Le lacrime della giraffa by Alexander McCall…

Le lacrime della giraffa (original 2000; edition 2003)

by Alexander McCall Smith

Member:carlodemi
Title:Le lacrime della giraffa
Authors:Alexander McCall Smith
Info:Guanda (2003), Perfect Paperback
Rating:**

Tears of the Giraffe by Alexander McCall Smith (2000)

English (120)  Swedish (3)  German (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (125)
McCall Smith continues to enthrall me with this second book in his No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series. I really like how he manages to weave connected stories together, allowing the reader to enjoy the mysteries while at the same time obtaining a better insight into the day-to-day lives of the characters against the Botswanan backdrop. These stories fit into what I consider to be cozy/comfort reads. They involve ordinary people facing problems/concerns centered around human relationships. It is this focus on societal and familial bonds that makes these such a joy to read. I also like how McCall Smith maintains a theme of morality through the stories, having Mma Ramotswe face moral dilemmas when assessing potential harm that may occur if a certain course of action is taken, or not taken, as a result of the investigation. As you can imagine, some gentle directional input from Mma Ramotswe is usually required. These stories are not stories of high-flying suspense or riveting chase scenes, and I like them for that very reason. If I want high suspense, I will pick up a thriller to read. ( )
1 vote lkernagh | Aug 30, 2016 |
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
  Lunapilot | Jul 19, 2016 |
“The giraffe gives its tears to the women and they weave them into the basket. Why does the giraffe gives its tears? I suppose that it means that we can all give something. A giraffe has nothing else to give-only tears.” "Tears of the Giraffe", Alexander McCall Smith

I came upon this author and mystery series from a giveaway of "Morality of Beautiful Girls" (3rd book in this series) and thought it best to read novels 1 & 2 before I read the giveaway. Well, I am not disappointed. Tears Of the Giraffe is the second of the series. ( see my review No. I Detective Agency). This novel is just as charming and a fun read as the first novel.

The writing is more complex. Gone are the stand-alone short stories of the first novel. Tears of the Giraffe continues the short chapters/stories, but there is a common thread that binds all of them. There are twists, no turns, but the humanity and moral fiber of Mma Ramotswe continues.
(3+star) ( )
  WanderRoxyBooks | Jul 14, 2016 |
Mma Ramotswe is on the case again in the second in the series of The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency. This time around there is a romantic interest for her. A certain Mr. J.L.B Matekoni has asked her to marry him. She must weigh all the options of the offer while trying to find out what a wayward wife has been up to, why a maid winds up in jail and how the lives of two orphans will affect her possible new life as a wife.

Working in her calm and methodical way, Mma Ramotswe ties up all the threads. ( )
  ChazziFrazz | Jun 23, 2016 |
Lisette Lecat
  jmail | Mar 21, 2016 |

Alexander McCall Smithprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bronswijk, Ineke vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is for Richard Latcham
Mr. J.L.B. Matekoni, proprietor of Tlokweng Road Speedy Motors, found it difficult to believe that Mma Ramotswe, the accomplished founder of the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency, had agreed to marry him.
Information from the Estonian Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.

THE NO.1 LADIES' DETECTIVE AGENCY introduced the world to the one and only Precious Ramotswe - the engaging and sassy owner of Botswana's only detective agency. TEARS OF THE GIRAFFE, McCall Smith's second book, takes us further into this world as we follow Mama Ramotswe into more daring situations ...Among her cases this time are wayward wives, unscrupulous maids, and the challenge to resolve a mother's pain for her son who is long lost on the African plains. Indeed, Mma Ramotswe's own impending marriage to the most gentlemanly of men, Mr J.L.B. Matekoni, the promotion of Mma's secretary to the dizzy heights of Assistant Detective, and the arrival of new members to the Matekoni family, all brew up the most humorous and charmingly entertaining of tales. * TEARS OF THE GIRAFFE was selected as one of the GUARDIAN's top ten 'Fiction Paperbacks of the Year, 2000

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:06 -0400)

Mma "Precious" Ramotswe is now engaged to Mr. J.L.B. Matekoni, the kind owner of Tlokweng Road Speedy Motors. This new development provokes a hostile reaction from Mr. Matekoni's unscrupulous maid, who quickly begins plotting the disintegration of the engagement. Despite all this, duty calls, and Mma Ramotswe is asked to help find an American woman's son who has been missing in Africa for 10 years.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,264,462 books! | Top bar: Always visible