The Ultimate Cheapskate's Road Map to True…

The Ultimate Cheapskate's Road Map to True Riches: A Practical (and Fun)…

by Jeff Yeager

Preaching to the choir. some nice encouragement though I guess. ( )
  KingdomOfOdd | Dec 9, 2013 |
Although this book gets goofy and self-congratulatory sometimes, the information is often useful. I particularly like his attitude of living below his means in spite of pressure from this society to buy, buy, buy. I re-evaluated my own spending behavior and said "No!" to myself on several occasions. I got this book from the library, and it is well-worn and falling apart, so well used. Worth a read for anyone interested in living a more simple and frugal lifestyle. ( )
  brickhorse | Jan 23, 2013 |
Good book with some helpful advice, but kind of goes off the deep end in a few places. Overall, fairly practical. Presents the thought that sometimes the way to riches involves working and earning less and enjoying life more. ( )
  chsbellboy | Feb 9, 2011 |
I'm fine with the fact that most of this book was common sense. That's the only kind of personal finance book I'm going to trust anyway. The fact that everyone knows how they *should* spend/save/eat/etc doesn't magically make it happen and regular reminders and reinforcements are very useful.

What made the book almost unendurable for me (but I did finish it) was the cheesy sense of humor, especially when it crossed over into repeated requests for sexy photos from female readers and regular slams of Suze Orman. Not even her advice -- just her appearance. I've never watched her shows or whatever, but that's just inappropriate on general principle. Several principles, really.

I also get plenty of Stan Lee's style from Stan Lee himself, but that's just tiring, not offensive. Also charming - Every chapter begins with a handful of 'clever' quotes and at least one in each batch is from the author.

There were some valid points mixed into all that. Thinking in terms of choices rather than sacrifices. Settling for less beats being unsettled. Fiscal fasting and 'What was I thinking?' audits. References to Dominguez and Robin. And a really tasty sounding pasta and sausage dish.

I disagree that small savings (like the popular Starbucks ban) are useless. It all depends on what you do with the funds instead, and some people really can accumulate them for a useful purpose. Staying in the first house that you buy makes all kinds of fiscal and psychological sense if you can do it (I particularly liked the part about being able to decorate for yourself rather than for the market) but many of us have careers that require regular relocation. Not to mention aging parents, etc. I do agree that giving up a car is easier than people realize because I don't have one myself; and that's in an area with no public transportation. Asking to telecommute in lieu of a raise, however, is very creative thinking but unlikely to work out for most readers.

Unavoidable with his nonprofit background, but the advice to regularly read books about people who are truly suffering to help keep perspective isn't going to be attempted by many readers. It's not even particularly relevant. He's also a terrible travel snob. ( )
1 vote kristenn | Aug 13, 2010 |
An amusing and practical guide to living within and even below your means. Too bad I didn't have this 30 some years ago. ( )
  eliorajoy | Sep 7, 2009 |

It used to be that “stuff” made you cool. That is so twentieth century. Jeff Yeager, the man dubbed The Ultimate Cheapskate by Matt Lauer on Today, offers a completely fresh take on personal finance, teaching us how to enjoy life more by spending less. He will show you how to buy less stuff, retire young, and live financially free, while you make a positive difference in people’s lives and save the planet along the way. The Ultimate Cheapskate’s Road Map to True Riches lays out the practices and principles that have made cheap the new cool.

Live within your means at thirty and stay there. The Ultimate Cheapskate was living well on what he earned at thirty, so when he made more money, he saved every penny. Now he is “selfishly” employed, doing work he loves and helping others.

Do for yourself what you could have others do for you. Cheapskates are die-hard do-it-yourselfers. It’s all about having the right tools, and The Ultimate Cheapskate will get you started.

Pinch the dollars and the pennies will pinch themselves. It’s not the $3 cup of coffee; it’s the big-ticket decisions that determine whether you’ll be financially free. So buy a house, not a castle.

The Ultimate Cheapskate’s Road Map to True Riches promises a quality of life you cannot buy, a sense of satisfaction you cannot fake, and an appreciation for others and for the planet that gives life value. Open your road map and prepare to discover the true joys of financial freedom.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:39:54 -0400)

A guide to the art of simple living presents a series of realistic and effective ways to economize, live well, and embrace life's true joys.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,328,636 books! | Top bar: Always visible