The Sugar Queen by Sarah Addison Allen

The Sugar Queen (edition 2008)

by Sarah Addison Allen

2,2431922,861 (3.98)273
Member:christina_reads
Title:The Sugar Queen
Authors:Sarah Addison Allen
Info:Bantam (2008), Edition: 1st Printing, Hardcover, 288 pages
Tags:fiction, chick lit, contemporary, 12 in 12

The Sugar Queen by Sarah Addison Allen

To sum this book up in one word I would have to go with, meh.

The Sugar Queen is an easy read, very predictable, lighthearted with just a touch of whimsy. While it didn't wow me, and I don't feel like it will be winning any major literary awards anytime soon, I didn't feel it was a complete waste of time. This is the perfect beach book, or something to take along when you go on vacation. It doesn't require a lot of effort or thought, but entertaining enough to keep your attention.
The book takes place in the mountains of North Carolina (shout out to the home state!) in a small ski town, Bald Slope. Josey Cirrini, 28 year old ski queen heiress lives with her disgruntled mother, jumping at her beck and call, forgoing living her own life to cater to her mothers whims and wishes. Josey's father passed away when she was young and Josey has glittering memories of him as a doting and caring father (she later comes to realize, her fathers reputation may not have been so sterling after all, hiding more than a few skeletons). Josey has no friends, no boyfriend (although she does pine after the mailman Adam), no job. She solely exists to take care of her mother; chauffeuring her to luncheons, picking up her groceries, giving all outward appearances of an obedient daughter. Every week is the same as the last, routine and structure the norm. Until one day Della Lee Baker, a no holds bar woman from town, shows up in Josey's closest and refuses to leave.

The sudden appearance of Della turns Josey's world upside down. Things are changing, Josey is changing. Through the incessant urging and nagging of Della, Josey slowly ventures outside her comfort zone, makes a new friend Chloe Finely, encounters a charismatic dangerous foe, Julian, and boldly explores her romantic feelings with Adam.

I did enjoy how each of the characters had their own hint of magic which was very subtle, adding a kind of whimsical lightness to the story, but the story was soooo painfully predictable, I knew the ending after reading the fist three chapters. Perfect book to read while traveling or if you just want something light and easy, if you are looking for something more complex and intriguing I'd pass. ( )
  courtneygiraldo | Aug 23, 2016 |
Delightful. Enchanting.

Josey Cirrini, at 27, has lived her entire life under her mother's critical thumb. She's in love the mailman who delivers their mail, she has a secret closet filled with forbidden sweets and romance novels, and she swears that her favorite red cardigan has magical qualities.

Set in a quirky, North Carolina ski resort Josey's story is terrific. One morning, Della Lee Baker shows up in Josey's closet, needing a place to hide out, and she won't leave. Della Lee is a bit of a mystery herself, and although Josey can't admit it, is a bit of a fairy godmother too. Through their conversations and arguments, Della Lee slowly helps Josey come out of her shell, make new friends, stand up to her mother and, most importantly, find herself. Secrets are revealed, friendships are formed and relationships strengthened.

I loved Josey and Chloe. I loved Chloe's relationship with books. How cool would it be for the book that you need in your life to suddenly appear? I enjoyed watching Josey blossom and become comfortable and happy with herself. Like Sarah Addison Allen's previous book Garden Spells, this one has a dusting of magic. I love the concept that ordinary people have extraordinary gifts.

There is mild, disappointing use of the "F" word. Most people would say it is used in context, but I just find it vulgar and unnecessary. So many other words could be used. Still, I loved the book. I can easily recommend it. Absolutely charming. ( )
  2kidsandtired | Aug 2, 2016 |
Delightful. Enchanting.

2kidsandtired | Aug 2, 2016 |
3 ILL plus one CC
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 5, 2016 |
Sarah Addison Allen is a magician in herself. She is able to put a tinge of magic somehow in her stories. I loved the story of Josey Cirrini, a rich woman but no dreams of her own meets Della lee in her closet. Della lee stays in the closet and helps Josey to find a friend Chloe Finley, love as Adam and a life far away from her mother.

I was a good read with lots of sweets and magic :) ( )
  PallaviSharma | May 9, 2016 |

Sarah Addison Allenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Meyers, AriadneReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my dad, with all my love
When Josey woke up and saw the feathery frost on her windowpane, she smiled.
She felt him getting nearer, felt it like a pull in the pit of her stomach. It felt like hunger but deeper, heavier. Like the best kind of expectation. Ice cream expectation. Chocolate expectation.
He was seated at the bar, surrounded by women, women who existed only at night, thin sheets of steel, all sharp edges and shine, undulating and unsteady.
Ice queens didn't break, after all. They melted. And Marco didn't have enough warmth for that.
There was a certain power beautiful mothers held over their less beautiful daughters.
Books can be possessive, can't they? You're walking around in a bookstore and a certain one will jump out at you, like it had moved there on its own, just to get your attention. … 'Why do you buy books you don't even read?' our daughter asks us. That's like asking someone who lives alone why they bought a cat. For company, of course.

In this irresistible novel, Sarah Addison Allen, author of the New York Times bestselling debut, Garden Spells, tells the tale of a young woman whose family secrets—and secret passions—are about to change her life forever.

Josey Cirrini is sure of three things: winter is her favorite season, she’s a sorry excuse for a Southern belle, and sweets are best eaten in the privacy of her closet. For while Josey has settled into an uneventful life in her mother’s house, her one consolation is the stockpile of sugary treats and paperback romances she escapes to each night…. Until she finds her closet harboring Della Lee Baker, a local waitress who is one part nemesis—and two parts fairy godmother. With Della Lee’s tough love, Josey’s narrow existence quickly expands. She even bonds with Chloe Finley, a young woman who is hounded by books that inexplicably appear when she needs them—and who has a close connection to Josey’s longtime crush. Soon Josey is living in a world where the color red has startling powers, and passion can make eggs fry in their cartons. And that’s just for starters.

Brimming with warmth, wit, and a sprinkling of magic, here is a spellbinding tale of friendship, love—and the enchanting possibilities of every new day.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:22 -0400)

Josey Cirrini is sure of three things: winter is her favorite season, she's a sorry excuse for a Southern belle, and sweets are best eaten in the privacy of her closet. For while Josey has settled into an uneventful life in her mother's house, her one consolation is the stockpile of sugary treats and paperback romances she escapes to each night--Source other than Library of Congress.… (more)

Sarah Addison Allen is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Sugar Queen by Sarah Addison Allen was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,470,352 books! | Top bar: Always visible