In wankel evenwicht by Elizabeth George

In wankel evenwicht (original 2008; edition 2010)

by Elizabeth George

Member:inezz
Title:In wankel evenwicht
Authors:Elizabeth George
Info:A.W. Bruna uitgevers
Rating:***1/2
Tags:literaire thriller

Careless in Red by Elizabeth George (2008)

2008 (17) audiobook (9) Barbara Havers (15) British (21) British mystery (12) Cornwall (57) crime (59) crime fiction (46) detective (39) England (59) English (9) fiction (136) George (9) Havers (10) Inspector Lynley (72) Lynley (50) murder (28) murder mystery (9) mystery (263) novel (19) police (12) police procedural (15) read (14) read in 2008 (15) Scotland Yard (13) series (25) surfing (23) suspense (10) thriller (24) to-read (20)

English (63)  French (2)  Dutch (2)  German (2)  All languages (69)
I enjoyed this book. I liked the characters and the setting. I felt like I had missed something from an earlier book though. Inspector Linley is wandering like a homeless person after the traumatic loss of his wife. The situation is alluded to, but never completely explained. I think a previous book may have told the whole story. Elizabeth George does a wonerful job creating very real characters. I really wanted to hear his full story. ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
Not bad, but...depressing. A lot of sad, sad people. ( )
  duende | Feb 6, 2014 |
This book mixes Cornwall, Surfing a murder and travellers, which don't seem to mix. But it works in this novel. The conclusion won't be too much of a surprise to those who read the book carefully. ( )
  charlie68 | Nov 23, 2013 |
I am not very happy with this book. The main reason is that not much happens in this book. A bit talking of the police with several characters, that does not deliver much, lots of descriptions of the lives of all the characters, especially of those who have little to do with the crime. And almost everything that happens, happens in one small village where everybody seems to go to bed with everybody. Another point in which I am disappointed is that there are so many characters and so many sidelines, most of which could have been missed. And then there is the murder, that is in fact is not really solved. And finally we have Lynley who hardly does anything at all. So, I am disappointed in several ways and do not want to give this book more than 2 stars. I had expected so much more. ( )
  ReneH | Sep 26, 2013 |
I was initially excited by this Lynley novel, because the dead body is actually discovered in the prologue-- and even discovered by our detective, so unlike many of the latter novels, we don't have to wait hundreds of pages for the detective to get to the detecting. George, however, proves she can slow down a plot regardless of how quickly it starts; a couple hundred pages later, and it just feels like we're watching unpleasant people talk to other unpleasant people, and not unraveling a mystery. Eventually someone solves the crime, I guess. Havers is in this one a little, which is always nice.
  Stevil2001 | Sep 7, 2013 |

Elizabeth Georgeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Blankestijn, MargaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kramer, Gert-JanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
If thou art indeed my father,
then thou hast stained the sword
in the lifeblood of thy son.
And thou didst it of thine own obstinacy.
For I sought to turn thee into love...

From the Shahnama
To the memory of Stephen Lawrence and 22 April 1993, when he was murdered in Eltham, southeast London, by five men who have gone unpunished by the British judicial system to this day.
He found the body on the forty-third day of his walk.
Als gíj inderdaad mijn vader bent.
Dan hebt gij uw zwaard bezoedeld
met het levensbloed van uw zoon.
En dat deed gij vanwege uw eigen halsstarrigheid
Want ik wilde u tot liefde brengen...
- uit de Shahnamah

In her most eagerly anticipated novel yet, Elizabeth George brings back Scotland Yard's Thomas Lynley to investigate a ruthless crime.

After the senseless murder of his wife, Detective Superintendent Thomas Lynley retreated to Cornwall, where he has spent six solitary weeks hiking the bleak and rugged coastline. But no matter how far he walks, no matter how exhausting his days, the painful memories of Helen's death do not diminish.

On the forty-third day of his walk, at the base of a cliff, Lynley discovers the body of a young man who appears to have fallen to his death. The closest town, better known for its tourists and its surfing than its intrigue, seems an unlikely place for murder. However, it soon becomes apparent that a clever killer is indeed at work, and this time Lynley is not a detective but a witness and possibly a suspect.

The head of the vastly understaffed local police department needs Lynley's help, though, especially when it comes to the mysterious, secretive woman whose cottage lies not far from where the body was discovered. But can Lynley let go of the past long enough to solve a most devious and carefully planned crime?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:37:56 -0400)

Scotland Yard's Thomas Lynley discovers the body of a young man who appears to have fallen to his death. The closest town, better known for its tourists and its surfing than its intrigue, seems an unlikely place for murder. However, it soon becomes apparent that a clever killer is indeed at work, and this time Lynley is not a detective but a witness and possibly a suspect.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,490,920 books! | Top bar: Always visible