The American Boy's Handy Book: What to…

The American Boy's Handy Book: What to Do and How to Do It,… (edition 2010)

by Daniel Carter Beard, Noel Perrin (Foreword)

Member:amyandroland
Title:The American Boy's Handy Book: What to Do and How to Do It, Centennial Edition
Authors:Daniel Carter Beard
Other authors:Noel Perrin (Foreword)
Info:David R Godine (2010), Edition: Centennial, Paperback, 468 pages

The American Boy's Handy Book: What to Do and How to Do It by Daniel Carter Beard

In a world where this week's headlines include "Banff lodge fined $27K for destroying barn swallow nest with eggs", it seems odd and rather appalling to find a book with chapters on how to collect birds' nests and eggs, and how to rear wild birds (baby owls, Farley Mowat notwithstanding, are much harder to domesticate than baby hawks, and it's quite handy to have a tame hawk tethered in the garden to keep down the depredations of free-range chickens). This was the world of Sterling North, Farley Mowat, and Mark Twain.

You can also learn how to construct fire balloons, how to light a gas jet with the static spark from your own finger, and many other dangerous enterprises. Or build your own boat and sail it. (But learn to swim first, the book advises.)

The chapters on hunting and trapping could be useful in the "SHTF" scenario that "preppers" are fond of invoking. Meanwhile, we can fly hand-made kites or put on shadow-puppet shows. The script and patterns for all characters of Puss In Boots are included. ( )
  muumi | Jul 3, 2018 |
I had three boys and before that three sisters, what did I know of being a boy or what to do with boys - thank goodness for books like this. Not only did it help me with activities to do with my boys it also gave me a feel of how boys think. This was also an invaluable tool that I used as a cub scout parent. ( )
  mmoj | Aug 16, 2015 |
It is a pleasant sensation to sit in the first spring sunshine and feel the steady pull of a good kite upon the string, and watch its graceful movements as it sways from side to side, ever mounting higher and higher, as if impatient to free itself and soar away amid the clouds.

First published in 1882, this is a wealth of projects and games, with practical directions on how to make them, by one of the founders of the Boy Scouts of America. The ultimate pre-TV, anti-couch potato activity book, it answers the question, "What's there to do?"

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:53 -0400)

An 1890 manual of pastimes which includes instructions for making kites, fishing poles, a blow gun, boats, and theatrical costumes, and for raising dogs, stuffing animals, stocking an aquarium, and camping.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,979,834 books! | Top bar: Always visible