Pragmatism, A New Name for Some Old Ways of…

Pragmatism, A New Name for Some Old Ways of Thinking: Popular Lectures on… (1907)

by William James

820511,078 (3.67)3

bought 2/21/2014. Is from lectures delivered at Harvard--long sentences, hard to get the point. ( )
  ShadowBarbara | Jan 27, 2017 |
The is a collection of eight lectures that James gave at a university on pragmatism, a school of philosophy that accepts the validity of an idea based on its practical uses and applications for humanity. I picked out a handful of interesting ideas from this collection, but I struggled with it overall. I’m not sure if I just wasn’t in the right frame of mind for something this serious right now or if it was just too dense for me in general, although I suspect it was some of both. ( )
  AmandaL. | Jan 16, 2016 |
James is too happy for my tastes. ( )
  KidSisyphus | Apr 5, 2013 |
It's easy to see how this would be so readily adopted by Dewey and other reformers, since Truth is really just a conveyance to an end. I'm not quite as critical as that might seem. James is convincing in his argument that the other philosophers rely too much on abstraction and logic, when much of that rationality becomes too unwieldy for use. ( )
  jpsnow | Dec 4, 2011 |
Pragmatism is an okay philosophy. When espoused by Pierce. Not so much by James. ( )
  bluedream |
To the Memory of John Stuart Mill

from whom I first learned the pragmatic openness of mind and whom my
fancy likes to picture as our leader were he alive to-day.
To the memory of...John Stuart Mill, from whom I first learned the pragmatic openness of mind and whom my fancy likes to picture as our leader were he alive to-day.
The lectures that follow were delivered at the Lowell Institute in
Boston in November and December, 1906, and in January, 1907, at
Columbia University, in New York. They are printed as delivered,
without developments or notes. The pragmatic movement, so-called--I
do not like the name, but apparently it is too late to change it--
seems to have rather suddenly precipitated itself out of the air.
The lectures that follow were delivered at the Lowell Institute in Boston in November and December, 1906, and in January, 1907, at Columbia University, in New York. (Preface)
In the preface to that admirable collection of essays of his called 'Heretics,' Mr. Chesterton writes these words: "There are some people—and I am one of them—who think that the most practical and important thing about a man is still his view of the universe."

Noted psychologist and philosopher develops his own brand of pragmatism, based on theories of C. S. Peirce. Emphasis on "radical empiricism," versus the transcendental and rationalist tradition. One of the most important books in American philosophy. Note.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:23 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,187,425 books! | Top bar: Always visible