Red Riding Nineteen Seventy Seven: Red…

Red Riding Nineteen Seventy Seven: Red Riding Quartet (original 2000; edition 2008)

by David Peace

Member:dioxynucleic
Title:Red Riding Nineteen Seventy Seven: Red Riding Quartet
Authors:David Peace
Info:Serpent's Tail (2008), Paperback, 352 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:Crime

Nineteen Seventy-Seven by David Peace (2000)

English (9)  Finnish (1)  All languages (10)
Jack Whitehead is a seasoned journalist haunted by the spectre of a murdered woman. Bob Fraser is a cop married to the daughter of a legendary officer, with a bright future and a clean reputation. He is also involved in an obsessive relationship with a prostitute which may not be entirely consensual. In the flawed and dirty world of the villages and towns near Leeds, in Yorkshire, in Nineteen Seventy-Seven, they are the good guys. A violent sexual murderer, called the Yorkshire Ripper, is hunting down the prostitutes of the region, but there are questions about whether all the dead women were killed by the Ripper and about possible police involvement.

The second installment in David Peace's Red Riding Quartet is as violent and relentless as the first. This is Noir in its very darkest and bleakest incarnation. The Yorkshire of Peace's imagination is devoid of hope or even basic human decency, where Blacks and Gypsies are the targets of police brutality as a matter of course and where women are victimized with callous disregard. Whitehead and Fraser have reasons for pursuing their search for the killer, but they have their own demons to fight, which might just prove more formidable than the corrupt and venal system they operate within.

One needs a strong stomach to read this series, but they are compelling; the violence is graphic but it never feels gratuitous. After reading the first book in the series, Nineteen Seventy-Four, I rushed right out to get a copy of [Nineteen Seventy-Seven], which I then eyed distrustfully for several months before reading. I'll be doing the same with Nineteen Eighty. ( )
  RidgewayGirl | Aug 13, 2014 |
I'll put the same review on all four of them:
Nineteen Seventy-Four
Nineteen Seventy-Seven
Nineteen Eighty
Nineteen Eighty Three
I read them as a challenge - based on camaraderie with coworkers.
Once I started the series, didn't especially want to wimp out, and then was compelled to read thru to the last book to see if I could possibly figure out what the "ending" was.
I'm not faulting the author - it was a unique and compelling writing style and twisted plot with characters jumping back and forth between books.
I did it. I read them all. I think they got weirder and more difficult as they went along, but if you're looking for some intense, darkly challenging books - have at it.
Read in 2011. ( )
  CasaBooks | Apr 28, 2013 |
Brilliant novel set around the Yorkshire Ripper murders. Very dark, very bleak. Can't wait to read Nineteen Eighty, but at the same time would quite like to read something jolly and lighthearted... ( )
  Marie-Clare | Aug 15, 2011 |
The story within this book was narrated by Jack Whitehead, a more seasoned reporter working at the same paper as the reporter in the first book of the series. It is interspersed with narration by one of the police officers who was briefly introduced in the first book, Bob Fraser. The ripper murders are in full flow, with 1977 being the most prolific year for his killings. None of the characters were particularly likeable, but that didn't matter. The book was gripping and relentless in its descriptions of the violence and murders of 1977. ( )
  Fluffyblue | May 5, 2011 |
Nineteen Seventy-Four
Nineteen Seventy-Seven
Nineteen Eighty
Nineteen Eighty-Three

I was inspired to read this crime quartet by arubabookwoman's superb review below. In her summary, she wrote "These four novels are amazing. They are not, however, for everyone. There are obscenities on every page. Brutality and violence abound, sometimes graphically described. Everyone is corrupt. The novels are bleak, gritty, cynical and despairing. If this description doesn't bother you, I highly recommend these books. Read as one, they are a masterpiece."

There is little I can add to this, except to say that Peace's writing is exceptional. Even though it can often be difficult to know who is talking or thinking, the way Peace gets inside people's heads so that his writing replicates how they think is astounding and, indeed, often poetic, despite the obscenity and graphic violence. I couldn't put these books down, even as they horrified me.
1 vote rebeccanyc | Mar 31, 2011 |
Leeds. Sunday 29 May 1977. It's happening again: When the two sevens clash ...

David Peace's acclaimed Red Riding Quartet continues with this exhilarating follow-up to Nineteen Seventy-Four. It's summer in Leeds and the city is anxiously awaiting the Jubilee of Queen Elizabeth's reign. Detective Bob Fraser and Jack Whitehead, a reporter at the Post, however, have other things on their minds-mainly the fact that someone is murdering prostitutes. The killer is quickly dubbed the “Yorkshire Ripper” and each man, on their own, works tirelessly to catch him. But their investigations turn grisly as they each engage in affairs with the prostitutes they are supposedly protecting. As the summer progresses, the killings accelerate and it seems as if Fraser and Whitehead are the only men who suspect or care that there may be more than one killer at large.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:00:43 -0400)

"It's summer in Leeds and the city is anxiously awaiting the Jubilee of Queen Elizabeth's reign. Detective Bob Fraser and Jack Whitehead, a reporter at the Post, however, have other things on their minds--mainly the fact that someone is murdering prostitutes. The killer is quickly dubbed the "Yorkshire Ripper" and each man, on his own, works tirelessly to catch him. But their investigations turn grisly as they each engage in affairs with the women they are supposedly protecting. As the summer progresses, the killings accelerate and it seems as if Fraser and Whitehead are the only men who suspect, or care, that there may be more than one killer at large."--p.[4] of cover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,330,146 books! | Top bar: Always visible