The Bone Collector (A Lincoln Rhyme Novel)…

The Bone Collector (A Lincoln Rhyme Novel) (original 1997; edition 1998)

by Jeffery Deaver

Title:The Bone Collector (A Lincoln Rhyme Novel)
Authors:Jeffery Deaver
Info:Signet (1998), Mass Market Paperback, 528 Seiten

The Bone Collector (A Lincoln Rhyme Novel) by Jeffery Deaver (1997)

I totally forgot how much this book delves into some New York history. This second time around reading it, I learned a lot about the composition and variations of dirt and about certain nieghborhoods of NYC, and a little more about Lincoln Rhyme. I didn't think he was as fleshed out as I remembered, but then I have the hindsight of learning more about his character through out all the other volumes about him. I had forgotten that Dellray started out as a sort-of unlikeable FBI agent who becomes a more developed character throughout the series. Overall it's a solid storyline with lots of interesting tidbits about forensic investigation, and I am just about to dive into my next Deaver re-read. ( )
  cjazzlee | Nov 13, 2015 |
I have had this book since 2003 and have not even looked at it twice until recently. I wish I would have picked it up sooner! I thoroughly enjoyed this book and would definitely read more by Jeffery Deaver (author). A quadriplegic former detective? As a main character? Wow! Definitely worth the read! I have not seen the movie and I might keep it that way. Most books are way better than movies most of the time.
  ladyofunicorns | Oct 5, 2015 |
It seems too contrived to work: a serial-killer suspense novel that features a quadriplegic suicidal criminologist and a beautiful policewoman who somehow becomes his eyes and ears in the field. But it does work. Lincoln Rhyme, former head of NYPD forensics and a groundbreaking criminologist, and Amelia Sachs, in her own way as broken as Rhyme, are two compelling characters who warily forge a working relationship. This is a fast-moving (I think the main action takes place in less than two days), tautly intelligent story that compares well with "The Silence of the Lambs", except that the killer here is nowhere near as memorable as Hannibal Lechter. I saw and liked the movie several years ago, featuring Denzel Washington and Angelina Jolie. It's a pleasant sign of our times that, to my knowledge, Lincoln Rhyme's race is not specified in the book, and the producers of the movie chose a black man to play him. ( )
  burnit99 | Aug 21, 2015 |
I have owned this book since 2012 and never cracked it open. Since reading Memory Man, I felt like reading another hard-boiled police procedural and chose this. I am now in the process of reading The Coffin Dancer and am contemplating buying the entire series. The Bone Collector was just that good!

If you like or have an interest in a lot of technical information walking crime scenes, forensic science, the early history of New York City or even just a really good mystery, then I really think you will like this book. Throw in a burgeoning relationship (maybe), throw out your notion of Denzel Washington as Lincoln Rhyme and dive in. I wonder just how many readers figured out who was doing it...I sure was thrown for a loop and I sure do love that fact. I hate reading a book, thinking I knew who did it and find that I am right. I love to be surprised and this book did it for me. It sure had my heart pounding towards the end.

The first half or more I really disliked the protagonists Lincoln and Amelia, however I understood them which allowed me to keep reading without too much prodding, the last half brings in another character I didn't like very much. I soon came to understand him too and I wonder if we will see more of The Chameleon in further books?

It may be cliché of trite of me to say, but this was a heck of a page turner that kept me from my sleep and kept me at the edge of my chair, biting my nails down to the quick while turning pagers as quickly as I could! LOL!

* If you do not want to read about euthanasia or about anyone contemplating euthanasia-then take a pass on this book. ( )
  Cats57 | Apr 26, 2015 |
When I started reading this book, I was bored out of my mind. It was slow and totally awful. I only read up till page thirty because it was so boring. I just gave up because it almost put me to sleep. It just made me lose interest in the moment I read the first page. I understand that I should probably give the book a better chance but I honestly don't want to! I honestly don't ever want to touch this book again! On a boring scale, (one being not boring at all and ten being it put me to sleep.) I would rate it over 9000! I'm sorry but I am just not into slow books.
  sata14 | Jan 11, 2015 |

Deaver, Jefferyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Massaron S.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Massaron, StefanoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The present in New York is so powerful that the past is lost. - John Jay Chapman
For my family, Dee, Danny, Julie, Ethel, and Nelson...Apples don't fall far. And for Diana too.
She wanted only to sleep.

Lincoln Rhyme was once one of the nation's most brilliant criminologists, a genius in the field of forensics. Now an accident has left his physically crippled and emotionally stunted. But he's about to be dragged into the most explosive case of his already distinguished career. A diabolical killer known as the Bone Collector has been stalking unsuspecting prey on the streets of New York, and it will take all of Rhyme's investigative skills to stop him.

With beautiful police detective Amelia Sachs at his side, Rhyme must uncover a labyrinth of clues to prevent the next grisly crime. But a race against the clock becomes a terrifying battle of wits as Rhyme is drawn, step by chilling step, into the mind of a monstrous madman who won't stop until he has stripped life down to raw bone...

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451188454, Mass Market Paperback)

The hero of Jeffery Deaver's thriller The Bone Collector is Lincoln Rhyme, a forensic scientist known to his peers as "the world's foremost criminalist." Rhyme will need all his reason--and his considerable stock of high-tech tools--about him to solve this latest brain-twister: a serial killer with method to his madness. In tried and true thriller fashion, the killer's crimes are described in lurid detail, as is the astounding technological equipment with which Rhyme examines the evidence--everything from an energy-dispersive x-ray unit to a mass spectrometer.

Every fictional detective has his or her gimmick, from Sherlock Holmes's violin to Nero Wolf's orchids, and Rhyme is no exception. He is a quadriplegic who can move nothing but a single finger. Gadget-philes will be in seventh heaven reading about Lincoln Rhyme's tools; other readers might feel the book could do with a few more plausible characters and a little less technology.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:17 -0400)

Once the nation's foremost criminologist and the ex-head of NYPD forensics, quadriplegic Lincoln Rhyme abandons his forced retirement and joins forces with rookie cop Amelia Sachs to track down a vicious serial killer. A paralyzed New York detective is talked out of committing suicide to hunt for a cab driver who tortures and kills. The detective, Lincoln Rhyme, can only move his head so he is paired with police beauty Amelia Sachs. Together they go after the killer who tantalizes police with clues to his next murder. By the author of A Maiden's Grave.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,956,544 books! | Top bar: Always visible