Wren to the rescue by Sherwood Smith

Wren to the rescue (original 1990; edition 2004)

by Sherwood Smith

Series: Wren (1)

Member:infiniteletters
Title:Wren to the rescue
Authors:Sherwood Smith
Info:New York, N.Y., U.S.A. : Firebird, 2004.
Collections:Your library, Ether
Tags:verify, children, children's, fantasy, magic, orphans, friends, royalty, princesses, teleportation, telepathy, escape, shapeshifters, talking animals, dogs, travel, quest, series, Wren, from Bookmooch, small paperback

Wren to the Rescue by Sherwood Smith (1990)

Didn't enjoy this very much. It was a quick read and not very satisfying. I didn't care about Wren and the shape-shifting tease at the end, and I'm not remembering why. It wasn't as fun as it should have been, and maybe I'm being unfair--it has been a while after all. ( )
  knotbox | Jun 10, 2016 |
Wren is a young orphan whose bff Tess confesses that far from being an orphan too, she's actually their country's princess. The time has come for Tess to stop hiding from her parents' enemies, and she takes Wren along to the palace for courage and companionship. Once there, they see the king and queen--but Tess is abruptly kidnapped! While the powerful nobility gather their forces for war, Wren slips away unnoticed to mount her own rescue attempt. She is quickly joined by two Mage prentices, who have secrets and causes of their own. The three young would-be-heroes undertake the quest together.

The plot itself is fairly simple and straightforward. It's the characterization that shines here. Wren is the very definition of "pluck": stalwart and true to her friends, always resourceful and cheerful. Far too many fantasy novels [i]tell[/i] us that the companions become friends, but this quest showcases their growing trust and friendship. And I 100% bought that Tess and Wren had been friends since infancy, from their in-jokes to their rock-hard belief in each other.

This is a really sweet fantasy novel, particularly for tweens. There's no forced romance, but there's loads of believable, heartfelt friendships and low-key heroism. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
Campy, yet fun. It took a while for this book to build momentum, and sometimes doubted the choice to switch POVs, but the ride was enjoyable once it got going. The ending, however, felt anticlimactic, particularly when the last problem solved itself. ( )
  LaPhenix | Nov 22, 2015 |
A fairly simple read and a semi-classic fantasy. Prisoner taken, questors head off to the big-bad fortress to rescue said prisoner. But still, it was a fun, and fairly light read. The children were a bit younger than I expected, but they came across well enough to be able to handle the adventure, and when the main character gets shape-changed things take an interesting little twist. Good ending, and all comes right, as a proper story should. Nothing to heavy or dark in the story, so it was quite enjoyable for a light read. I did find the 'modern' speech of the children a little bit odd, given the 'medieval' type world they were in, but it did make it easier to follow rather than stiff speech that one might otherwise expect. ( )
  Elentarien | Feb 9, 2011 |
This book starts one of my favorite YA fantasy series. Wren is an excellent heroine. I like that she is not the most beautiful or the smartest, but she is clever and brave and full of surprises. I read this when I was a kid at my library and was so excited to find there were sequels. This started my love affair with Sherwood Smith. A fun and satisfying read. ( )
  SockMonkeyGirl | Aug 19, 2010 |

Sherwood Smithprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lee, Jody A.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lee, VictorCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Janis Marie Robinson because long ago, when she was eight and I was eleven, I promised.
and to T.K.K. in affection and gratitude for twenty-five years of friendship, laughter, and Belief.
Wren stared at Tess in amazement.

Be careful what you wish for!

All her life, little, irrepressible Wren has hoped for an adventure. Growing up in an orphanage, she even playacted being a hero. But when her wish becomes true, Wren find herself totally unprepared. The adventure involves a kidnapped princess, a handsome prince, and a magician. What does it matter if the princess is only Tess, her best friend from the orphanage; that the prince is a youngest son with no chance of becoming king; and the magician an apprentice? Wren has the chance to be a real hero at last - and she leads the other three over mountains and past killing spells, fighting battles with warrie beasts, warriors and the wicked wizard-king Andreus. But then she finds herself up against some shape-changing magic that may end her life as a human forever...

All her life Wren has hoped for an adventure. Now she has one-with a kidnapped princess, a handsome prince, and a magician. What does it matter if the princess is only Tess, her best friend from the orphanage; if the prince is a youngest son with no chance of becoming king; and the magician is an apprentice? Wren leads the other three over mountains and past killing spells, fighting battles along the way. But then she finds herself up against some shape-changing magic that may end her life as a human forever!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:14 -0400)

With the help of a prince and an apprentice wizard, Wren strives to rescue her best friend, a princess named Tess, from the fortress of a wicked king.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,125,549 books! | Top bar: Always visible