Ideas Have Consequences by Richard M. Weaver

Ideas Have Consequences

by Richard M. Weaver

English (1)  Spanish (1)  All (2)
This is, quite simply, a dreadful book to read. It's philosophical in nature; Weaver asserts a cause for the evils in society (back in the 40's or so), attempts to prove his assertion, and then offers a solution. It's full of terms and word meanings that are not common to those not already immersed in philosophy, and he makes no attempt to accommodate the new reader. And his solution doesn't really match his stated problem, so the book is even of questionable value. I really can't recommend it, except to those who are diehard fans of philosophy. ( )
  james.garriss | Sep 18, 2007 |

In what has become a classic work, Richard M. Weaver unsparingly diagnoses the ills of our age and offers a realistic remedy. He asserts that the world is intelligible, and that man is free. The catastrophes of our age are the product not of necessity but of unintelligent choice. A cure, he submits, is possible. It lies in the right use of man's reason, in the renewed acceptance of an absolute reality, and in the recognition that ideas—like actions—have consequences.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:36 -0400)

In this work, Richard M. Weaver diagnoses the ills of our age and offers a realistic remedy. He asserts that the world is intelligible, and that man is free. The catastrophes of our age are the product not of necessity but of unintelligent choice. A cure, he submits, is possible. It lies in the right use of man's reason, in the renewed acceptance of an absolute reality, and in the recognition that ideas--like actions--have consequences.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,167,988 books! | Top bar: Always visible