Taran Wanderer (The Chronicles of Prydain)…

Taran Wanderer (The Chronicles of Prydain) (original 1967; edition 2006)

by Lloyd Alexander

2,989441,911 (4.08)1 / 144
Member:froggie
Title:Taran Wanderer (The Chronicles of Prydain)
Authors:Lloyd Alexander
Info:Henry Holt and Co. BYR Paperbacks (2006), Edition: First Edition, Paperback, 256 pages
Collections:Read but unowned

Taran Wanderer by Lloyd Alexander (1967)

Recently added byWindering, private library, darkzlorf, sbeeler, nutkja, kuipers5, Faustgeist, RichardsonLibrary
    Constellation Games by Leonard Richardson (bertilak)
    bertilak: This is a stretch, but both books are about a young man repeatedly failing, yet learning and making friends while doing so.

This is a wonderful example of High Fantasy. The fourth in the Chronicles of Prydain series, this book follows Taran as he journeys to find out where he came from. As he travels he meets several different characters who are more than willing to allow him to stay and train in their professions. Taran, upon turning down all of these requests and going to the place where he can truly find out his origins discovers that it doesn't matter where you came from, but the important thing is what kind of person your journey has made you. In a class setting you could try to learn some of the professions Taran is introduced to (like weaving). You could also have your students examine details of the world in which Taran lives and illustrate certain events to form a comic book style version for younger students. ( )
  hellwanger | Jul 6, 2014 |
Taran Wanderer is quite a bit different from the other books in the series. Taran's quest in this one is much more personal, and he does most of it with only Gurgi by his side. He travels about, engaging in Karate Kid-style training and learning lessons that go beyond the trades that he learns.

Although it seemed a little obvious and a tad contrived, the lesson of this book is one that I'm glad that my children are hearing, that character and self-worth aren't things we're born with but things we earn. We are who we are, flaws and all. It's a lesson I need to hear myself, again and again.

I'm enjoying these books, but I find myself craving something with similar lessons but with a female protagonist. ( )
  ImperfectCJ | Mar 28, 2014 |
The fourth book in the Chronicles of Prydain, Taran Wanderer is a departure from the previous books. Eilonwy doesn't appear in this book and there is no set adventure. Instead, we follow Taran as he tries to discover who his parents were. He has many adventures along the way, some good and some bad.

Although different from the other books in the series, Taran Wanderer actually sets the stage for the fifth book. I really enjoyed this book. ( )
  aharey | Mar 19, 2014 |
I think I say the basically the same thing after reading each book in this series, so again: the plots and writing are too simplistic, and I don't find Taran compelling. Even less so in this book, with all his angst about his origins.

I've realized that my mental image of Gurgi is that of Taz the Tasmanian Devil from Looney Tunes.
  thatotter | Feb 6, 2014 |
Taran begin to feel the walls of Caer Dallben closing around him. He loves Eilonwy and wants to prove that he's worthy of her - but as long as he is nothing but a foundling, he'll never be able to claim her as his own. So he asks for, and is granted permission to, seek his parentage. First, approaches Orddu and her sisters to ask where he should look and they send him on a quest that starts with him losing everything and results in knowledge of his own self-worth and abilities.

This is a really good book about growing up and becoming independent. There is definitely wisdom here and it should be required reading for all tweens... In my personal opinion. ( )
  helver | Jan 23, 2014 |

Lloyd Alexanderprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Langton, JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pilhjerta, Ritva-LiisaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Wayfarers still journeying, for Wanderers at rest.
It was full springtime, with promise of the richest summer the farm had ever seen.
Originaltitel: Taran Wanderer

Taran, the assistant pig-keeper who wants to be a hero, goes questing for knowledge of his parentage, hoping that his journey will ennoble him in the eyes of Eilonwy, the princess with the red-gold hair. Accompanied by several loyal friends, Taran begins his search when three wily enchantresses of the Marshes of Morva send him to consult the Mirror of Llunet for the answers he is seeking, cryptically promising that "the finding takes no more than the looking."

During his adventures he meets Craddoc, the shepherd, and the common people of Prydain, whom he comes to respect and admire. With their help, he continues his mission to learn the secret of the Mirror and the truth about himself.

The Newbery-winning fantasy series now available in gorgeous new paperback editions!

Since The Book of Three was first published in 1964, young readers have been enthralled by the adventures of Taran the Assistant Pig-Keeper and his quest to become a hero. Taran is joined by an engaging cast of characters that includes Eilonwy, the strong-willed and sharp-tongued princess; Fflewddur Fflam, the hyperbole-prone bard; the ever-faithful Gurgi; and the curmudgeonly Doli--all of whom have become involved in an epic struggle between good and evil that shapes the fate of the legendary land of Prydain. Released over a period of five years, Lloyd Alexander's beautifully written tales not only captured children's imaginations but also garnered the highest critical praise.

The Black Cauldron was a Newbery Honor Book, and the final volume in the chronicles, The High King, crowned the series by winning the Newbery Medal for "the most distinguished contribution to American literature for children."

Henry Holt is proud to present this classic series in a new, redesigned paperback format. The jackets feature stunning art by acclaimed fantasy artist David Wyatt, giving the books a fresh look for today's generation of young fantasy lovers. The companion book of short stories, The Foundling is also available in paperback at this time.

In their more than thirty years in print, the Chronicles of Prydain have become the standard of excellence in fantasy literature for children.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:34:56 -0400)

The fourth book of the Prydain cycle tells of the adventures that befell Taran when he went in search of his birthright and the truth about himself.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,632,462 books! | Top bar: Always visible