The Bone Collector (A Lincoln Rhyme Novel)…

The Bone Collector (A Lincoln Rhyme Novel) (original 1997; edition 1998)

by Jeffery Deaver

Member:xcrischix
Title:The Bone Collector (A Lincoln Rhyme Novel)
Authors:Jeffery Deaver
Info:Signet (1998), Mass Market Paperback, 528 Seiten
Rating:*****

The Bone Collector by Jeffery Deaver (1997)

Unlike many other reviewers, I did NOT see this movie beforehand, had not seen any part of it, and didn't even know Denzel Washington played Lincoln Rhyme until someone told me about it, so I do not have anything affecting my review of the novel.

I'm a little cynical when it comes to recurring characters in mystery series, because it seems nowadays that every character has to have a little gimmick to set them apart from the thousands of other detectives vying for the reader's attention. And when I first learned that Lincoln Rhyme was a paraplegic forensic investigator, I inwardly rolled my eyes. But it works! It really, really works! It turns Rhyme into an extremely complex character and not just an irritable, anal-retentive investigator. And it also means that in order for Rhyme to be challenged, he must be pitted against an extremely formidable enemy. In this case, it is an extremely clever serial killer who murders his victims and takes their bones.

Most readers will come to this novel because of the forensic details, and they will not be disappointed. The wealth of information about crime scene investigations is ASTOUNDING. Those were actually my favorite parts of the novel - the collecting of evidence, the conclusions drawn from a tiny clod of dirt or a stray carpet fiber. And the writing itself was just as sharp and intelligent as Rhyme's investigative skills.

And then there are the plot twists...This book is full of them, from beginning to end. But the author kept them from feeling cheap or manipulative, so I felt like I was reading in a constant state of surprise. A thrilling page turner of the highest order.

After I finished reading, I took stock of everything I had come across in this book - intelligent writing with fascinating forensic details, well-developed and interesting characters, a detailed setting, a terrifying serial killer, and plot twists all over the place. Very rarely have I come across such a well-rounded and well-executed thriller. If you enjoy forensic mysteries and have not yet read this novel, read it. Read it now. Stop reading this and go pick up the book.

Readalikes:

Temperance Brennan series - Kathy Reichs. This is another well-rounded forensic thriller with interesting characters, a large amount of research, and a chilling serial killer. The technology & forensic techniques are a little dated (more so than The Bone Collector), but it's still a very solid read. Deja Dead is the first in the series.

Kay Scarpetta series - Patricia Cornwell. See above description, although Scarpetta is a medical examiner and Brennan is a forensic anthropologist, so their areas of expertise differ. Postmortem is the first in this series.

Hannibal Lecter series - Thomas Harris. If you're looking for fascinating characters, terrifying villains, tons of forensic and investigative details, and gruesome crime scenes, try Red Dragon (the first in the series) or Silence of the Lambs (the most-read book in the series).

Michael Crichton. This is a slightly out-of-the-box suggestion, since Crichton didn't write any forensic thrillers, but his novels always included a vast amount of scientific research, whether it was genetics and cloning in Jurassic Park, time travel in Sphere, or the mechanisms of researching viruses in The Andromeda Strain. ( )
  coloradogirl14 | May 28, 2014 |
Read from February 11 to 12, 2014

Listened for Review (Penguin Audio)
Overall Rating: 4.00
Story Rating: 4.25
Character Rating: 3.75

Audio Rating: 3.50 (not part of the overall rating)

First Thought when Finished: The Bone Collector by Jeffery Deaver was a wonderful re-read!

Story Thoughts: I had forgotten how much I really enjoyed the Lincoln Rhyme series. The Bone Collector was a very good beginning to an even better series. I am sure that most people have seen the movie (which is close enough to the story for you to get the gist) but the book is even better. If you like a good procedural that is all about following the clues, getting the evidence, and breaking everything down step by step then this is for you!

Character Thoughts: I had forgotten that at the beginning I didn't like Lincoln. I adore him now but going back to the beginning just brought back how much character growth he has had. Amelia is also a little hard to like in the beginning but she I grew to love by the end of this book. The one thing they do well together is work off of each other. They both have strengths and weaknesses (not talking physical) that actually make them excellent partners.

Audio Thoughts:

Narrated By Connor O'Brien / Length: 11 hrs and 21 mins

I think Connor did a pretty good job with the narration. I have to admit he didn't sound like I have Lincoln in my mind. However, he did a great job with the pacing and I am going to put him on my narrators to try in other series list. I would even listen to him do this series again.

Final Thoughts: Great revisit to this series. ( )
  thehistorychic | May 2, 2014 |
Lincoln Rhyme was a forensic expert and is now a quadriplegic. Even still, he is brought into help with a case. Amelia Sachs is an officer who has never worked a crime scene, but Rhyme wants her, specifically, to walk the scene while he has a microphone and talks her through it. They are after someone who is kidnapping people, and leaving them to die... and leaving clues for the police to the next victim. They are trying to solve the clues before the next victim dies.

I wasn't sure at the start how much I'd like this, as it seemed a bit technical for me. Some stuff I understood a bit (thank you, Criminal Minds!), but some of it lost me. However, I really liked the interaction between Rhyme and Sachs, and I was always on edge as they tried to figure out the clues and race to the next crime scene to see if they would get there in time to save the next victim. I ended up really enjoying this and will definitely read more of this series. I was surprised at how quickly this one went. ( )
  LibraryCin | Feb 5, 2014 |
Lincoln Rhyme (played by Denzel Washington on the movie, which I didn't see) is a disabled criminologist who solves murders from his home, with the help of police detective Amelia Sachs (Angelina Jolie). The forensics and police procedure seemed authentic, but things got grisly and I didn't always want to be there. ( )
  ennie | Dec 4, 2013 |
The Bone Collector is the first novel in the Lincoln Rhyme series by Jeffery Deaver. A husband and wife are kidnapped in New York. Later the body of the man is found buried near some railway tracks with his hand sticking out of the ground wearing his wife's wedding ring. Quadriplegic investigator Lincoln Rhyme, an expert in forensics, is called in to help investigate and recruits Amelia Sachs to assist him. What they face is a race against time to catch a killer who leaves them clues to the whereabouts of his next victims with time enough for the cops to save them if they are fast enough.

Most people are probably more familiar with the film, starring Denzel Washington and Angelina Jolie, rather than the book. I would highly recommend reading the book (preferably first)Read the full review here ( )
  thecrimescene | Sep 30, 2013 |

Deaver, Jefferyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Massaron S.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Massaron, StefanoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The present in New York is so powerful that the past is lost. - John Jay Chapman
For my family, Dee, Danny, Julie, Ethel, and Nelson...Apples don't fall far. And for Diana too.
She wanted only to sleep.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451188454, Mass Market Paperback)

The hero of Jeffery Deaver's thriller The Bone Collector is Lincoln Rhyme, a forensic scientist known to his peers as "the world's foremost criminalist." Rhyme will need all his reason--and his considerable stock of high-tech tools--about him to solve this latest brain-twister: a serial killer with method to his madness. In tried and true thriller fashion, the killer's crimes are described in lurid detail, as is the astounding technological equipment with which Rhyme examines the evidence--everything from an energy-dispersive x-ray unit to a mass spectrometer.

Every fictional detective has his or her gimmick, from Sherlock Holmes's violin to Nero Wolf's orchids, and Rhyme is no exception. He is a quadriplegic who can move nothing but a single finger. Gadget-philes will be in seventh heaven reading about Lincoln Rhyme's tools; other readers might feel the book could do with a few more plausible characters and a little less technology.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:21:10 -0400)

Once the nation's foremost criminologist and the ex-head of NYPD forensics, quadriplegic Lincoln Rhyme abandons his forced retirement and joins forces with rookie cop Amelia Sachs to track down a vicious serial killer. A paralyzed New York detective is talked out of committing suicide to hunt for a cab driver who tortures and kills. The detective, Lincoln Rhyme, can only move his head so he is paired with police beauty Amelia Sachs. Together they go after the killer who tantalizes police with clues to his next murder. By the author of A Maiden's Grave.… (more)

Five editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,626,821 books! | Top bar: Always visible