The Storyteller's Daughter by Cameron Dokey

The Storyteller's Daughter (edition 2002)

by Cameron Dokey (Author)

"ONCE UPON A TIME"IS TIMELESS In a faraway kingdom, a king has been betrayed. Deeply hurt and bitterly angry, he vows never to be deceived again. Unfortunately, the king's plan to protect himself will endanger all of the realm's young women, unless one of them will volunteer to marry the king -- and surrender her life. To everyone's relief and horror, one young woman steps forward. The daughter of a legendary storyteller, Shahrazad believes it is her destiny to accept this risk and sacrifice herself. On the night of her wedding to the king, Shahrazad begins to weave a tale. Fascinated, the king lets her live night after night. Just when Shahrazad dares to believe that she has found a way to keep her life -- and an unexpected love -- a treacherous plot will disrupt her plan. Now she can only hope that love is strong enough to save her.… (more)
Member:Desyou
Title:The Storyteller's Daughter
Authors:Cameron Dokey (Author)
Info:Simon Pulse (2002), Edition: 1, 240 pages
Rating:*****

The Storyteller's Daughter: A Retelling of "The Arabian Nights" by Cameron Dokey

Recently added bydraenei, Mspence9, rachelreading, private library, AllAndAnyBooks, askannakarenina
    Shadow Spinner by Susan Fletcher (Anonymous user, HollyMS)
    HollyMS: Both works are about Scheherazade.

lcslibrarian | Aug 13, 2020 |
3.5 stars. ( )
  litetmonster | Jan 25, 2019 |
This is the first book in the Once Upon A Time series. The first one I read was actually "Snow," and then I gathered all the rest from various places because I love them so much. I just recently decided to re-read the entire series. (And no, it's not a series you need to read in order - each book is based on a separate fairy tale.)

The Storyteller's Daughter is based off the The Arabian Nights, or The One Thousand and One Nights, or Tales of the Arabian Nights - pick your poison. Having never read the original (ok, that's not entirely accurate, let's say instead "any of the translations"), I can't speak to the accuracy of the story. The story Dokey tells, though, is positively enchanting.

Dokey tells the story of Shahrazad in beautiful language that has a form very much like I would expect to see the translations written in. The story is told by Shahrazad, the greatest storyteller of all time, and feels, to me, very authentic - as though it were truly Shahrazad telling her story. There are some beautiful phrases, such as the tear welling up from the crack in Shahrazad's heart, that I feel fit very well with the time and place of the story, and these phrases fit in well with the stories Shahrazad is telling, as well as being lovely.

While I didn't laugh out loud reading this book, I did smile a lot, and I even teared up some. This is a great read, and a pretty quick one. I always have the oddest feeling upon completing these Once Upon A Time books, one of satisfaction at the completion of a great story, and also as if I've just said goodbye to a dear friend. ( )
  ElleyOtter | Nov 28, 2017 |
The book starts off with Shahrazad herself actually addressing you saying that this is her true story as she alone can tell it and makes it sound uberdramatic. THEN it switches to a third person omniscient tale that is so nonsuspenseful I struggled to keep my mind on the story as I read. ( )
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |

Cameron Dokeyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Craft, KinukoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Craft, Mahlon F.Cover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This Book Is For:
Lisa, always and forever the fairest of them all
Jodi, who's no slouch either
Sina, may all your storytelling dreams come true
And for Maju and her daughters
A story is alive, as you and I are.
Once, in days so long past even the graybeards among you remember them only in stories, there lived a king who had two sons.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,652,741 books! | Top bar: Always visible