Our Story Begins: New and Selected Stories…

Our Story Begins: New and Selected Stories

by Tobias Wolff

English (13)  Spanish (1)  All languages (14)
Ugh, I'm embarrassed at how long it took me to finally finish this book. I started reviewing again for NewPages.com, so I've been reading several literary magazines each month. Some of these mags are thick, and so they have begun to dominate my reading. I stalled on Wolff's excellent collection only a few stories from the end and hung there for way too long. Wolff was a pal of Raymond Carver's in Carver's latter (sober) years, and the two writers share some similarities in subject matter. Wolff is definitely one of America's great contemporary short story writers, and like every good short story writer offers sharp insight into the human condition. This collection offers a selection of earlier stories from his career, as well as some new ones. They are all good, and together represent a rich and varied body of work from a seasoned writer. Definitely recommended for anyone who enjoys the short story form. ( )
  S.D. | Apr 5, 2014 |
I’m more than a little disappointed in Anthony Heald’s performance. He has thrown away the last lines of every story, giving each short a feeling of incompleteness. Moreover, there are times when he drops his voice so low, the words seem swallowed. Nonetheless, the quality of the writing somes through. ( )
  Tanya-dogearedcopy | Apr 4, 2013 |
I loved this collection. I'd previously only read the novella "The Barracks Thief" - which I thought was superb and perfectly formed - so I was looking forward to reading some of Wolff's selected earlier stories (from anthologies I already wanted to check out, and still do) as well as the precious newest offerings.

Others here have reviewed more eloquently what you might find intriguing and beautiful in these many little gems of contemporary literature. I don't think I disliked a single one, but those that really stood out for me were "Desert Breakdown '68", "The Other Miller", "Benefit of the Doubt", "Deep Kiss", and well, really I could go on and on, but I don't have my library copy to hand and these are the ones that occur to me now...

If you love short fiction or were curious to try it again after a disappointing earlier foray then read this book. Each story says so much and leaves you entirely wrapped up in the world that the author just created. If you've never read short fiction - Tobias Wolff is a master. I now want to read everything he has ever had published. ( )
  Polaris- | Apr 18, 2012 |
I tried every night this week and kept falling asleep. Guess this just wasnt the right time for this book.
  SenoraG163 | Sep 10, 2011 |
Wolff is a master storyteller. To me, the real gems are "Hunters in the Snow," "Shot Through the Head," and "Deep Kiss." ( )
  AlRiske | Apr 2, 2010 |

Tobias Wolffprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Alberto, RobertoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Antolín Rato, MarianoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Satué, EnricDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Ten potent new stories that, along with twenty-one classics, display Wolff's mastery over a quarter century.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,693,751 books! | Top bar: Always visible