The Book of Common Prayer [1662] by Church…

The Book of Common Prayer [1662] (1662)

by Church of England

From an interview with Terry Waite, British hostage negotiator in Beirut who was himself held hostage 1987-1991, talking about how he kept himself sane in captivity:

“...I’d been brought up as an Anglican...and had been brought up with the Book of Common Prayer. The language of that was very, very helpful. I had unconsciously memorised it as a choir boy. If I can just give you an example of what I mean from one of the great old collects of the prayer book:

“Lighten our darkness, we beseech thee, O Lord; and by thy great mercy defend us from all perils and dangers of this night...

“That is very, very meaningful when you’re sitting in darkness. That collect not only has meaning but it also has poetry and rhythm. There is a relationship between identity, language and prayer; somehow they help you hold together at your centre.

“Some people may find this strange, but I never engaged in what is called extemporary prayer during that time. I felt that if I did I would begin to, sort of, go down down a one-way track, reveal my own psychological vulnerability and just get into the business of saying, ‘Oh God, get me out of here’—which isn’t prayer at all. That’s just like being a child. So by falling back on that which I knew, the Prayer Book and the balance of that, I was able to keep a bit more balance in my mind and also maintain some degree of inner balance.”

(Sheridan Voysey, Open House pp 7–8)
2 vote Iacobus | Jan 27, 2009 |
Cover title: Common Prayer
  fredheid | Mar 6, 2006 |
This edition is a reprint of the 1662 version, with appendices taken from the 1549 copy, in order to proclaim the value of this work once more and to recognise it for what it is - a liturgical and literary masterpiece. What a loss to the Church and to culture that the Church of England overthrew centuries of tradition in favour of a less resonant and dumbed down liturgy in the 1970's. Shame!
1 vote antimuzak | Oct 18, 2005 |
This work consists of the 1662 Book of Common Prayer only. Subsequent alternative prayer books, including the CofE's 1928 proposed revision, are combined as separate works. The various revisions of The Book of Common Prayer of the US Episcopal Church are likewise combined as separate works.

This work includes the Folio Society edition (no ISBN) which is a facsimile of an 1853 edtion.

A finely made edition of one of Western civilization's most enduring works--the essential prayerbook for millions of Christians--graced by 185 color medieval illuminations gathered from museums and libraries throughout the world. This edition, in stunning literary English, goes back to the first modern version. Sewn full-cloth binding with colored endpapers and a silk ribbon marker.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:55:16 -0400)

3 free

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,282,237 books! | Top bar: Always visible