Shadow: The Curious Morgan Horse by Ellen F.…

Shadow: The Curious Morgan Horse

by Ellen F. Feld

Ellen F. Feld’s “Shadow, The Curious Morgan Horse,” is a visually stunning book. Illustrator Jeanne Mellin’s drawings delight with a fine use of color, often subdued, yet somehow striking at the same time. Eight full-page drawings--the originals undoubtedly suitable for framing--are supplemented with many other pages of both text and pictures. Murals made from this book would add charm and beauty to any child’s room.

Of course, the story’s the thing. Despite the full-page drawings, there is plenty of text. Feld tells the story of a young horse who falls for a rooster’s tales about a magic pond in the woods and goes in search of it. On the way she has some mishaps, though nothing to frighten Feld’s target audience of readers at a second grade level. In the end Shadow returns home to her mother with a new friend, Willow, a basset hound and some lessons learned. One, beware of braggarts, two, listen to your mother. This is a gentle tale.

Feld succeeds in the two most important tasks for a writer of books for children who are beginning to be able to read on their own, but still like to be read to. This is a book that children should like and adults won’t be bored with. My grandson is a second-grader who reads at a third grade level. He enjoyed the story. He didn’t have much trouble with the vocabulary, but he did find a few words a challenge. Feld has some longer sentences than I’d expect to find in a story for kids at this level, sentences not in the simple noun-verb-object formula, but they shouldn’t be difficult for younger readers and they make the story more palatable for adults.

This book would be a good addition to a library in any home with children. ( )
  CharlesBoyd | Oct 26, 2009 |
I remember the days when my daughter at a very early age would pretend that a Eucalyptus tree branch was her horse that she called "lightning". So many country girls seem to be horse crazy where I live, a small town where the pace is slower and you just want to stop and drink in the sounds.

It is a privilege to introduce you to a delightful children's picture book called "Shadow" by Ellen F. Feld. This book was provided for review from Willow Bend Publishing. Ellen's books are very authentic for the portrayal of horses and their riders. I found Shadow The Curious Morgan Horse to be one of the best horse books I've read. Along with Jeanne Mellin's realistic illustrations, this hardcover book is a winner for sure. I rate it 5+ stars and I loved it!

The book begins by a beautiful red barn with an introduction of Shadow and her mother named Frosty. Jeanne perfectly illustrates many animals of the woods that children will adore. I learned a lot about Morgan horses as Ellen brilliantly unfolds the story plot and the words are easily read by children and adults, whether alone or together.

"A Morgan Horse is a specific breed of horse, the same as a Basset Hound is a type of dog. Morgans are known for their stamina, sweet personalities, and stylish good looks."

There's even a moral to this wonderful children's story while Shadow is on a quest to discover the Magic Pond in greener pastures. The "don't leave home to go exploring without your mother" ring out loud and clear. Shadow is an all around blue ribbon picture book! I highly recommend it to you!

For more information and to see Ellen's Horse Games, visit her website:

http://www.willowbendpublishing.com ( )
  LadyD_Books | Oct 17, 2009 |
I loved this book and will enjoy reading it to children. It can be enjoyed by both boys and girls who love animal and nature stories. The lessons that a child will pick up from this story are: 1) Don't believe everything that you hear. 2) Trust your Mother because she does know a lot.
  sarglib | Oct 16, 2009 |

"Shadow : the curious Morgan horse introduces the characters of the award-winning Morgan Horse series to a younger audience. In this adventure, Shadow decides to explore the woods beyond her pasture. She searches for a magic pond and along the way meets many different forest animals. But when Shadow realizes she has become lost, how will she find her way home?"--From publisher description.… (more)

Ellen F. Feld is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,094,037 books! | Top bar: Always visible