Valiant: A Modern Faerie Tale (Modern Faerie…

Valiant: A Modern Faerie Tale (Modern Faerie Tale) (edition 2006)

by Holly Black

Member:TheBookHoarder
Title:Valiant: A Modern Faerie Tale (Modern Faerie Tale)
Authors:Holly Black
Info:Margaret K. McElderry Books (2006), Paperback, 320 pages
Rating:*****

Valiant by Holly Black

English (79)  Spanish (1)  All languages (80)
The exiled faeries’ living amongst humans was a neat concept and I liked the imagery of the teens living in the trenches of NYC. The teens are taking faerie medicine that has different effects on humans and makes them feel high. So even in this fantastical world we are learning a life lesson about drug use. Overall, the characters (Valerie, Lolli, Sketchy Dave, and Luis) are unlikeable and I had a hard time feeling sympathy for their lifestyle and well-being. I found Ravus, the troll, who Valerie makes deliveries for the most fascinating character. I wanted more characters like him that I was interested in. I don't plan on continuing this series. ( )
  clockwork_serenity | Jan 23, 2016 |
When she is faced with a major betrayal, seventeen year old Valerie runs away to New York City. She meets some friends who live in a deserted corner of the New York subway system. She soon discovers that her friends are involved with strange beings - exiled fairies that will risk living in the iron rich city to escape their former lives. As Val gets more entangled with the fairies and more addicted to a drug that gives her some magical powers, she begins to notice that something sinister is going on. Someone is killing exiled fairies and the mysterious troll that she runs errands for is under suspicion. Val must solve the mystery to save her new friend and find the courage in herself to face the truth and stop running.

I liked this second book in the series much better than the first (Tithe). Although it is a part of a series, the books stand alone and tell the story of new characters in the same world. I liked Val and appreciated her journey throughout the book. There were many times I wanted to shake some sense into her, but I supposed that her actions are the same that get many teenagers into similar situations - being homeless and addicted to drugs - despite having alternatives. I am not sure that I really bought into the romantic relationship in the book. I don't think the author showed us enough interaction between the two characters to make their feelings too believable. Although the book is written for young adults, I would recommend it only for older teens as there are descriptions of sex and drug use by the teenagers. Overall, it was an interesting read with some complex supporting characters. I just wish that the fairy characters were as interesting as the human ones. ( )
  Cora-R | Jan 13, 2016 |
When it seems as though everyone in Val’s life has betrayed her, she simply walks away...to New York City, where she falls in with a gang of squatters who live in the subway system. But there’s something off about her new friends. And when she ends up breaking into the lair of a mysterious creature with whom they’re all involved, and owing him as a consequence, she finds her new-found affection for him will help her battle the true evil in town. I bought this series at a used bookstore, and it sat on my to-read shelf for god-only-knows how many years before I finally picked it up and read it. It was good, but YA; book 2 definitely took a weird spin into unrelated territory before turning back; story elements I expected never appeared. It was satisfying, but the books went back into the used bookstore bag without much regret.
  lyrrael | Oct 17, 2015 |

Holly Blackprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Yuen, SammyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For I shall learn from flower and leaf
That color every drop they hold,
To change the lifeless wine of grief
To living gold.

SARA TEASDALE, "ALCHEMY"
Now, here, you see, it takes all the running you can do, to keep in the same place. If you want to get somewhere else, you must run at least twice as fast as that!

-LEWIS CARROLL, THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS
Trying their wings once more in hopeless flight: Blind moths against the wires of window screens. Anything. Anything for a fix of light.

-X. J. KENNEDY, "STREET MOTHS," THE LORDS OF MISRULE
I have found the warm caves in the woods,
filled them with skillets, carvings, shelves,
closets, silks, innumerable goods;
fixed the suppers for the worms and the elves.

-ANNE SEXTON, "HER KIND"
We must not look at goblin men.
We must not buy their fruits:
Who knows upon what soil they fed
Their hungry thirsty roots?

-CHRISTINA ROSSETTI, "GOBLIN MARKET"
For my husband, Theo, because he likes angsty, angry girls
The tree woman choked on poison, the slow sap of her blood burning.

When seventeen-year-old Valerie runs away to New York City, she's trying to escape a life that has utterly betrayed her. Sporting a new identity, she takes up with a gang of squatters who live in the city's labyrinthine subway system.

But there's something eerily beguiling about Val's new friends. And when one talks Val into tracking down the lair of a mysterious creature with whom they are all involved, Val finds herself torn between her newfound affection for an honorable monster and her fear of what her new friends are becoming.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:04 -0400)

Seventeen-year-old Val runs away to New York City, where she falls in with a gang of squatters who live in the city's subway system and consort with faeries, trolls, and other strange creatures.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,048,683 books! | Top bar: Always visible