The Garden of The Gods by Gerald Durell

The Garden of The Gods (original 1978; edition 1978)

by Gerald Durell

Member:kiwidoc
Title:The Garden of The Gods
Authors:Gerald Durell
Info:Collins, London, 1978
Collections:First edition., Signed., Your library
Tags:Autobiography. English. First Edition. Signed.

The Garden of the Gods by Gerald Durrell (1978)

English (4)  Spanish (1)  All languages (5)
The third book in the Corfu trilogy and Durrell or his publisher are clearly milking the market. While My Family and Other Beasts was creative and original, the second and especially the third volumes in the trilogy are derivative and playing on the aura of the first book.
This third volume lacks any pretence to being an extension of the first two book, and seems to be made up of material dropped from the earlier books. I think that decision to drop the material was probably well founded.
Read July 2014. ( )
  mbmackay | Jul 20, 2014 |
I have only one criticism of this book and that is at only 188 pages it is far too short. How I longed for it to continue! This is the final instalment of Gerald Durrell's 'Corfu Trilogy' in which he tells of his 'truly happy and sunlit childhood' and like the previous 'Birds, Beasts and Relatives' is not so much a continuation of the original 'My family and Other Animals' as another addition, with scenes often slotting in amongst the previous two books. This is a truly delightful book full of the sunshine and wonder of the previous two books but with even richer descriptions of the wildlife and island scenery than before that I felt that I too was there, going on expeditions with the young Gerry and staying at the villa and attending the family's crazy parties. A very fitting finale to this excellent trilogy and great reading for all who love animals, or simply enjoy experiencing true joie de vivre. ( )
3 vote Bowerbirds-Library | Jan 3, 2011 |
This is the finish to the trilogy of books Durrell wrote about growing up on Corfu. I love all three books for their combination of family memoir and natural history. Durrell writes well and these books are very funny so beware of reading them on public transportation!

These books delighted me as a middle-school aged kid when I read them before and they are just as delightful now as I aspire to adulthood. Some day I will at least visit Corfu, but my true fantasy is to find a strawberry pink villa there in which to retire in splendor. ( )
1 vote kraaivrouw | Jan 9, 2010 |
Brilliantly funny conclusion of the Corfu Trilogy:: Gerald Durrell does it again in this book succeeding in not only painting a true, vivid and beautiful picture of life on the Island of Corfu, but in regaling us with the humerous antics of his friends, family and his animals. A wonderful conclusion to the trilogy and a book that i would very much love to own again.
1 vote iayork | Aug 9, 2009 |
This book is for Ann Peters, at one time my secretary and always my friend, because she loves Corfu and probably knows it better than I do.
That summer was a particularly rich one; it seemed as if the sun had drawn up a special bounty from the island for never had we had such an abundance of fruit and flowers, never had the sea been so warm and filled with fish, never had so many birds reared their young, or butterflies and other insects hatched and shimmered across the countryside.

The enchanted island of Corfu was home to Gerald Durrell and his family for five years before the Second World War. For the passionate young zoologist, Corfu was a natural paradise, teeming with strange birds and beasts taht he couldcollect, watch and care for. But life was not without its problems - Gerald's family often objected to his animal collecting activities, especially when the beasts wound up in the family's villa or even worse - the fridge - container.… (more)

43 wanted1 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,770,990 books! | Top bar: Always visible