Valiant: A Modern Faerie Tale (Modern Faerie…

Valiant: A Modern Faerie Tale (Modern Faerie Tale) (edition 2006)

by Holly Black

Member:TheBookHoarder
Title:Valiant: A Modern Faerie Tale (Modern Faerie Tale)
Authors:Holly Black
Info:Margaret K. McElderry Books (2006), Paperback, 320 pages
Rating:*****

Valiant by Holly Black

English (74)  Spanish (1)  All languages (75)
I was really hoping to like this book. I was disappointed however. The characters were not well defined or built. The relationship between Valerie and her mother isn't explored well enough to elicit the type of response that Valerie expressed. Valerie isn't well defined either to explain why she would choose to go so far off the deep end over one incident. The sudden unexplained feelings between Ravus and Valerie also seemed dis-jointed and unaccounted for within the story, a sideways glance or two doesn't constitute undying love. I feel that the author could have done so much more with this story if time was taken to fully develop the characters. The plot is interesting but moves along in fits and starts. I'll continue to read this author because I believe that there is the good beginnings of great writing; I just hope to see it. ( )
  slsmitty25 | Feb 11, 2015 |
well writen story my kids enjoyed this book as we read this book at bedtime and they liked all the ups and downs as they said about this story and I had to get more of Holly Black's book for them ( )
  weelinda | Nov 14, 2014 |
Valiant: A Modern Tale of Faerie by Holly Black. Some interesting ideas. Fairly suspenseful. However, I thought it odd that a seventeen-year-old would have unprotected sex and share a needle while taking a new drug with no mention of pregnancy, HIV, or any STDS. Addiction was very lightly mentioned. It was all too casual, I felt, for a Young Adult book. ( )
  Bonnie_Ferrante | Apr 15, 2014 |
Lots of bad language, lots of drug use, lots of weird troll/fairy/freak oddities. I did finally sort of get into it about 2/3 the way through. Just really weird and not my genre. This teen stuff is tuff stuff!
  AbundaBookworms | Mar 31, 2014 |
Just as pretty as Tithe, and with some more meat; of the three books so far published I do like this one the best.

Still not the biggest fan of Holy Black, but six years later I still really like the end of this story. Really needed a dose of the bizarre that only faery can give. ( )
  swampygirl | Dec 9, 2013 |

Holly Blackprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Yuen, SammyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For I shall learn from flower and leaf
That color every drop they hold,
To change the lifeless wine of grief
To living gold.

SARA TEASDALE, "ALCHEMY"
Now, here, you see, it takes all the running you can do, to keep in the same place. If you want to get somewhere else, you must run at least twice as fast as that!

-LEWIS CARROLL, THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS
Trying their wings once more in hopeless flight: Blind moths against the wires of window screens. Anything. Anything for a fix of light.

-X. J. KENNEDY, "STREET MOTHS," THE LORDS OF MISRULE
I have found the warm caves in the woods,
filled them with skillets, carvings, shelves,
closets, silks, innumerable goods;
fixed the suppers for the worms and the elves.

-ANNE SEXTON, "HER KIND"
We must not look at goblin men.
We must not buy their fruits:
Who knows upon what soil they fed
Their hungry thirsty roots?

-CHRISTINA ROSSETTI, "GOBLIN MARKET"
For my husband, Theo, because he likes angsty, angry girls
The tree woman choked on poison, the slow sap of her blood burning.

When seventeen-year-old Valerie runs away to New York City, she's trying to escape a life that has utterly betrayed her. Sporting a new identity, she takes up with a gang of squatters who live in the city's labyrinthine subway system.

But there's something eerily beguiling about Val's new friends. And when one talks Val into tracking down the lair of a mysterious creature with whom they are all involved, Val finds herself torn between her newfound affection for an honorable monster and her fear of what her new friends are becoming.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:17:48 -0400)

Seventeen-year-old Val runs away to New York City, where she falls in with a gang of squatters who live in the city's subway system and consort with faeries, trolls, and other strange creatures.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,712,667 books! | Top bar: Always visible