What To Do About Alice?: How Alice Roosevelt…

by Barbara Kerley, Edwin Fotheringham (Illustrator)

Member:mdsalazar
Title:What To Do About Alice?: How Alice Roosevelt Broke the Rules, Charmed the World, and Drove Her Father Teddy Crazy!
Authors:Barbara Kerley
Other authors:Edwin Fotheringham (Illustrator)
Info:Scholastic Press (2008), Hardcover, 48 pages
Tags:Presidents, Theodore Roosevelt, Growing up

What To Do About Alice?: How Alice Roosevelt Broke the Rules, Charmed the World, and Drove Her Father Teddy Crazy! by Barbara Kerley

Delightful, truly makes history come alive... I wish we had books like this when I was a kid, maybe about 9-11 years old.  The only problem is that the fine print bio, the 'author's note' section, is printed on the endpaper directly, and so much is hidden in a jacketed library edition.  I know authors would like us to buy our own copies, but a biography?  Naw, that's a library book. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
At a time when women were more expected to me seen and less expected to be heard, Alice Lee Roosevelt had something else in mind. Not only was she seen by people all of the world, she also ensured she was heard. This book brought a little history and a lot of fun to life. ( )
  dbuster | Apr 13, 2016 |
What To Do About Alice is such a fun book. The illustrations are bright and colorful, each page draws your attention. This book also shows that even though Alice was the president's daughter she was just like any other kid who wanted to have fun. ( )
  mckenziechaney | Apr 12, 2016 |
In my opinion, this is a well-written book. The book provides an example for what it is to be like as a historical woman that had political and social power. My favorite part of this story was the illustrations on each page. All of the illustrations fit what was written in the text and enhanced the story. For example, the illustrator did an awesome job representing what needed to be represented on each page. My favorite illustration was when Alice was at home daydreaming about wanting to own a pet monkey and wear pants. On the page where this occurred, the illustrator drew her looking out her window day dreaming about what she wanted as a class of all girls wearing dresses were walking down the street with their teacher and a carriage ride in the street. The writing in this story was very engaging. Each page had multiple types of texts flowing throughout the story. For example, on the first page on the story, “It wasn’t herding thousands of cattle across the Dakota badlands,” is in regular print and “HE’D DONE THAT” is in bold print and capital letters. ( )
  bjones49 | Feb 29, 2016 |
Alice Roosevelt is the oldest daughter of the President, and she has a zest for a life and a desire to do things her own way. She shies away from convention and educates herself by reading book after book in her father's enormous library. What a wonderful read aloud to not only launch a history lesson, but to remind all of our students that going your own way may mean defying convention, but it may be worth it all in the end if you are true to your own ideals. Beautifully illustrated by the talented Edwin Fotheringham. I wanted to zip right out and go for a romp around town, and your students will as well. Delightful!
  aliceanne | Feb 21, 2016 |

Barbara Kerleyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Fotheringham, EdwinIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Theodore Roosevelt had a small problem. Her name was Alice. Alice Lee Roosevelt was hungry to go places, meet people, do things. Father called it running riot. Alice called it eating up the world. Whether she was entertaining important White House visitors with her pet snake or traveling the globe, Alice bucked convention and turned every new experience into an adventure! Brimming with affection and wit, this spirited biography gives readers a peek family life inside the White House. Prose and pictures spring, gambol, and two-step across the pages to celebrate a maverick American heroine.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:45 -0400)

A brief biography in pictures and simple text of Alice Roosevelt, the daughter of Theodore Roosevelt and his first wife.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,806,836 books! | Top bar: Always visible