Father Joe: The Man Who Saved My Soul by…

Father Joe: The Man Who Saved My Soul (edition 2005)

by Tony Hendra (Author)

Member:amyvancura
Title:Father Joe: The Man Who Saved My Soul
Authors:Tony Hendra (Author)
Info:Random House Trade Paperbacks (2005), Edition: First Edition, 304 pages

Father Joe by Tony Hendra

Loved Father Joe, a gentle soul full of wit and wisdom. Too bad I can't say the same for the author. He was unlikable and it ruined the story of Father Joe. Father Joe deserved better. ( )
  janb37 | Feb 13, 2017 |
This book was worth reading and gets at the big questions about life, the journey of life. What is it that brings truth, beauty and goodness into our lives? What keeps these qualities at bay? What aspects of our lives must be thrown off or changed; what must be added to open one’s life or soul to truth, goodness and beauty? Life has a way of happening to us as much as we make it happen to life. How do we know what to change, let alone, how to change it? This book is the story of a soul who wants real life – something authentic and not a mere copy of some other life. It's about finding one's identity and destiny. The story tells of a seeker who along the way happens to find the consummate guide without knowing it. The guide is one who sustains and guides without doing so directly. Love powers and sustains what's good in the story – and opens the soul to receive the guidance. It shows how faith works over the long term. The story is about the guide as much as it is about the one being guided. So - therein is the intrigue of the book: one flawed human being, the seeker, juxtaposed to the true guide who is himself, truth, goodness and beauty – and love. This book gives us a true picture of love - what it looks like, how it is virtuously manifested as well as its diabolical opposites. The question also posed in the book is whether anyone can come to have a life of truth, goodness, beauty and love irrespective of their past or where they are presently in life. ( )
  allenkeith | Jan 2, 2015 |
Interesting story; yet sad and the author had so much talent and potential he wasted advocating worthless causes. ( )
  mrluckey | Jun 17, 2014 |
Loved it. ( )
  lindap69 | Apr 5, 2013 |
What to say, what to say? This book is misleadingly titled: Father Joe sounds like a saint, and a book about him would probably be lovely, but this book isn't it. This book is Tony Hendra's spiritual memoir and it's about Tony Hendra. Father Joe's role is central in much the same way as God is central to the Bible, that is to say: he doesn't actually show up very often.

On the other hand, if you accept it as such, it is a very well-written and beautiful memoir. Certainly well worth the time to read. (Bonus: he talks about bullying Steven Hawking into doing his math homework.)

Ah, but there's a world out there, and what's between any pair of covers is always an imperfect reflection of that world. What we can see from this book is that he married his college girlfriend, and they had two children (not quite in that order of operations). The details are sketchy, except that Father Joe keeps telling him to be "unselfish", beyond that we just know that he was a lousy husband and father and the marriage ended. And he doesn't seem to have a close relationship with the children of that first marriage: not only are they not mentioned by name, the book doesn't even specify that they were both daughters.

What you can't tell from the book is that the younger of his daughters, Jessica, has accused him of child molestation and, frankly, her story is a lot more credible than his denial. I wish I had known that before I read the book.

In sum: there is a saint here, but it ain't Hendra, and mostly you'll be hearing about Hendra.

Apparently, Father Joe was a close spiritual advisor to hundreds of people, including the Archbishop of Canterbury. So... Hendra is certainly not the only competent writer who ever knew him. Perhaps we can look forward to a book that's actually about Father Joe someday. ( )
  Heduanna | Jan 21, 2013 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0812972341, Paperback)

How I met Father Joe. I was fourteen and having an affair with a married woman. These are the opening lines to the first chapter of this outstanding memoir by former National Lampoon Editor Tony Hendra. How could we resist diving into this deliciously satisfying story about a lifelong mentorship with Dom Joseph Warrilow, a.k.a. Father Joe? After the devout Catholic husband catches the illicit couple in the kitchen, the husband does not attack Hendra. Instead he decides the young boy needs salvation. Amazingly, the husband leads Hendra to the one man who could save his soul: Father Joe. This is a tribute to a spiritual mentor, written in an easygoing, guy-talk style. It is no small feat to be brilliantly funny, ruthlessly honest, and spiritually profound at the same time, but Hendra has the winning combo. For more than 40 years Hendra would return to this mesmerizing old soul to tell him everything---from the details of his first sexual encounter, through questioning the social value of satire, to his crisis in faith after losing two children through miscarriages. But it's not just the North Star wisdom of Father Joe that captivates readers; it is the chance to follow Hendra as he gradually matures into a humble and spiritually solid man who can still crack a wicked good joke. Such a gift. Thank you, Tony Hendra. --Gail Hudson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:41 -0400)

The author recounts his friendship with a Benedictine monk, from the first encounter between troubled teen and counselor, through years of perfunctory contact, to the renewal of their bond at the end of Father Joe's life.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,836,252 books! | Top bar: Always visible