The Bone Collector (A Lincoln Rhyme Novel)…

The Bone Collector (A Lincoln Rhyme Novel) (original 1997; edition 1998)

by Jeffery Deaver

Member:xcrischix
Title:The Bone Collector (A Lincoln Rhyme Novel)
Authors:Jeffery Deaver
Info:Signet (1998), Mass Market Paperback, 528 Seiten
Rating:*****

The Bone Collector by Jeffery Deaver (1997)

I first read this novel years back - possibly upon first release - and still recall two aspects of my review, good and bad: I developed a little crush on Thom, Lincoln Rhyme's care assistant, with whom he has a sort of Nero Wolfe/Archie Goodwin relationship, and I couldn't stand Amelia Sachs, the 'legman' of the series. Why does she - and nigh on every other main character bar the cartoon cliches - have to be so beautiful? And Deaver rather labours the point, throwing all the adjectives at her - stunning, exquisite, etc (while Rhyme himself is 'handsome'). Couldn't she just be - have red hair, blue eyes and full (not 'Julia Roberts') lips, check, but not be an ex-model to boot? The self-destructive 'flaws' she has of biting her nails down to the quick and picking at her eyebrows are a weak device for bringing her down to earth and making her sympathetic, too. I get the feeling that Deaver was writing with the intention of having his novel turned into a movie, which is ironic, because the film totally trashed the casting.

The plot, I will admit, kept me reading, despite having read the book previously - although I had forgotten the 'twist in the tale', which shocked me again. Primarily because I love the 'history' angle of the mystery, learning about old New York. I even managed to overlook how drop dead gorgeous Sachs was, and started thinking of her in the more constructive light of a good policewoman/crime scene investigator. The ending, however - least said soonest mended (and given away). Good twist, weak explanation, and I know that a defenceless man trapped in a room with a killer was the whole premise of the novel, but what the hell kind of defence was that? Is Rhyme part bulldog?

I still love Thom - glad he didn't get killed off like his gender-flip replacement Thelma in the movie (what was that about?) - and Rhyme is a crotchety bastard, which is a quality I always love in detectives, so I just have to hope that Sachs continues to grow on me over the next three books! ( )
  AdonisGuilfoyle | Apr 17, 2016 |
Easy to see what a sucess this character would be.
a semi cllassic. ( )
  PaulRx04 | Apr 15, 2016 |
This is a Lincoln Rhymes book. He was a brilliant criminologist until an accident left him paralyzed. Someone is kidnapping and killing others. Rhymes has been out of the game for awhile but is brought back in and joins with a new officer Amanda Sachs.
  taurus27 | Mar 26, 2016 |
I'm one of those impatient people that gives up on a book if I don't get hooked after the first couple of chapters. After 10 chapters, I came to the realization that I. Just. Don't. Care. I didn't find the characters likeable, interesting or easy to relate to. The plot didn't intrigue me, and I felt that I would rather be washing the floor with a toothbrush than to continue reading this book. Big disappointment, glad I didn't bother watching the movie either. ( )
  TeeMc | Mar 11, 2016 |
Patrol Officer Amelia Sachs comes across a body, and takes the initiative to secure the crime scene. Lincoln Rhyme, several years after the on-duty injury that paralyzed him, is waiting to meet the doctor who will finally help him … to kill himself. Their paths intersect in this case because Rhyme is still the best criminalist the New York Police Department has ever had. He uses Sachs to be his legs, eyes, ears, nose, as he coaches her in evidence recovery.

The pace is quick and Deaver doesn’t give the reader (or his protagonists) time to breathe. The time frame is only one weekend … from Friday at 10:30pm to Monday at 10:00pm. The action alternates between the killer and his deteriorating mental condition, and the police who are struggling to interpret the clues with which the Bone Collector taunts them.

Deaver creates a criminal who is brilliant, methodical, evil, and lucky … too lucky. When I sit back and look at the events over this short time frame, it just doesn’t seem possible that he could accomplish all he does; towards the end I found myself thinking “Really?” more often than not. Still Deaver kept me turning pages, and I was definitely surprised at the reveal. (NOTE: If, like me, you have previously seen the movie starring Denzel Washington and Angelina Jolie, but have not read the book – get rid of those images in your head. The book is quite different – from the description of the characters, to the identity of the killer.)

But I love how Lincoln Rhyme and Amelia Sachs are portrayed and develop through the book. I’m looking forward to the next book in the series and to watching how Deaver reveals their growing relationship. ( )
  BookConcierge | Feb 16, 2016 |

Deaver, Jefferyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Massaron S.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Massaron, StefanoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The present in New York is so powerful that the past is lost. - John Jay Chapman
For my family, Dee, Danny, Julie, Ethel, and Nelson...Apples don't fall far. And for Diana too.
She wanted only to sleep.

Lincoln Rhyme was once one of the nation's most brilliant criminologists, a genius in the field of forensics. Now an accident has left his physically crippled and emotionally stunted. But he's about to be dragged into the most explosive case of his already distinguished career. A diabolical killer known as the Bone Collector has been stalking unsuspecting prey on the streets of New York, and it will take all of Rhyme's investigative skills to stop him.

With beautiful police detective Amelia Sachs at his side, Rhyme must uncover a labyrinth of clues to prevent the next grisly crime. But a race against the clock becomes a terrifying battle of wits as Rhyme is drawn, step by chilling step, into the mind of a monstrous madman who won't stop until he has stripped life down to raw bone...

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451188454, Mass Market Paperback)

The hero of Jeffery Deaver's thriller The Bone Collector is Lincoln Rhyme, a forensic scientist known to his peers as "the world's foremost criminalist." Rhyme will need all his reason--and his considerable stock of high-tech tools--about him to solve this latest brain-twister: a serial killer with method to his madness. In tried and true thriller fashion, the killer's crimes are described in lurid detail, as is the astounding technological equipment with which Rhyme examines the evidence--everything from an energy-dispersive x-ray unit to a mass spectrometer.

Every fictional detective has his or her gimmick, from Sherlock Holmes's violin to Nero Wolf's orchids, and Rhyme is no exception. He is a quadriplegic who can move nothing but a single finger. Gadget-philes will be in seventh heaven reading about Lincoln Rhyme's tools; other readers might feel the book could do with a few more plausible characters and a little less technology.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:17 -0400)

Once the nation's foremost criminologist and the ex-head of NYPD forensics, quadriplegic Lincoln Rhyme abandons his forced retirement and joins forces with rookie cop Amelia Sachs to track down a vicious serial killer. A paralyzed New York detective is talked out of committing suicide to hunt for a cab driver who tortures and kills. The detective, Lincoln Rhyme, can only move his head so he is paired with police beauty Amelia Sachs. Together they go after the killer who tantalizes police with clues to his next murder. By the author of A Maiden's Grave.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,251,042 books! | Top bar: Always visible