Poll dancing : the story of the 2007…

Poll dancing : the story of the 2007 election

by Mungo Maccallum

This partisan account of Australia's 2007 general election is another vintage piece of MacCallum reportage. ( )
  hollowman | Apr 1, 2008 |
Could only put this down when food, work or other essential activity called. Wonderful to relive 2007 again, only this time through my memory and Mungo's words. Where were the so-called journalists during the Howard years? Their names appeared but someone else was writing the stories. What use is democracy when part of it is dead? Well, two parts, the Federal Opposition up until 4 December 2007 and the journos. I thought my morning coffee colleague was the only one in real-time who could see what was happening. Good on you Mungo, thanks for recalling those events that resonated with the two (three) of us at the time. ( )
  Goebte | Jan 2, 2008 |
Mungo back at his best ( )
Classic Mungo. ( )
All the ills of mankind, all the tragic misfortunes that fill the history books, all the political blunders, all the failures of the great leaders, have arisen merely from a lack of skill at dancing.

-MOLIÈRE
One morning in his tenth year as prime minister, John Winston Howard awoke in the master bedroom of Kirrabilli House to realise that he had become not only omnipotent but invincible.
For more than eleven years, John Howard led us on a voyage driven by greed and fear, into parochialism and paranoia, selfishness and racism, bigotry and corruption, and other dark places in the Australian psyche where we never should have gone. It was a mean and ugly trip, and it will take us all a long time to recover.

With his legendary wit and irreverence, Mungo MacCallum recounts the events of the 2007 election year. This is a book that will be rush-released, to be on shelves within a couple of weeks of the election result. The 2007 campaign promises to be one of the most hard-fought on record - a battle of ideas, personalities and parties. As well as the leaders, there is a memorable supporting cast including Garrett, Gillard, Costello, Downer, Abbott and Turnbull. Combining observation, analysis and storytelling in hilarious fashion, MacCallum tracks the fortunes of the players right up until the final votes are in.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,437,834 books! | Top bar: Always visible