Your Inner Fish: A Journey into the…

Your Inner Fish: A Journey into the 3.5-Billion-Year History of the Human…

by Neil Shubin

2008 (10) anatomy (71) animals (12) anthropology (7) biology (187) DNA (12) ebook (11) evolution (325) evolutionary biology (14) fish (17) fossils (27) genetics (32) history (16) human anatomy (16) human body (7) human evolution (30) humans (10) Kindle (10) library (8) natural history (24) non-fiction (155) own (7) paleontology (109) popular science (22) read (17) read in 2008 (8) read in 2009 (8) science (283) to-read (33) unread (9)

English (41)  Dutch (1)  Norwegian (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (44)
The title and cover warrant five stars. But the rest of the book was more like three and a half stars. I particularly enjoyed the descriptions of the scientific process and how paleontologists go about finding the proverbial needle in the haystack. I also liked the way the author brought together paleontology, genetics, and embryology into a coherent story. Some of the particular topics, like that anatomy of hands and teeth were fascinating.

But going through each aspect of our anatomy, bit by bit, with relatively little analytic content (or at least not much that was new to me) could drag at times. And there wasn't nearly as much to take away from the book as there was from, for example, Sean Carroll's Making of the Fittest. ( )
  nosajeel | Jun 21, 2014 |
Your Inner Fish is an excellent book for those who are interested in paleontology and anatomy. Shubin accounts for his team's own discovery with an in depth analysis of the evolution of humans from the very beginning of life on Earth. This makes the accredits the discovery by making it seem like the missing puzzle piece to all of Biology. The discovery did play a huge role in many modern advances, but some bias is apparent as the first few chapters are made into more of a biography than the scientific informative piece it is made out to be. The book nonetheless provides interesting connections in a broad scope among biological fields that all point to the genetics that control evolution as a whole. The reasons behind Tiktaalik's existence provide an intriguing argument for the theory of evolution. ( )
  lantolin15 | Nov 3, 2013 |
Interesting premise but long winded, meandering and repetitive. Author takes unnecessary detour to his own career to illustrate points that could be better explained otherwise. Author is also a incessant name dropper.
But, the book provides incontrovertible evidence to the reality of evolution. If you still deny evolution after reading this book, nothing will convince you.
  aamermoquim | Aug 19, 2013 |
A basic, approachable look at human evolution, including some very interesting sections on the possible and convoluted origins of certain health issues (hiccups, hernias). Shubin's got a reasonably funny sense of humor and keeps the book moving along at a good, brisk pace. ( )
1 vote JBD1 | Aug 11, 2013 |
This book started out slow for me, but I grew to like it more and more as I went on. Shubin's boyish sense of humor asserted itself in the latter parts of the book, to my delight. The book is very easy to understand, so much so that I would unreservedly recommend it to any bright middle schooler who wants to understand evolution, and I think it belongs in every high school library. The drawings are brilliant, not to mention amusing. Shubin also uses practical and interesting examples to illustrate the concepts he's discussing. In addition to all that, he told me exactly why people who drink a lot think they are spinning when in fact they are not moving at all.

Recommended. ( )
  satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |
Shubin's engaging book reveals our fishy origins (for which we can thank hiccupping and hernias) and shows how life on Earth is profoundly interrelated. A book after Darwin's heart.

Shubin connects with sections on his own work discovering fossils, and on the sometimes surprising roots of modern human complaints. But the paleontologist can't escape his own academic history — much of Your Inner Fish reads like a cross between fleshed-out lecture notes and a dummed-down textbook.

Your Inner Fish combines Shubin's and others' discoveries to present a twenty-first-century anatomy lesson. The simple, passionate writing may turn more than a few high-school students into aspiring biologists.
added by jlelliott | editNature, Carl Zimmer (pay site) (Jan 17, 2008)

Shubin, Neilprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Barth, BrianCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Monoyios, KalliopiIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nieuwstadt, Mark vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Michele
Typical summers of my adult life are spent in snow and sleet, cracking rocks on cliffs well north of the Arctic Circle.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0307277453, Paperback)

Oliver Sacks on Your Inner Fish Since the 1970 publication of Migraine, neurologist Oliver Sacks's unusual and fascinating case histories of "differently brained" people and phenomena--a surgeon with Tourette's syndrome, a community of people born totally colorblind, musical hallucinations, to name a few--have been marked by extraordinary compassion and humanity, focusing on the patient as much as the condition. His books include The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat, Awakenings (which inspired the Oscar-nominated film), and 2007's Musicophilia. He lives in New York City, where he is Professor of Clinical Neurology at Columbia University. Your Inner Fish is my favorite sort of book--an intelligent, exhilarating, and compelling scientific adventure story, one which will change forever how you understand what it means to be human. The field of evolutionary biology is just beginning an exciting new age of discovery, and Neil Shubin's research expeditions around the world have redefined the way we now look at the origins of mammals, frogs, crocodiles, tetrapods, and sarcopterygian fish--and thus the way we look at the descent of humankind. One of Shubin's groundbreaking discoveries, only a year and a half ago, was the unearthing of a fish with elbows and a neck, a long-sought evolutionary "missing link" between creatures of the sea and land-dwellers. My own mother was a surgeon and a comparative anatomist, and she drummed it into me, and into all of her students, that our own anatomy is unintelligible without a knowledge of its evolutionary origins and precursors. The human body becomes infinitely fascinating with such knowledge, which Shubin provides here with grace and clarity. Your Inner Fish shows us how, like the fish with elbows, we carry the whole history of evolution within our own bodies, and how the human genome links us with the rest of life on earth. Shubin is not only a distinguished scientist, but a wonderfully lucid and elegant writer; he is an irrepressibly enthusiastic teacher whose humor and intelligence and spellbinding narrative make this book an absolute delight. Your Inner Fish is not only a great read; it marks the debut of a science writer of the first rank. (Photo © Elena Seibert) A Note from Author Neil Shubin This book grew out of an extraordinary circumstance in my life. On account of faculty departures, I ended up directing the human anatomy course at the University of Chicago medical school. Anatomy is the course during which nervous first-year medical students dissect human cadavers while learning the names and organization of most of the organs, holes, nerves, and vessels in the body. This is their grand entrance to the world of medicine, a formative experience on their path to becoming physicians. At first glance, you couldn't have imagined a worse candidate for the job of training the next generation of doctors: I'm a fish paleontologist. It turns out that being a paleontologist is a huge advantage in teaching human anatomy. Why? The best roadmaps to human bodies lie in the bodies of other animals. The simplest way to teach students the nerves in the human head is to show them the state of affairs in sharks. The easiest roadmap to their limbs lies in fish. Reptiles are a real help with the structure of the brain. The reason is that the bodies of these creatures are simpler versions of ours. During the summer of my second year leading the course, working in the Arctic, my colleagues and I discovered fossil fish that gave us powerful new insights into the invasion of land by fish over 375 million years ago. That discovery and my foray into teaching human anatomy led me to a profound connection. That connection became this book. Click on thumbnails for larger images The crew removing the first Tiktaalik in 2004 Ted Daeschler and Neil Shubin propecting for new sites (Credit: Andrew Gillis) The valley where Tiktaalik was discovered (credit: Ted Daeschler, Academy of Natural Sciences) The models of Tiktaalik being constructed for exhibition (Tyler Keillor, University of Chicago) Me with one of the models (John Weinstein, Field Museum)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:29:36 -0400)

Neil Shubin, a leading paleontologist and professor of anatomy who discovered Tiktaalik--the "missing link" that made headlines around the world in April 2006--tells the story of evolution by tracing the organs of the human body back millions of years, long before the first creatures walked the earth. By examining fossils and DNA, Shubin shows us that our hands actually resemble fish fins, our head is organized like that of a long-extinct jawless fish, and major parts of our genome look and function like those of worms and bacteria.--From publisher description.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,475,553 books! | Top bar: Always visible