The Bone Collector (A Lincoln Rhyme Novel)…

The Bone Collector (A Lincoln Rhyme Novel) (original 1997; edition 1998)

by Jeffery Deaver

Title:The Bone Collector (A Lincoln Rhyme Novel)
Authors:Jeffery Deaver
Info:Signet (1998), Mass Market Paperback, 528 Seiten

The Bone Collector by Jeffery Deaver (1997)

Recently added byprivate library, eden1013, LitaVore, Crissy8686, SuzanDue, dyan46, enaid, razzzat, krickal

When I decided to add to the mix some new writers and series (new to me, anyway), this one was already on the list. I’d heard so many good things about it that I pointedly avoided the movie adaptation, despite the quality cast. Deaver was respected by too many people to risk a movie ruining the surprises.

Clearly Deaver belongs to the John Sandford school of writing, though I believe Deaver stared first. The philosophy is the same. The emphasis is not on plot or character or atmosphere, but on structure. Keep the readers breathlessly turning the pages at all cost. Then, and only then, can you sprinkle in the other elements that make a story work, particularly in regard to your lead character. At this, The Bone Collector is a success.

Lincoln Rhyme, once the brilliant head of the Crime Scene unit of New York City, is now a quadriplegic due to a freak on-the-job accident. When someone starts kidnapping people and later killing them in bazaar and very public ways, Rhyme is pulled out of retirement, at first against his will. His intelligence and knowledge is an asset that can’t be ignored. Deaver has stated that his intent was to create a modern day Sherlock Holmes. Perhaps Nero Wolfe would have been a better inspiration as Rhyme promptly recruits his own Archie Goodwin in Amelia Sachs. The first officer on the first crime scene, she did everything right, forensically speaking. Originally needed only for her first-hand impressions, she is also quickly drafted into service, also against her will. The two learn to like and respect each other as they pursue their quarry.

If there is any fault it is in Deaver’s efforts to provide obstacles for the middle part of the story. There’s the cliché of the FBI trying to take over the case. And Amelia keeps losing her lifelines. She loses her gun in a tunnel, loses a fire extinguisher in a blazing basement, crashes her vehicle by looking away at the wrong time. That it doesn’t reflect on her competence, however, is a testament to Deaver’s other skills.

In fact, on the whole, The Bone Collector is a testament to Deaver. The complaints are minor compared to what he accomplishes. ( )
  JohnWCuluris | Jun 26, 2016 |
This is a very good read, although do be aware that it is a gritty thriller. There are a few twists as the book goes on and I didn't work out who did it until it was revealed at the very end! There is good interplay between the main characters, and the story does hold together very well. At points it can be quite technical, and for me it lost one star for constantly using initials for processes and procedures, and two-thirds of the way through the book it went off the murders / chase and became more about the main characters before once more building up pace. Having said that it is still a very good book and I will definitely be continuing with the series. The surprise at the end of the book I didn't see coming in a month of Sundays!
I look forward to reading more about these characters. ( )
  Andrew-theQM | Jun 20, 2016 |
I read this after seeing the film,and while I think Denzel and Angelina did a good job,I think the book is so much better.Gives more insight into the characters,especially Lincoln and The Bone Collector ( )
  KarenDuff | Jun 1, 2016 |
I first read this novel years back - possibly upon first release - and still recall two aspects of my review, good and bad: I developed a little crush on Thom, Lincoln Rhyme's care assistant, with whom he has a sort of Nero Wolfe/Archie Goodwin relationship, and I couldn't stand Amelia Sachs, the 'legman' of the series. Why does she - and nigh on every other main character bar the cartoon cliches - have to be so beautiful? And Deaver rather labours the point, throwing all the adjectives at her - stunning, exquisite, etc (while Rhyme himself is 'handsome'). Couldn't she just be - have red hair, blue eyes and full (not 'Julia Roberts') lips, check, but not be an ex-model to boot? The self-destructive 'flaws' she has of biting her nails down to the quick and picking at her eyebrows are a weak device for bringing her down to earth and making her sympathetic, too. I get the feeling that Deaver was writing with the intention of having his novel turned into a movie, which is ironic, because the film totally trashed the casting.

The plot, I will admit, kept me reading, despite having read the book previously - although I had forgotten the 'twist in the tale', which shocked me again. Primarily because I love the 'history' angle of the mystery, learning about old New York. I even managed to overlook how drop dead gorgeous Sachs was, and started thinking of her in the more constructive light of a good policewoman/crime scene investigator. The ending, however - least said soonest mended (and given away). Good twist, weak explanation, and I know that a defenceless man trapped in a room with a killer was the whole premise of the novel, but what the hell kind of defence was that? Is Rhyme part bulldog?

I still love Thom - glad he didn't get killed off like his gender-flip replacement Thelma in the movie (what was that about?) - and Rhyme is a crotchety bastard, which is a quality I always love in detectives, so I just have to hope that Sachs continues to grow on me over the next three books! ( )
1 vote AdonisGuilfoyle | Apr 17, 2016 |
Easy to see what a sucess this character would be.
a semi cllassic. ( )
  PaulRx04 | Apr 15, 2016 |

Deaver, Jefferyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Massaron S.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Massaron, StefanoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The present in New York is so powerful that the past is lost. - John Jay Chapman
For my family, Dee, Danny, Julie, Ethel, and Nelson...Apples don't fall far. And for Diana too.
She wanted only to sleep.

Lincoln Rhyme was once one of the nation's most brilliant criminologists, a genius in the field of forensics. Now an accident has left his physically crippled and emotionally stunted. But he's about to be dragged into the most explosive case of his already distinguished career. A diabolical killer known as the Bone Collector has been stalking unsuspecting prey on the streets of New York, and it will take all of Rhyme's investigative skills to stop him.

With beautiful police detective Amelia Sachs at his side, Rhyme must uncover a labyrinth of clues to prevent the next grisly crime. But a race against the clock becomes a terrifying battle of wits as Rhyme is drawn, step by chilling step, into the mind of a monstrous madman who won't stop until he has stripped life down to raw bone...

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451188454, Mass Market Paperback)

The hero of Jeffery Deaver's thriller The Bone Collector is Lincoln Rhyme, a forensic scientist known to his peers as "the world's foremost criminalist." Rhyme will need all his reason--and his considerable stock of high-tech tools--about him to solve this latest brain-twister: a serial killer with method to his madness. In tried and true thriller fashion, the killer's crimes are described in lurid detail, as is the astounding technological equipment with which Rhyme examines the evidence--everything from an energy-dispersive x-ray unit to a mass spectrometer.

Every fictional detective has his or her gimmick, from Sherlock Holmes's violin to Nero Wolf's orchids, and Rhyme is no exception. He is a quadriplegic who can move nothing but a single finger. Gadget-philes will be in seventh heaven reading about Lincoln Rhyme's tools; other readers might feel the book could do with a few more plausible characters and a little less technology.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:17 -0400)

Once the nation's foremost criminologist and the ex-head of NYPD forensics, quadriplegic Lincoln Rhyme abandons his forced retirement and joins forces with rookie cop Amelia Sachs to track down a vicious serial killer. A paralyzed New York detective is talked out of committing suicide to hunt for a cab driver who tortures and kills. The detective, Lincoln Rhyme, can only move his head so he is paired with police beauty Amelia Sachs. Together they go after the killer who tantalizes police with clues to his next murder. By the author of A Maiden's Grave.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,759,202 books! | Top bar: Always visible