Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Devotional Classics: Selected Readings for…

Devotional Classics: Selected Readings for Individuals and Groups (1990)

by Richard J. Foster, James Bryan Smith (Editor)

This has been a very interesting devotional, introducing several authors I liked and want to read more of. Others I didn't see eye to eye with, as they seemed to imply that you must do some of these things or your faith is inadequate. That's a fine line - some practices can be helpful for spiritual discipline for me, but I should not impose them on someone else if they have other disciplines that are helpful for them. ( )
  Luke_Brown | Sep 10, 2016 |
I read this in the early 90's when it was still just pages in a loose-leaf three ring binder! I love it! It gives you a little taste of all the spiritual classics. It will make you want to read them. Beware! It will start a lifetime of reading. :)

I love the carefully crafted questions at the end of each reading too. ( )
  Carolfoasia | May 7, 2016 |
One of the best devotional books for groups I've ever read/used ( )
  JRandolphT | Dec 31, 2011 |
A morning Women’s Bible study chose this updated version to incorporate all six traditions that comprise a healthy and holistic life of faith, these fifty-two selections have been organized to introduce the great devotional writers through the course of one year. Edited by James Smith, each reading is accompanied by an introduction and meditation by Richard Foster. In addition, each entry also includes a related biblical passage, discussion questions, and individual and group exercises. With devotional readings in: 1) the Prayer-filled life 2) the Virtuous life 3) the Spirit-Empowered life 4) the Compassionate life 5) the Word-centered life 6) the Sacramental life, Foster and Smith sift through the great spiritual writers of the past as well as contemporary readings from some of our new spiritual leaders to form a guide that is indispensable to those looking for a deeper and more balanced spiritual life. Devotional Classics features readings from: Augustine of Hippo, Blaise Pascal, Francis of Assisi, Dietrich Bonhoeffer, Julian of Norwich, Martin Luther, Soren Kierkegaard, Annie Dillard, Thomas Merton, Kathleen Norris, Dallas Willard, John Calvin, and many more.
  EdwardGleason | Oct 26, 2011 |
  Corrientes | Feb 18, 2010 |

Richard J. Fosterprimary authorall editionscalculated
Smith, James BryanEditormain authorall editionsconfirmed

These fifty-two selections have been organized to introduce readers through the course of one year to the great devotional writers. The readings have been edited by James Smith, and each is accompanied by an introduction and meditation by Richard Foster. In addition, each reading features a linked biblical passage, discussion questions, and individual and group excercises. Devotional Classics features readings from: Augustine of Hippo, Bernard of Clairvaux, Frances of Assisi, Julian of Norwich, Catherine of Siena, Thomas á Kempis Catherine of Genoa, Martin Luther, Ignatius of loyola, John Calvin, Teresa Avila, Blaise Pascal, Madame Jeanne Guyon, Soren Kierkegaard, Evelyn Underhill, Dietrich Bonhoeffer, Thomas Merton, Dallas Willard, and many more.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:27 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,480,188 books! | Top bar: Always visible