Valiant: A Modern Faerie Tale (Modern Faerie…

Valiant: A Modern Faerie Tale (Modern Faerie Tale) (edition 2006)

by Holly Black

Member:venie24
Title:Valiant: A Modern Faerie Tale (Modern Faerie Tale)
Authors:Holly Black
Info:Margaret K. McElderry Books (2006), Paperback, 320 pages

Valiant by Holly Black

English (83)  Spanish (1)  All languages (84)
Not really a sequel to Tithe, and absolutely nothing like it. The only likable character in the whole book is a troll. Could not relate and didn't want to. ( )
  mtlkch | Jun 21, 2016 |
Seventeen-year-old Val runs away to New York City, where she falls in with a gang of squatters who live in the city's subway system and consort with faeries, trolls, and other strange creatures.
  mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |
I loved her first novel, [b:Tithe|46777|Tithe A Modern Faerie Tale (Book 1)|Holly Black|http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51+RcA-59LL._SL75_.jpg|1460966], so very, very much. Valiant is a good follow-up, though it begins a little Poppy Z Brite-ish (descriptions of how cool and freakish everyone looks, with their newfangled dyed hair and piercings, ooh la la, etc.). The love story is fine, but Val’s transformation from bookwormish lacrosse player to courageous, drug-addled warrior is fun to watch.
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
Not quite as good as 'Tithe,' I thought, but I still enjoyed this very much.
Val, a teen from New Jersey, runs away when she finds out that her mom has been having an affair with her boyfriend. In shock, she goes to NYC, and falls in with some squatter kids living in the subway tunnels.

The best part of the book is the portrayal of the squatters, and the culture clash between their reality and that of the sheltered suburbanites. The author really captured the milieu - how such kids can be troubled, yet smart, have issues, but yet be welcoming, supportive and accepting. Still, she doesn't romanticize it.
It reminded me (a lot) of stuff I did in my teen years. I found it convincing.

Of course, urban vs. suburban isn't the only conflict here - the squatter kids are in touch with faeries, and involved with running a magic potion that helps urban faeries survive in the presence of iron. Unfortunately, for humans, the effects are an awful lot like those of heroin.

When faeries start turning up dead, the mystery of who's killing them needs to be solved... and that's where I didn't think the book was as strong. It ended up being a pretty typical drugs-and-murder-mystery kind of plot, with a bit of supernatural romance thrown in. It wasn't bad, but, as I said, I liked 'Tithe' better. (I thought this was a sequel, but they both work as stand-alone novels; they're just set in the same reality.) ( )
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
The exiled faeries’ living amongst humans was a neat concept and I liked the imagery of the teens living in the trenches of NYC. The teens are taking faerie medicine that has different effects on humans and makes them feel high. So even in this fantastical world we are learning a life lesson about drug use. Overall, the characters (Valerie, Lolli, Sketchy Dave, and Luis) are unlikeable and I had a hard time feeling sympathy for their lifestyle and well-being. I found Ravus, the troll, who Valerie makes deliveries for the most fascinating character. I wanted more characters like him that I was interested in. I don't plan on continuing this series. ( )
  clockwork_serenity | Jan 23, 2016 |

Holly Blackprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Yuen, SammyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For I shall learn from flower and leaf
That color every drop they hold,
To change the lifeless wine of grief
To living gold.

SARA TEASDALE, "ALCHEMY"
Now, here, you see, it takes all the running you can do, to keep in the same place. If you want to get somewhere else, you must run at least twice as fast as that!

-LEWIS CARROLL, THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS
Trying their wings once more in hopeless flight: Blind moths against the wires of window screens. Anything. Anything for a fix of light.

-X. J. KENNEDY, "STREET MOTHS," THE LORDS OF MISRULE
I have found the warm caves in the woods,
filled them with skillets, carvings, shelves,
closets, silks, innumerable goods;
fixed the suppers for the worms and the elves.

-ANNE SEXTON, "HER KIND"
We must not look at goblin men.
We must not buy their fruits:
Who knows upon what soil they fed
Their hungry thirsty roots?

-CHRISTINA ROSSETTI, "GOBLIN MARKET"
For my husband, Theo, because he likes angsty, angry girls
The tree woman choked on poison, the slow sap of her blood burning.

When seventeen-year-old Valerie runs away to New York City, she's trying to escape a life that has utterly betrayed her. Sporting a new identity, she takes up with a gang of squatters who live in the city's labyrinthine subway system.

But there's something eerily beguiling about Val's new friends. And when one talks Val into tracking down the lair of a mysterious creature with whom they are all involved, Val finds herself torn between her newfound affection for an honorable monster and her fear of what her new friends are becoming.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:04 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,422,367 books! | Top bar: Always visible