A Revolution of the Sun by Tim Pears

A Revolution of the Sun (original 2000; edition 2011)

by Tim Pears

551214,390 (3)1
Member:jayne_charles
Title:A Revolution of the Sun
Authors:Tim Pears
Info:Windmill (2011), Paperback, 512 pages
Tags:UK, fiction, 1997, London, Brixton, Oxford, Manchester, vivisection, amnesia, childbirth, death, poverty, cerebral palsy, relationships, humour, burglary, cancer, astronomy, drugs, wrestling

A Revolution of the Sun by Tim Pears (2000)

What a broad reach this book had, such a variety of topics and diversity of characters. Any one of them could have occupied a novel of their own. How generous of the author to bundle them all together in one like this! From “shell suited fat man” Jack through Martha the professional burglar to Roderick the Tory MP (and if he wasn’t meant to be Michael Portillo I’m a Dutchman) they covered the whole social spectrum.

The style of writing reminded me of John Irving – the tendency to create oddball characters, to take the reader on long detours through their past that take as long as they take. To say nothing of the wrestling that takes place. Plot, for long stretches, takes a back seat.

It is clear from the novel’s start that the disparate characters, few of whom are acquainted at the story’s start, will all meet and join forces by its end. It feels unfeasible, so wondering how it will come about provides much of the interest here. I must say I found some of the connections forged between the characters far fetched, hard to swallow...the drug storyline baffling...the end scenario unfeasible. Yet it feels hard to offer any negative comment in the face of such immense authorly skill – the skill that had me spellbound for the first two or three hundred pages, made me laugh, taught me things I didn’t know. Probably I failed to spot some vast symbolic meaning, and the fault lies entirely with me. ( )
  jayne_charles | Nov 27, 2012 |

The breathtaking new novel from the great chronicler of our age.

A Revolution of the Sun tells the story of one momentous year through the eyes of the people who lived it. It begins at the stroke of midnight on the first day of 1997. As the year turns, a group of disparate individuals from different backgrounds, from all corners of the country, embark on separate journeys which will converge over the course of the next twelve months: Rebecca, mother-to-be; Sam, amnesiac; Roderick, conservative MP; Jack, truck driver; Martha, cat burglar; Ben, hemiplegic child; Solo, his father. At the end of the year, their lives are irrevocably changed, some for better, some for worse. Ambitious, powerful, irresistible, A Revolution of the Sun is the work of a writer at the peak of his powers.

From the Trade Paperback edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:57 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,909,842 books! | Top bar: Always visible