The Iron Hunt by Marjorie Liu

The Iron Hunt

by Marjorie Liu

Recently added byCamplane60, Aneris, Addams95, CommanderSoftpaws, Wasabiishot, private library, dibs139, veredi

I think I liked the ideas in this story more than liked the story itself. Still an entertaining read. ( )
  SashaM | Apr 20, 2016 |
I tried to get into this book, really I did. I just couldn't. Then I find out that there is a kind of prequel to this as a short in an anthology book that makes the book better. Sigh. Too much work, I have tons to read that won't be as hard. ( )
  pnwbookgirl | Feb 7, 2016 |
I HATE this book! Everything about it is terrible. I feel cheated of my time and robbed of my money.

The plot is a simple one. In fact this would've served better as a novella because 300 pages was too many for what little was in them. And grammar nazis will have a fit, running out of red ink before they turn the last page.

For a supposedly lethal hunter and fierce protector of the world against monsters and demons imprisoned behind a veil, Maxine Kiss was a pansy-assed pussy. I'm sorry for my crass language but I'm so Mad. She asked everyone questions and whether they be friend or foe she never received a straight answer. Meaningless riddles are not an answer. She threatened but never followed through. ("You try anything, you even think about standing up, and I will have you shitting out of your dick so fast you'll beg me to rip it off." ~ Best threat) She just accepted these non-answers and moved on. To my frustrated consternation this happened repeatedly all the way through the book:

Maxine encountered someone, they talk some shit and do a lot of implying, she'd question them, they'd deflect or give some vague and incomprehensible response. Kick some ass, woman! Where's this fierce warrior that's supposed to "save the world"? Because frankly if you're our saviour, then kill me now. Pathetic.

And what the hell was she doing with someone like Grant? They live by such fundamentally different philosophies. Maxine kills the things that go bump in the night and Grant "saves" them. Slightly naive of him, if you ask me. Also, I'm not discriminating against the disabled here but if Maxine was going to settle down with anyone, shouldn't it be with someone who has the ability to run for his life? Otherwise, they're just cannon fodder. There's no way for him to keep up with her or effectively fight by her side. His flute would be no match for angry demon hordes.

I found none of the characters likeable, unless you count homeless teen Byron who was turned into a pitiable creature. Maxine was unkillable. It was absurdly cartoon-ish the way she was run over by a bus and got right back up again, completely unharmed. I wonder if she's hardy against poison and disease. Please, someone try it.

For someone slapped with a violently pro-active personna she did absolutely fuck all. All growl and no bite. The original premise was a good one but unfortunately it was poorly executed. By the end I still didn't fully understand what had changed from the beginning. It's taken me four excrutingly long months to finish this and that's with skimming.

On the 12th April I said:
"Iron Hunt sucks! I will congratulate anyone who managed to finish it. Those who gave this book 5 stars is not my friend. I've just offended 181 people but I don't care. I hate every character so far except maybe this homeless teenager who's probably just a flash in the pan. It's frustratingly slow and sparse on the background details. Good bits are few and far between. It's a challenge read so I have to finish. Stupid challenges."

I stick by this statement but to any future friends who may have rated this 5 stars, I'm sorry but we may just have to go our separate ways. ( )
  Cynical_Ames | Sep 23, 2014 |
A part of my low rating is due to the audio book's narrator - her voice and reading style just did not work for me. Add in an uninteresting main character (Maxine), a romance that felt flat, and names that felt awkward (Blood Mama, The Boys), and it all combines to a series I will not be following. ( )
  WeaselOfDoom | Jan 15, 2014 |
I don't know what I feel about this book. I found it so complicated. I LOVE Marjorie M. Liu. I love all her books, but this I found unsettling.

Maxine Kiss is the world's last hope. For 10000 years demons have been trapped behind a veil. She is charged with killing those demons that escape from their prison. Things quickly change when something "other" escapes from within the veil. She learns she's not what she seems and neither are those around her. Her mother had kept her ignorant of many things and she's looking for answers.

Maxine is helped by her "tattoos". They are really demons that have been handed down through the Kiss women to help with this task. She is also the Hunter. The last of her kind. With the opening of the veil, old prophecies are borne to fruition and she must make sense of her role in the prophecy; and where her demon family fit in.

As I think of the book, I enjoyed it. I just don't know if I liked it. Does that make sense? I don't know if I ever understood why so many secrets, what the purpose of it all is/was, or why so many players. Not all the secrets were revealed or maybe I just didn't understand them if they were. This reminds me a little of the "I am the Cheese" book. I will definitely have to re-read to make sure I got all it. Overall, I like the characters, I love the concept of Maxine Kiss and her tattoos; but I'm just not sure if I really understood what I was reading. ( )
  mearias | Sep 23, 2013 |
To my mom, who taught me to play by ear, and my dad, who told me not to...
When I was eight, my mother lost me to zombies in a one-card draw.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0441016065, Mass Market Paperback)

First in a stunning new urban fantasy series from an author who “NEVER CEASES TO AMAZE.” (BOOKLIST, STARRED REVIEW)

Demon hunter Maxine Kiss wears her armor as tattoos, which unwind from her body to take on forms of their own at night. They stand between her and her enemies, just as Maxine stands between humanity and the demons breaking out from behind the prison veils. It is a life lacking in love, reveling in death, until one moment—and one man— changes everything.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:28 -0400)

Maxine Kiss, the only one standing between humankind and the demons breaking out from behind prison veils, lives a life lacking in love and reveling in death, until one moment and one man changes everything.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,209,250 books! | Top bar: Always visible