Arrow's Flight (The Heralds of…

Arrow's Flight (The Heralds of Valdemar, Book 2) (original 1987; edition 1987)

by Mercedes Lackey

Title:Arrow's Flight (The Heralds of Valdemar, Book 2)
Authors:Mercedes Lackey
Info:DAW Books (1987), Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages

Arrow's Flight by Mercedes Lackey (1987)

This is the second book in a series that starts with Arrows of the Queen. It seems that many times the middle book of a trilogy is a bit weaker; this one is just as strong as its predecessor. There are problems to be overcome; people grow and change in this story. There is foreshadowing for the next book and you'll find yourself saying "So that's what it meant!"

Each fantasy reader should have this in his or her personal library. ( )
  Jean_Sexton | Oct 6, 2015 |
This is the second book in this sub series featuring the Herald Talia as she develops her powers as Herald and Queen's Own. Sent out on her first circuit as Herald with her Councelor, Kris, Talia knows that things will be tough but she hadn't considered the effects of Kris's uncle's snide words on her precarious control of her empathic gifts.

This is a reasonably decent book for a second in the series though there are a few eevnts that occur just because they have to (e.g. the plague ridden village and the one beset by raiders). ( )
  JohnFair | Jul 29, 2015 |
  ElenaGwynne | Jan 11, 2015 |
I wanted to like this. I enjoyed it well enough when I first read it, a couple years ago. I seem to recall reading it all in one afternoon, back then, when I was new to the lands of Valdemar and utterly enchanted. This time, Flight was actually quite painful to slog through. I mean, it’s boring! It’s really boring!

Talia goes out on her herald internship, travelling a circuit around Valdemar with Kris. They stop at every little town to settle petty disputes that nobody really seems to care about. All the while Talia is inwardly angsting, filled with self-doubt about her empathy powers. Weirdly for an empath she is awfully judgemental about the peasant/farmer-types they encounter on their trip. She’s miserable and doesn’t have time for them.

”Talia’s unhappiness was a hard knot within her now; the petty problems of the townfolk seemed trivial at this point.” (p.139)

And Kris can barely even tell one villager from another (they all look the same to him):

”. . . he finally managed to ascertain that there were two aggrieved parties, both as alike to his eyes as a pair of crows - brown hair, thick brown beards, nearly identical clothing of brown homespun.” (p.129)

The lack of interest on the part of the characters translates to a lack of interest for me. Who wants to hang out with a miserable, moping person for 300 pages?

The only really big thing that happens in this book (and the part I remembered) is that Kris and Talia get snowed in a cabin. The “Snowed-In” trope is quite common in fanfic and I admit it is a guilty pleasure of mine, which is why I remembered that part of the book and nothing else. ( )
2 vote catfantastic | Aug 26, 2014 |
Arrow's Flight is more coherent a novel than Arrows of the Queen, I'll give it that. Since it's got a straightforward arc, the episodic feel to the various adventures works just fine, and the central conflict carries all the way through.

I'm not sure that makes me like it any better, though. The central conflict is based on the infuriating "two people refuse to actually talk about the obvious problem" trope which I just loathe. And once it's conquered, it shows up for an encore in an utterly pointless pseudo-love-triangle bit of drama that goes nowhere but an almost-worth-it reconciliation scene.

There are good things about it - I do like Talia's actual process of coming to terms with her power, and this book is possibly the only one that really expounds on a Herald's day-to-day, non-wartime job. And Lackey's writing is noticeably tighter even from Arrows. It's just even more a book I can't quite love because I'm too old and cynical. ( )
  JeremyPreacher | Mar 30, 2013 |

Mercedes Lackeyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lee, Jody A.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Set in the medieval fantasy kingdom of Valdemar, this unique and exciting novel continues the story of Talia. Having mastered the powers necessary to a guardian of the kingdom, she faces the final preparation for her initiation as adviser and protector of the Queen.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0886773776, Mass Market Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:22 -0400)

Talia, having mastered her psychic and empathic powers, is chosen to be a Herald by the Companions, but must face a testing period before she becomes the Queen's protector.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,959,590 books! | Top bar: Always visible