Lady Susan / The Watsons / Sanditon by Jane…

Lady Susan / The Watsons / Sanditon

by Jane Austen

English (25)  Italian (2)  All languages (27)
I'm both a completist and not a huge fan of Jane Austen, so it was with mixed feeling si approached this book of unpublished works. 2 were incomplete, the third completed, but much shorter and less polished than her published works. The Watsons and Sanditon were just so-so, so much Jane Austen. The one I enjoyed the most was the once most unlike her later style. Lady Susan is written as a series of letters and she can;t ;pull it off effectively for the entire story. It also features a character who is quite ungenteel, in the titual anti-heroine. Lady Susan is a gold digger and is out for force her daughter Frederica into a mariage with a very stupid man, while Lady Susan embarks on affairs and generally breaking up happy familes. It is not an effective piece of writing, in that there is nothing to balance Lady Susan, no light and shade, it dominated by Susan and there's no clear contrast to be found. But I found it so different from the usual tale of manners and repression that i quite enjoyed it. ( )
  Helenliz | Mar 2, 2019 |
I love Jane Austen's more complete novels. (Ex. Mansfield Park.) It's "fleshed out" better. These three stories are so short that I feel that there is no meat to it for me. I need a good plot and good dialogue. This book of three-novellas-in-one just disappoints me to no end. To me, this is not the Jane Austen I know. ( )
  caslater83 | Sep 20, 2018 |
A collection of what could be described as "off-cuts." The volume contains three stories: the first, "Lady Susan," was a very early work of Austen's, and takes the form of a series of letters among the protagonists. It was not published in Austen's lifetime (though it was evidently advanced to the point where a fair copy was made); while I'm not with G.K. Chesterston, who is quoted on the back of this volume as being willing to have "left "Lady Susan" in the wastepaper basket" (I find it interesting Penguin was so defensive to put that quote right at the top of the back of the cover blurb), the story didn't really work for me. It was very difficult to follow who was saying what to whom without a great deal of work, and I didn't find many of the characters to be engaging. "The Watsons," the second work in the volume, was an uncompleted novel that was put aside by Austen around the time of the death of her father. This was still in an early draft form when she stopped work on it, and the two problems I had with it were firstly that there's not enough of a story to figure out where things are going, and secondly, none of the characters are engaging to me. That could be because Austen had not yet had the "space" to flesh them out. What saves this volume is the last entry, "Sandition," which was uncompleted at the time of Austen's early death. The setting, an up-and-coming oceanside resort, is full of possibilities, and there's much in the way of social chess-matches going on. The observer of all the goings-on, Charlotte, comes off surprisingly well as a critical bystander, and the gang of entrepreneurs, hypochondriacs, social-climbers and legacy-schemers is entertaining. "Sandition" likely reflects an author that was far more mature in her skill, and more fairly, had had some time to work on the novel. This collection is, I think, for Austen completists, and should not be read as an introduction to Austen's work -- which is what happened here with me! Drabble's introduction, by the way, is a good one, and does much to throw some light on the works. ( )
  EricCostello | Oct 26, 2017 |
Lady Susan, The Watsons and Sanditon are works of Jane Austen, the latter two of which remain unfinished.

Jane Austen is great, whether in fragments or finished. I very much enjoyed reading all three of the story (parts), although I’m actually happy that Sanditon remained a fragment because I would have different plans for the characters than Austen most likely intended and this way, the path is free for me to imagine it all. In any case, if you enjoy her finished and polished novels, it’s definitely worth checking out her other works as well.

Read more about each of the works separately on my blog: https://kalafudra.com/2017/02/09/lady-susan-the-watsons-sanditon-jane-austen/ ( )
  kalafudra | Jul 21, 2017 |
This book included the short novel Lady Watson and the unfinished Sanditon and The Watsons. Although I am a serious Janeite, these would be at the bottom of my favorites list. It is easy to see how all three COULD have been much better- there is a reason Jane did not publish them in her lifetime- they weren't the polished masterpieces her other six novels are. It is interesting to speculate on how these stories would've turned out if she had edited them and published them. ( )
  aharey | Nov 30, 2016 |

Jane Austenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Drabble, MargaretEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Drabble, MargaretIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gaia, LindaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lady Susan: My dear brother, I can no longer refuse myself the pleasure of profiting by your kind invitation when we last parted, of spending some weeks with you at Churchill, and therefore if quite convenient to you and Mrs. Vernon to receive me at present, I shall hope within a few days to be introduced to a sister whom I have so long desired to be acquainted with.
The Watsons: The first winter assembly in the town of D. in Surrey was to be held on Tuesday October the thirteenth, and it was generally expected to be a very good one; a long list of country families was confidently run over as sure of attending, and sanguine hopes were entertained that the Osbornes themselves would be there.
Sanditon: A gentleman and lady travelling from Tonbridge towards that part of the Sussex coast which lies between Hastings and Eastbourne, being induced by business to quit the high road, and attempt a very rough lane, were overturned in toiling up its long ascent half rock, half sand.
'Who can endure a cabbage patch in October?'
'But you know,' (still looking back) 'one loves to look at an old friend, at a place where one has been happy.'

Collecting three lesser-known works by one of the nineteenth century's greatest authors, Jane Austen's "Lady Susan", "The Watsons" and "Sanditon" is edited with an introduction by Margaret Drabble in "Penguin Classics". These three short works show Austen experimenting with a variety of different literary styles, from melodrama to satire, and exploring a range of social classes and settings. The early epistolary novel "Lady Susan" depicts an unscrupulous coquette, toying with the affections of several men. In contrast, "The Watsons" is a delightful fragment, whose spirited heroine Emma Watson finds her marriage opportunities limited by poverty and pride. Written in the last months of Austen's life, the uncompleted novel "Sanditon", set in a newly established seaside resort, offers a glorious cast of hypochondriacs and speculators, and shows an author contemplating a the great social upheavals of the Industrial Revolution with a mixture of scepticism and amusement. Margaret Drabble's introduction examines these three works in the context of Jane Austen's major novels and her life, and discusses the social background of her fiction. This edition features a new chronology. Jane Austen (1775-1817) was extremely modest about her own genius but has become one of English literature's most famous women writers. Austen began writing at a young age, embarking on what is possibly her best-known work, "Pride and Prejudice", at the age of 22. She was also the author of "Sense and Sensibility", "Persuasion", "Northanger Abbey" and "Mansfield Park". If you enjoyed "Lady Susan, The Watsons and Sanditon", you may like Charlotte Bronte's "Tales of Angria", also available in "Penguin Classics". "In ["Sanditon"] she exploits her greatest gifts, her management of dialogue and her skill with monologue. The book feels open and modern ...as vigorous and inventive as her earlier work". (Carol Shields).

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:21 -0400)

These three short works show Jane Austen experimenting with a variety of different literary stayles, from melodrama to satire, and exploring a range of social classes and settings.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,748,372 books! | Top bar: Always visible