The Last of the Mohicans by James Fenimore…

The Last of the Mohicans (original 1826; edition 1932)

by James Fenimore Cooper, Edward Everett Hale (Introduction), Edward A. Wilson (Illustrator)

Member:varielle
Title:The Last of the Mohicans
Authors:James Fenimore Cooper
Other authors:Edward Everett Hale (Introduction), Edward A. Wilson (Illustrator)
Info:Heritage Press (1932), Hardcover
Rating:***
Tags:American Literature, Adventure, Native Americans

The Last of the Mohicans by James Fenimore Cooper (1826)

English (72)  Spanish (2)  All languages (74)
A fantastic tale of an adopted white warrior who runs with his brother and father helping a British General's Daughters from going "under the knife" of a vengeful Indian war party chief. This story has it all including a passionate dual love story throughout and great action. This is one of my favorite books. ( )
  Mister-T | Apr 17, 2016 |
My daughter recommended The Last of the Mohicans because James Fenimore Cooper wrote about the Lenni-Lenape Native Americans who are also included in a novel I've written. I found the comparison interesting, but I wrote about their day to day lives at the beginning of the seventeenth century whereas Cooper wrote about their warfare in the eighteenth century, more than a hundred years later. During those years the Lenni-Lenape changed from people who had rarely met Europeans to people who were fighting for their homes and their lives. The Lenni-Lenape were friends of the English, but all the Native Americans were portrayed as warriors. It stated in the book's introduction that “In these pages, Lenni-Lenape, Lenope, Delawares, Wapanachki, and Mohicans, all mean the same people, or tribes of the same stock.”

At times I felt I had to translate Cooper's complex writing before I could understand its meaning. Here is an example:

Duncan thrust forth a foot, and the shock precipitated the eager savage headlong, many feet in advance of his intended victim. Thought itself is not quicker than was the motion with which the latter profited by the advantage; he turned, gleamed like a meteor again before the eyes of Duncan, and, at the next moment, when the latter recovered his recollection, and gazed around in quest of the captive, he saw him quietly leaning against a small painted post, which stood before the door of the principal lodge.

I thought his style might have been due to the time when he was writing, so I looked back at some of his contemporaries to see if I had similar issues with other work from that era. I didn't. Edgar Allen Poe didn't have that same problem in The Fall of the House of Usher nor did Herman Melville in Moby Dick, even though that book is also a slow read. Other Cooper contemporaries include Louisa May Alcott and Mark Twain who wrote very clear text. Cooper was not favorably received by the critics at the time he was writing and I can understand why.

Racism is another issue with The Last of the Mohicans, something my daughter mentioned when she suggested I read the book. Here is an example of this problem:

Nothing but the color of his skin had saved the lives of Magua and the conjurer, who would have been the first victims sacrificed to his own security, had not the scout believed such an act, however congenial it might be to the nature of an Indian, utterly unworthy of one who boasted a decent from men that knew no cross of blood.

This, however, is more a product of the time when Cooper was writing and of his characters' beliefs rather than his own philosophy. In fact, in one section Colonel Munro believes that Duncan prefers his younger daughter, Alice, over his older, Cora, because Cora's mother was a mixed race woman. Cooper uses this scene to condemn racism.

The strengths of the novel are in its exciting plot and how much Cooper's work can teach us about life in early America.

Steve Lindahl – author of Motherless Soul and White Horse Regressions ( )
  SteveLindahl | Apr 11, 2016 |
Watch the movie! For once, I think the film versions (none of which are completely true to the book) are better than the original novel. Cooper has written an exciting adventure story in such a way that it is a struggle to read. It is tempting to blame that on the early date it was written (1826) except that Jane Austen wrote even earlier and in a much easier style!

This audiobook edition also has some problems. This digital audiobook from Recorded Books has chapter markers but they bear no relation to the chapters in the text! I suspect that they represent the sides of cassette tapes -- but at least there wasn't any "This is the end of..." bits. The narrator was okay. Unfortunately, his voice, instead of compelling my attention, caused my mind to wander. For some sections, I had to resort to reading my Kindle edition after repeated attempts to listen left me unable to comprehend what was happening. ( )
  leslie.98 | Apr 6, 2016 |
read the book first, then watched the film (1992) starring Daniel Day-Lewis, Wes Studi, Russell Means, Eric Schweig, Madeleine Stowe - funny side note ... there is a character called Alice Munro =) sister of Cora Munro - book is quite different from the movie, so glad it was read first !
  frahealee | Apr 3, 2016 |
I just couldn't get into this one. It's been on my bed stand for a few weeks now and it's not pulling me in. I got only about 25 pages in and I usually give it 40, but I just couldn't go on. ( )
  MahanaU | Feb 26, 2016 |
… The book was first published in 1826, and conveys the prejudices of the time. This is primarily an adventure story written from a European viewpoint. The "dusky, savage" Huron kidnappers are the villains, and the Mohicans are stereotypically romanticized as courageous and stoic. However, even complimentary comments sometimes indicate underlying prejudice as when… scout Hawkeye observes to Chingachgook, "You are a just man for an Indian." The term "squaw" is used several times.

James Fenimore Cooperprimary authorall editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Has as a study

Has as a student's study guide

Has as a teacher's guide

It was a feature peculiar to the colonial wars of North America, that the tolls and dangers of the wilderness were to be encountered before the adverse hosts could meet.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553213296, Mass Market Paperback)

The wild rush of action in this classic frontier adventure story has made The Last of the Mohicans the most popular of James Fenimore Cooper’s Leatherstocking Tales. Deep in the forests of upper New York State, the brave woodsman Hawkeye (Natty Bumppo) and his loyal Mohican friends Chingachgook and Uncas become embroiled in the bloody battles of the French and Indian War. The abduction of the beautiful Munro sisters by hostile savages, the treachery of the renegade brave Magua, the ambush of innocent settlers, and the thrilling events that lead to the final tragic confrontation between rival war parties create an unforgettable, spine-tingling picture of life on the frontier. And as the idyllic wilderness gives way to the forces of civilization, the novel presents a moving portrayal of a vanishing race and the end of its way of life in the great American forests.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:49 -0400)

A Mohican brave struggles to protect two English girls from an evil Huron during the French and Indian War in upstate New York.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400102073, 1400110807

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,264,012 books! | Top bar: Always visible