The Soloist by Steve Lopez

The Soloist (edition 2010)

by Steve Lopez

928489,411 (4)24
Member:nancenwv
Title:The Soloist
Authors:Steve Lopez
Info:Berkley Trade (2010), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 304 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:non-fiction, biography, extraordinary lives

The Soloist: A Lost Dream, an Unlikely Friendship, and the Redemptive Power of Music by Steve Lopez

I really enjoyed this book, learned from it, and felt the tension as the author, a journalist for the LA Times tried to help a Skid Row/ Julliard musician with mental illness (schizophrenia). ( )
  bereanna | Feb 22, 2016 |
The book's subtitle says it all: A Lost Dream, an Unlikely Friendship, and the Redemptive Power of Music. There are parts where I thought Lopez's work was self-serving, but in general I think it's a sincere depiction of a meaninful relationship with a man who suffers mental illness. ( )
  BookConcierge | Jan 20, 2016 |
I enjoyed reading this book very much. I did see the movie first which I hardly ever do but since it had been a while it really didn't matter. This is such a very good book, beautiful imagery and great explanations unlike the movie (which was very good too!). ( )
  ladyofunicorns | Oct 4, 2015 |
This is the sad and powerful true story of a homeless man with schizophrenia who is also a talented musician. The subtitle refers to the friendship between the musician and the reporter as "unlikely," and music as being "redemptive," but the friendship is just as redemptive as the music. Relationship is of paramount significance! ( )
  TheresaCIncinnati | Aug 17, 2015 |
Jane's recommendation. redemptive power of music in the life of a homeless schizophrenic. Interesting book. I appreciated the author's analysis of his motives as he got more involved with this man. I enjoyed tracking down a documentary on this story. ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
For Alison and Caroline, who made Nathaniel part of our extended family. And for Nathaniel's mother, the late Floria Boone, whose love never wavered.
I'm on foot in downtown Los Angeles, hustling back to the office with another deadline looming.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 042522600X, Paperback)

Now a major motion picture-"An intimate portrait of mental illness, of atrocious social neglect, and the struggle to resurrect a fallen prodigy." (Mark Bowden, author of Black Hawk Down)

This is the true story of journalist Steve Lopez's discovery of Nathaniel Ayers, a former classical bass student at Julliard, playing his heart out on a two-string violin on Los Angeles' Skid Row. Deeply affected by the beauty of Ayers's music, Lopez took it upon himself to change the prodigy's life-only to find that their relationship has had a profound change on his own life.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:21 -0400)

The true story of Nathaniel Ayers, a musician who becomes schizophrenic and homeless, and his friendship with Steve Lopez, the Los Angeles columnist who discovers and writes about him in the newspaper.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,180,113 books! | Top bar: Always visible