The Stone Canal by Ken MacLeod

The Stone Canal (1996)

by Ken MacLeod

Series: Fall Revolution - timeline 1 (2)

Like others in this series, it alternates viewpoints between the existence of characters in a reasonably temporary time and politics and activism.

Then there's the posthuman future history, with a spaceship, a wormhole, and a Jovian civilisation of uploaded people.

The main character awakens here with little memory, and the rest of the story traces him remembering, finding out where his mind has been stored and other people he knew, and what is going on.

Also the friend who killed him.

Not enough time is spent I think on the more interesting future society, and too much on the mundane chatting up in pubs,

http://notfreesf.blogspot.com/2009/01/stone-canal-ken-macleod.html ( )
1 vote bluetyson | Jan 25, 2009 |
Sometimes I feel like Macleod is writing novels just for me to enjoy, since the number of references to things with which I am familiar and the way he can mix them all into one surprising melange is uncanny. I wish now I had not given my early edition of The Star Fraction away as I would love to re-read it now. More mixtures of politics and computing in Finsbury Park and Glasgow and elsewhere, this time with much of the action taking place far away and on a much bigger stage than in either The Sky Road or the Star Fraction. The plot is great, the characters you feel you know and the humour stops you taking any of it too deeply yet makes it serious at the same time. ( )
  kevinashley | Sep 21, 2008 |
This is the first MacLeod I've read, and I am not impressed. The main plot reads like a wish-fulfilment fantasy. Some selfish jackass sleeps with beautiful women in tight skirts, founds a working anarcho-capitalist society, becomes dictator, steers the course of WW3, single-handedly ensures the success of the human space program, colonizes an extra-solar planet, and saves all of humanity.

Characterizations are uniformly bad. Some of the people are parrots that echo the main character's sentiments so that monologues can seem like dialogues. The main antagonist flips between being a dastardly villain and a steadfast ally. Women are tokens, but then everyone other than the main character is a token. There's even a token non-anarchist utopia added in a late paragraph.

The plot's gravest sin is that it failed to surprise me. Recently read books by Iain Banks, Kage Baker, and Steven Erikson wowed the shit out of me. MacLeod's tome did not. It could be likened to a cross between Heinlein and Stephenson – and I do not care for either.

Not painful, but not recommended either. ( )
1 vote lpetrazickis | May 26, 2007 |

Ken MacLeodprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Moore, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
- we have the certainty that matter remains eternally the same in all its transformations, that none of its attributes can ever be lost, and therefore, also, that with the same iron necessity that it will exterminate on the earth its highest creation, the thinking mind, it must somewhere else and at another time again produce it.

Frederick Engels, Dialectics of Nature
To Sharon and Michael
He woke, and remembered dying.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0812568648, Paperback)

"So it's true what they say: information wants to be free!" But the information in question, in this case, is Dee Model, a sexy, butt-kicking, love-slave android who's just mysteriously become self-aware, eluded her owner, and filed for her own autonomy. And the person making the remark (ironic given that it's a centuries-old reference) is Ax Terminal, a "freelance professional eunuch and part-time catamite," a resident of New Mars, the wormhole-away-from-Jupiter free-market anarchy set up thanks to the fast-folk, an uploaded race of überhumans experiencing reality and evolving at ultrahigh speeds. Android Dee, as it turns out, may have been nudged toward freedom by Jon Wilde, her cloned body's former husband (they met at Glasgow University back in the '70s), who just recently came back from the dead (revived by himself, in robot form) to join in the struggle between robot abolitionists and the malicious boss man of New Mars, David Reid (Wilde's former rival and owner of the sex slave that happens to be a cloned copy of Wilde's former wife). Now this is what great science fiction is all about.

Action-packed, inventive, and satisfyingly weird, Ken MacLeod's Stone Canal (the retroactively U.S.-released prequel to The Cassini Division) lets loose with a steady stream of challenging ideas and novel technology, taking on questions of free will, identity, and the nature of consciousness, all the while telling a bang-up story. Reminiscent of K.W. Jeter's best work, The Stone Canal certainly deserves a look. --Paul Hughes

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:58:59 -0400)

Life on New Mars is threatened with the arrival of a clone of the man blamed for starting World War III.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,292,794 books! | Top bar: Always visible