A Fantasy of Dr. Ox by Jules Verne

A Fantasy of Dr. Ox (1872)

by Jules Verne

English (3)  French (2)  All (5)
Dr. Ox has come to town and is exposing the citizens to massive doses of oxyhydron for the good of scientific research.

This is a short novella but I could not bring myself to finish it. I've read Verne's popular works and enjoyed them very much but found this incredibly boring. It is supposed to be a comedy but between the 19th century science discussions and the droning on about opera, I'm not sure which put me to sleep first.

The book itself does have merits. My copy is illustrated by William Pene du Bois, who is an exceptional children's illustrator. I actually purchased the book because of the illustrations. There is also an extensive bibliography at the back which details the first English publications of all Verne's work including novels, stories, plays and non-fiction. The bibliography is also illustrated with pictures taken from the original editions.

A good book to look at, but I wouldn't advise reading it. ( )
  ElizaJane | Sep 20, 2007 |
science fiction
  finna |
If you take a map of Flanders, old or new, and start looking for the small town of Quiquendone, it is quite probable you won't find it.

Because of his attention to the details of scientific facts and advances in technology, Jules Verne is considered one of the founders of modern science fiction. In the riotous escapades of Dr. Ox's Experiment he breaks new ground, pioneering the first comic science fiction story to ever appear in print.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:30 -0400)

9 pay1 free

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,891,725 books! | Top bar: Always visible