Shadow: The Curious Morgan Horse by Ellen F.…

Shadow: The Curious Morgan Horse

by Ellen F. Feld

Ellen F. Feld’s “Shadow, The Curious Morgan Horse,” is a visually stunning book. Illustrator Jeanne Mellin’s drawings delight with a fine use of color, often subdued, yet somehow striking at the same time. Eight full-page drawings--the originals undoubtedly suitable for framing--are supplemented with many other pages of both text and pictures. Murals made from this book would add charm and beauty to any child’s room.

Of course, the story’s the thing. Despite the full-page drawings, there is plenty of text. Feld tells the story of a young horse who falls for a rooster’s tales about a magic pond in the woods and goes in search of it. On the way she has some mishaps, though nothing to frighten Feld’s target audience of readers at a second grade level. In the end Shadow returns home to her mother with a new friend, Willow, a basset hound and some lessons learned. One, beware of braggarts, two, listen to your mother. This is a gentle tale.

Feld succeeds in the two most important tasks for a writer of books for children who are beginning to be able to read on their own, but still like to be read to. This is a book that children should like and adults won’t be bored with. My grandson is a second-grader who reads at a third grade level. He enjoyed the story. He didn’t have much trouble with the vocabulary, but he did find a few words a challenge. Feld has some longer sentences than I’d expect to find in a story for kids at this level, sentences not in the simple noun-verb-object formula, but they shouldn’t be difficult for younger readers and they make the story more palatable for adults.

This book would be a good addition to a library in any home with children. ( )
  CharlesBoyd | Oct 26, 2009 |
I remember the days when my daughter at a very early age would pretend that a Eucalyptus tree branch was her horse that she called "lightning". So many country girls seem to be horse crazy where I live, a small town where the pace is slower and you just want to stop and drink in the sounds.

It is a privilege to introduce you to a delightful children's picture book called "Shadow" by Ellen F. Feld. This book was provided for review from Willow Bend Publishing. Ellen's books are very authentic for the portrayal of horses and their riders. I found Shadow The Curious Morgan Horse to be one of the best horse books I've read. Along with Jeanne Mellin's realistic illustrations, this hardcover book is a winner for sure. I rate it 5+ stars and I loved it!

The book begins by a beautiful red barn with an introduction of Shadow and her mother named Frosty. Jeanne perfectly illustrates many animals of the woods that children will adore. I learned a lot about Morgan horses as Ellen brilliantly unfolds the story plot and the words are easily read by children and adults, whether alone or together.

"A Morgan Horse is a specific breed of horse, the same as a Basset Hound is a type of dog. Morgans are known for their stamina, sweet personalities, and stylish good looks."

There's even a moral to this wonderful children's story while Shadow is on a quest to discover the Magic Pond in greener pastures. The "don't leave home to go exploring without your mother" ring out loud and clear. Shadow is an all around blue ribbon picture book! I highly recommend it to you!

For more information and to see Ellen's Horse Games, visit her website:

http://www.willowbendpublishing.com ( )
  LadyD_Books | Oct 17, 2009 |
I loved this book and will enjoy reading it to children. It can be enjoyed by both boys and girls who love animal and nature stories. The lessons that a child will pick up from this story are: 1) Don't believe everything that you hear. 2) Trust your Mother because she does know a lot.
  sarglib | Oct 16, 2009 |
I was as captivated by this little book as any youngster could possibly be! The story line and drawings created a smooth, gossamer, and whimsical tale that any budding animal or horse lover would appreciate and treasure. This is the type of book that builds confidence and enjoyment in a child's reading skills and creates an ideal stepping stone from 'learning to read' to 'reading to learn.' It is a magical little story worth adding to one's collection or to give as a gift to a child or grandchild (while you're at it I'd suggest acquiring copies of the other books in this series). Marguerite Henry look out...here comes Ellen F. Feld!

In the last few days, I have had the good fortune to find Ellen Feld's Shadow. It is what I hoped it would be - an excellent 'read aloud' book - with lots of nice pictures to allow you to add to the story when you are reading it for the 1,000th time!

Popular children's author Ellen Feld has given kids another reason to turn off the TV and pick up a book. The story of Shadow is a heart-warming tale of an inquisitive foal who wanders into the woods beyond her pasture. Along the way, Shadow meets new friends, and her curiosity even gets her into a bit of trouble as she searches for a magic pond in the woods. This is a delightful book for youngsters. The story is charming from beginning to end, and the 21 colorful illustrations by Jeanne Mellin perfectly reflect the light-hearted and imaginative tone of the story. Horse-crazy kids will love having mom or dad read this story to them over and over. Bottom line: Beyond a "Shadow" of a doubt, this is a great book.

Author Ellen Feld and artist Jeanne Mellin present Shadow: The Curious Morgan Horse, the latest in an award-wining series of children's books. Shadow: The Curious Morgan Horse is a picturebook with warm color illustrations and a fair amount of text, especially suited for young horse lovers who are almost ready to make the transition to chapter books. When Shadow's curiosity leads her to explore the woods beyond her pasture, she encounters a wonderful variety of forest animals, but what is she to do when she becomes lost? A new canine friend saves the day in this gentle adventure recommended for young horse lovers.

Shadow could become a new favorite in our house. The book was about a horse, who decided to look for adventure after hearing a story from a chicken on the farm. Along the way, on her adventure she meets different animals in the forest, some who are not so nice to her. After deciding home is the best place to be, she meets another animal who helps her make her way back. In the end, the horse got her adventure and a new friend. The story was longer then what we read in one sitting, so I wasn't sure my girls would sit and listen to it that long. We usually read a books that are shorter in lenghth for bedtime, so I just made this the only book of the evening. It took a couple of pages to catch their attention fully, but after that they didn't move. The illustrations were done very well. They follow the story perfectly and the kids even made a couple comments on some of the pictures.

Shadow: The Curious Morgan Horse introduces the characters of the award-winning Morgan Horse series to younger readers. In this adventure, the young horse Shadow decides to explore the woods beyond her pasture. She searches for a magic pond and along the way meets many different forest animals. But when Shadow realizes she has become lost, how will she find her way home?

"Shadow : the curious Morgan horse introduces the characters of the award-winning Morgan Horse series to a younger audience. In this adventure, Shadow decides to explore the woods beyond her pasture. She searches for a magic pond and along the way meets many different forest animals. But when Shadow realizes she has become lost, how will she find her way home?"--From publisher description.… (more)

Ellen F. Feld is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,611,262 books! | Top bar: Always visible