Tears of the Giraffe by Alexander McCall…

Tears of the Giraffe (original 2000; edition 2003)

by Alexander McCall Smith, Lisette Lecat (Narrator)

Member:ksnider
Title:Tears of the Giraffe
Authors:Alexander McCall Smith
Other authors:Lisette Lecat (Narrator)
Info:Recorded Books (2003), Edition: Unabridged, Audio CD
Rating:***
Tags:Fiction, Mystery, Botswana, Africa

Tears of the Giraffe by Alexander McCall Smith (2000)

English (112)  Swedish (3)  German (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (117)
I am in love with the characters of the series and the story! I can't put the book down, I must read it straight through. Moving on to book 3! ( )
  Erika.D | Jan 28, 2016 |
Still love Ms. Ramotswe. ( )
  Greymowser | Jan 22, 2016 |
My take: 4 looks
Another delightful tale of Mma Ramotswe and her detective agency. Following the first book, and best if read in its series, we find out more of our main character, while becoming familiar with her fiancé and her secretary.

Lovely descriptions of the African scenery, heartwarming tales from growing up in Africa, and intense national pride continue throughout the book, and bring a smile to my face. Mma Ramotswe is no Pollyanna. She does see the dark side of the country and its inhabitants, but continues to focus on the positive, while she does her part to rid her surroundings of undesirables.

The tactics she uses in her investigations and subsequent revelations are clever, and sometimes surprising. It's not easy to have the culprit confess and offer restitution, but that's exactly what our heroine sets out to do each time.

I love this series, and recommend it. ( )
  CarmenMilligan | Jan 18, 2016 |
I liked this book better than the first book in the series. I felt it had a more followable plot and secondary plots--reading much more like a finished novel than a series of short stories that were cobbled together.

I didn't like that many of the minor/side characters were so deceitful and immoral--though it may have been done to contrast the morality of the main characters. ( )
  JenniferRobb | Jan 17, 2016 |
In this second book of the "No. 1 Lady's Detective Agency" series Precious Ramotswe is approached by an American woman whose son disappeared from an agricultural commune 10 years earlier. Although she believes that her son is very likely dead she would like to know what happened to him so that she can have closure. Along with this case Mma Ramotswe gives another investigation to her newly-promoted secretay/assistant-detective Mma Makutsi involving a straying housewife and a suspicious husband. It is definitely not all work for Mma Ramotswe as she and her fiancee, Mr. J.L.B. Matekoni, move forward with their engagement with the buying of a ring. Unbeknownst to his betrothed, Mr. Matekoni also decides to foster 2 young children, a brother and sister, from the nearby orphange fearing but hoping that the 4 of them can build a happy family.

These are such sweet, simple stories of unspoiled, charming people. The mysteries seem to take a back seat to the everyday lives of the citizens of Gabarone, Botswana so if you are looking for hard-hitting gritty thrillers these are definitely not in that category. They are a relaxing slice of Africa and some great characters
  Ellen_R | Jan 15, 2016 |

Alexander McCall Smithprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bronswijk, Ineke vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is for Richard Latcham
Mr. J.L.B. Matekoni, proprietor of Tlokweng Road Speedy Motors, found it difficult to believe that Mma Ramotswe, the accomplished founder of the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency, had agreed to marry him.
Information from the Estonian Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.

THE NO.1 LADIES' DETECTIVE AGENCY introduced the world to the one and only Precious Ramotswe - the engaging and sassy owner of Botswana's only detective agency. TEARS OF THE GIRAFFE, McCall Smith's second book, takes us further into this world as we follow Mama Ramotswe into more daring situations ...Among her cases this time are wayward wives, unscrupulous maids, and the challenge to resolve a mother's pain for her son who is long lost on the African plains. Indeed, Mma Ramotswe's own impending marriage to the most gentlemanly of men, Mr J.L.B. Matekoni, the promotion of Mma's secretary to the dizzy heights of Assistant Detective, and the arrival of new members to the Matekoni family, all brew up the most humorous and charmingly entertaining of tales. * TEARS OF THE GIRAFFE was selected as one of the GUARDIAN's top ten 'Fiction Paperbacks of the Year, 2000

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:06 -0400)

Mma "Precious" Ramotswe is now engaged to Mr. J.L.B. Matekoni, the kind owner of Tlokweng Road Speedy Motors. This new development provokes a hostile reaction from Mr. Matekoni's unscrupulous maid, who quickly begins plotting the disintegration of the engagement. Despite all this, duty calls, and Mma Ramotswe is asked to help find an American woman's son who has been missing in Africa for 10 years.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,110,677 books! | Top bar: Always visible