The Sugar Queen by Sarah Addison Allen

The Sugar Queen (edition 2008)

by Sarah Addison Allen

Member:christina_reads
Title:The Sugar Queen
Authors:Sarah Addison Allen
Info:Bantam (2008), Edition: 1st Printing, Hardcover, 288 pages
Tags:fiction, chick lit, contemporary, 12 in 12

The Sugar Queen by Sarah Addison Allen

A great story reminescnet of Alice Hoffman, Allen uses magic realism to tell the story of several small-town women who are bound together by experiences they don't quite understand. ( )
  macescamilla | Jul 24, 2015 |
I really appreciate how each of Allen's books is different. While they all have some kind of magical realism, there is more or less depending on the story and the stories are not cookie cutter stories. This was a great story of friendship and unlikely sisters and how privilege does not necessarily mean you've got it all. ( )
  hoosgracie | Apr 6, 2015 |
I really enjoyed both of the Waverly books by Allen. This was the first stand alone book I have read by Addison. It was okay, but definitely not my favorite. There is a bit of magical realism in here, but not nearly as much as in the Waverly books. It basically follows a couple young women around as they deal with life issues and try to find their way to happiness.

Josey is living a pretty sorry life as a 27 year old. She was a horrible child and has spent most of her life trying to make up for it by caring for her mother’s every need....Josey’s mother is not a nice person. Things start to change for Josey when the wild Della Lee shows up in her closet, Della is fleeing something and begs to stay in Josey’s closet to take a breather from her life. Della pushes Josey to try new things and before Josey knows what’s happening Josey has befriended the slightly odd Chloe Finley. Then Josey actually decides to talk to the mailman Adam who she’s had a crush on for years. All of this leads to Josey and the people around her taking risks and working to make their lives a better and more happy place to be.

This book is written in the beautiful writing style that all of Allen's books are written in. However I had some trouble engaging with the characters and just thought the whole story was a bit boring. The book didn't give me the comforting warm feeling that her Waverly books do.

I had a lot of trouble engaging with Josey, she was just so cowed by her mother and so scared to step outside her comfort zone. She does grow a lot as a character throughout the book, but as the main heroine of the story she wasn’t my favorite. Josey hides candy in her closet and eats it in secret as a way to deal with her unhappiness (hence the title of the book).

I liked the character of Chloe better. Chloe has a mysterious power, books randomly appear around her and they are always books that will help her in some way. When her husband cheats on her Chloe feels betrayed and desperate. Only her budding friendship with Josey allows her some stability and helps her from making some truly bad decisions.

Adam is Josey’s love interest and he was a well done character. He is very sweet and loving towards Josey and has some secrets of his own. I thought the relationship between him and Josey was sweet but they two didn’t have explosive chemistry. Theirs was more of a gentle lull of a relationship.

There is a big twist at the end of the book that I kind of saw coming. However, I found most of the story to be a bit boring. It was more of a drama/soap opera than anything, even with the small bits of magical realism throughout.

Overall this wasn't a bad book, but it wasn't my favorite either. I like Addison’s Waverly series a lot more. This book was mostly the drama of a number of women trying to find their way in life. Parts were a bit boring and I had trouble engaging with the characters. There is a nice twist at the end of the story and I did enjoy the beautiful writing style. I guess I would recommend to die hard Addison fans or to those who like reading those Lifetime drama sorts of books. ( )
  krau0098 | Feb 21, 2015 |
At least it was better than "The Girl Who Chased The Moon" but nowhere as enchanting as "Garden Spells". ( )
  Staci09 | Jan 2, 2015 |
I liked this one despite its flaws because Sarah Addison Allen books are just so damn charming. This one is no exception. Josie is way more sheltered and "martyr-y" than I normally like my character, but again the charm works it's way in and I ended up liking her. And maybe I read too much fantasy or have studied too much symbolism but I figured out the Della Lee thing about 10 minutes in. So those reveals were pretty anti-climatic. But the charm and likability factor is definitely there so it still worked for me. ( )
1 vote CCleveland | Oct 20, 2014 |
For my dad, with all my love
When Josey woke up and saw the feathery frost on her windowpane, she smiled.
She felt him getting nearer, felt it like a pull in the pit of her stomach. It felt like hunger but deeper, heavier. Like the best kind of expectation. Ice cream expectation. Chocolate expectation.
He was seated at the bar, surrounded by women, women who existed only at night, thin sheets of steel, all sharp edges and shine, undulating and unsteady.
Ice queens didn't break, after all. They melted. And Marco didn't have enough warmth for that.
There was a certain power beautiful mothers held over their less beautiful daughters.
Books can be possessive, can't they? You're walking around in a bookstore and a certain one will jump out at you, like it had moved there on its own, just to get your attention. … 'Why do you buy books you don't even read?' our daughter asks us. That's like asking someone who lives alone why they bought a cat. For company, of course.

In this irresistible novel, Sarah Addison Allen, author of the New York Times bestselling debut, Garden Spells, tells the tale of a young woman whose family secrets—and secret passions—are about to change her life forever.

Josey Cirrini is sure of three things: winter is her favorite season, she’s a sorry excuse for a Southern belle, and sweets are best eaten in the privacy of her closet. For while Josey has settled into an uneventful life in her mother’s house, her one consolation is the stockpile of sugary treats and paperback romances she escapes to each night…. Until she finds her closet harboring Della Lee Baker, a local waitress who is one part nemesis—and two parts fairy godmother. With Della Lee’s tough love, Josey’s narrow existence quickly expands. She even bonds with Chloe Finley, a young woman who is hounded by books that inexplicably appear when she needs them—and who has a close connection to Josey’s longtime crush. Soon Josey is living in a world where the color red has startling powers, and passion can make eggs fry in their cartons. And that’s just for starters.

Brimming with warmth, wit, and a sprinkling of magic, here is a spellbinding tale of friendship, love—and the enchanting possibilities of every new day.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:22 -0400)

Josey Cirrini is sure of three things: winter is her favorite season, she's a sorry excuse for a Southern belle, and sweets are best eaten in the privacy of her closet. For while Josey has settled into an uneventful life in her mother's house, her one consolation is the stockpile of sugary treats and paperback romances she escapes to each night--Source other than Library of Congress.… (more)

Sarah Addison Allen is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Sugar Queen by Sarah Addison Allen was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,152,840 books! | Top bar: Always visible