s longtime crush. Soon Josey is living in a world where the color red has startling powers, and passion can make eggs fry in their cartons. And that’s just for starters.

Brimming with warmth, wit, and a sprinkling of magic, here is a spellbinding tale of friendship, love—and the enchanting possibilities of every new day.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:34:40 -0400)

Josey Cirrini is sure of three things: winter is her favorite season, she's a sorry excuse for a Southern belle, and sweets are best eaten in the privacy of her closet. For while Josey has settled into an uneventful life in her mother's house, her one consolation is the stockpile of sugary treats and paperback romances she escapes to each night--Source other than Library of Congress.… (more)

Sarah Addison Allen is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Sugar Queen by Sarah Addison Allen was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,495,504 books! | Top bar: Always visible