The last of the Mohicans by James Fenimore…

The last of the Mohicans (original 1826; edition 1984)

by James Fenimore Cooper

Member:ifjuly
Title:The last of the Mohicans
Authors:James Fenimore Cooper
Info:Pleasantville, N.Y.: Reader's Digest Association, c1984.
Tags:children's literature

The Last of the Mohicans by James Fenimore Cooper (1826)

English (67)  Spanish (2)  All languages (69)
Last of the Mohicans James Fennimore Cooper
★★★

Set in 1757 during the time the English and French battled over control of the American and Canadian territories the story is based loosely upon the real life slaughter of the English by the Huron Indians at Fort Henry William and includes characters based on real people.

The story centers around Alice and Cora Munro the daughters of an English general and their journey accross the savage and war torn landscape of frontier America.

After a slow start this is an action packed adventure which builds the tension all the way to the dramatic conclusion.

Believed to be the book that inspired the genre of the Western this deserves its place on the list.

BookWormM | Jan 15, 2016 |
I found this fast-paced and action-packed and enjoyed reading it. It was a re-read for me and I think I appreciated it more the second time around. Set around the Anglo-French wars in the colonies, this tells the story of the Munroe sisters and the adventures that befall them as they are kidnapped by Hurons. Bent on their rescue are Hawkeye, a woodsman of English descent, Heyward, a major in the English army and the last two Mohicans. While it is a rescue story, it deals with relationships among English, French and Native American tribes and details the landscape. Cooper was compared to Walter Scott and was inspirational for the Western genre. So yes, this deserves a place on the list. ( )
  sashinka | Jan 14, 2016 |
Book on CD performed by William Costello
3.5***

The second (and most popular) of the Leatherstocking Tales is set in 1757, during the French and Indian wars. It’s an adventure novel and romance, featuring Hawkeye (a/k/a Leatherstocking, Natty Bumpo or the Scout), a white man who has adopted Indian ways. His “brothers” are the Mohicans: Chingachgook and Uncas. They weave through the lush landscape of upper New York, fighting to save Cora and Alice Munro, the beautiful daughters of a fort commander, from a treacherous Huron renegade, Magua.

I’m sure this was assigned reading in high school, and am equally sure that I relied on the Cliff’s notes to get through the exam and didn’t actually read this classic American novel. As an adult I can appreciate the prose and the style of 18th-century writing, but it still frustrates me. For the modern-day reader Cooper includes way too much verbiage to get to the point.

But if the reader can persist, s/he will find a tension-filled adventure – the chases through the wilderness, and major fights/battles are very suspenseful in places. And there is a significant message about the clash of civilizations as the Europeans fought over territory while ignoring the rights, wishes, livelihoods of the indigenous population. Cooper’s historical romance gave us many of the elements so common in frontier fiction: a loner hero, “noble savage” trusted companion, lovely heroines in danger, and a plot full of chases and epic battles. Looked at it that way, I am reminded of Larry McMurtry’s Lonesome Dove.

What surprised me most on this reading was Cora’s character. Her strength, intelligence, courage and willingness to sacrifice herself made her a much more complex character than the typical “helpless maiden in distress.”

William Costello does a fairly good job of reading the audio version, though his slow pace at the beginning made me reconsider whether I wanted to keep listening. I think, however, it was more due to Cooper’s style of writing, than to Costello’s skill as a performer.

I do have to admit, that the glorious cinematography and music score of the 1992 film, starring Daniel Day Lewis as Hawkeye, kept running through my mind as I read/listened. While that film has significant departures in plot from Cooper’s novel, it did make me think that I should probably actually read the book, so when our local university book discussion group announced this book in the lineup for fall, I immediately RSVP’d. I’m glad I finally read it, and am looking forward to the discussion.

BookConcierge | Jan 13, 2016 |
Good book... I felt like there was so much missing though... but I was glad I read it. ( )
  CrystalW | Dec 15, 2015 |
  CrystalW | Dec 15, 2015 |
… The book was first published in 1826, and conveys the prejudices of the time. This is primarily an adventure story written from a European viewpoint. The "dusky, savage" Huron kidnappers are the villains, and the Mohicans are stereotypically romanticized as courageous and stoic. However, even complimentary comments sometimes indicate underlying prejudice as when… scout Hawkeye observes to Chingachgook, "You are a just man for an Indian." The term "squaw" is used several times.

James Fenimore Cooperprimary authorall editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Has as a study

Has as a student's study guide

It was a feature peculiar to the colonial wars of North America, that the tolls and dangers of the wilderness were to be encountered before the adverse hosts could meet.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553213296, Mass Market Paperback)

The wild rush of action in this classic frontier adventure story has made The Last of the Mohicans the most popular of James Fenimore Cooper’s Leatherstocking Tales. Deep in the forests of upper New York State, the brave woodsman Hawkeye (Natty Bumppo) and his loyal Mohican friends Chingachgook and Uncas become embroiled in the bloody battles of the French and Indian War. The abduction of the beautiful Munro sisters by hostile savages, the treachery of the renegade brave Magua, the ambush of innocent settlers, and the thrilling events that lead to the final tragic confrontation between rival war parties create an unforgettable, spine-tingling picture of life on the frontier. And as the idyllic wilderness gives way to the forces of civilization, the novel presents a moving portrayal of a vanishing race and the end of its way of life in the great American forests.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:49 -0400)

A Mohican brave struggles to protect two English girls from an evil Huron during the French and Indian War in upstate New York.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400102073, 1400110807

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,190,925 books! | Top bar: Always visible