Battle Cry by Leon Uris

Battle Cry (1953)

by Leon Uris

My favorite of Uris' novels, this story about a group of Marines in World War II is as tragicomic as they come. ( )
  wanack | Oct 6, 2010 |
I read this book in the ninth grade, it was the first book I picked up of Leon Uris...I fell in love with each and every character in the story. The man has a gift for taking all these lives and building a intertwining, lyrical story that leaves a person aching at the end. At least for me. I cried, and in telling the tale to my sisters, she cried. Powerful stuff people. ( )
  Kace | Jan 30, 2010 |
3288. Battle Cry, by Leon M. Uris (read Jan 23, 2000) I heard this recently described as one of the 3 great war books to come out of World War II, so I thought I'd read it. The Naked and the Dead, From Here to Eternity, and The Caine Mutiny are all better books than is this book, however. But the book catches one up, and the accounts of fighting on Guadacanal, Tarawa, and Saipan really are riveting--especially Saipan, with which the book ends. The only other things I have read by Uris are Trinity and Exodus, and this book is far better than those two works. I think this is Uris' first book, and I suspect it is his best, tho that doesn't say too much, IMHO. ( )
  Schmerguls | Dec 1, 2007 |
Still one of the best written books of war out there. It's aged well, though the movie hasn't. Uris' characters are a believable composite of Americans. The situations and stories are really vingettes and while not as overly harsh as combat situations are, they do convey the right amount of fear, conditions, and the different human reactions that different individuals would likely have.

Given its age, the omission of true Marine vocabulary (4 letter words as a base for all others) isn't surprising, but you have to wonder what it would read like if written by today's accepted standards.

Still and excellent and patriotic read of how humans behave under the stress of war. ( )
  kaplanr | Aug 2, 2007 |

Leon Urisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
de Wit-Boonacker, H.C.ETranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to the United States Marines, and to one in particular - Staff Sergeant Betty Beck Uris.
They call me Mac.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 006075186X, Mass Market Paperback)

Battle Cry is the riveting Marine epic by the bestselling author of such classics as Trinity and Exodus.

Originally published in 1953, Leon Uris's Battle Cry is the raw and exciting story of men at war from a legendary American author.

This is the story of enlisted men – Marines – at the beginning of World War II. They are a rough–and–ready tangle of guys from America's cities and farms and reservations. Led by a tough veteran sergeant, these soldiers band together to emerge as part of one of the most elite fighting forces in the world. With staggering realism and detail, we follow them into intense battles – Guadalcanal and Tarawa – and through exceptional moments of camaraderie and bravery. Battle Cry does not extol the glories of war, but proves itself to be one of the greatest war stories of all time.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:39:25 -0400)

Follows the fortunes of a U.S. Marine outfit from boot camp to Guadalcanal, Tarawa, and elsewhere in the Pacific during World War II.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,720,035 books! | Top bar: Always visible