Lady of Milkweed Manor by Julie Klassen

Lady of Milkweed Manor

by Julie Klassen

My feelings on this are mixed. For a first novel, it was decent, but I'm so glad I read a couple of her newer ones first. I don't think I would have sought out more of her books if this were the first one I'd read. I can't really put my finger on one particular thing---just a strange, all over the place story. The Lizette's last scene seemed contrived and very rushed, which caused it to lack the intensity that would normally accompany such a tragedy. The final "twist" at the end concerning Edmund's future was MESSED UP. No---totally not into that. However, the character of Charlotte definitely spoke from a true mother's heart and I found myself sobbing more than once. I'll be keeping this for my permanent collection. ( )
  lostinavalonOR | Jun 18, 2014 |
Author Cathy Lynn Bryant • 53 minutes ago I love every one of Julie Klassen's novels. Seeing as I have all of her books, I can say that with all sincerity. This one, set in 19th century England, captured my attention right away. We learn early on that Charlotte Lamb is facing a rather difficult challenge. As with all of her other books, if you decide to give it a try, you will not be disappointed. ( )
  CathyLynnBryant | Jul 23, 2013 |
I really don't know how to review this book. It is the author's first novel, and I think it shows. The plot went all over the place, so just when I thought I had it figured out, something else happened. Some things were rather cliché (mad wife in the attic, anyone?), improbable or unnecessary. The ending was too pat and perfect, with characters conveniently dying off at the perfect times.

Some characters didn't seem to be developed enough so they didn't behave very realistically. I am sorry to say there was a Girl Ahead of Her Time™ (10-year-girl who wears pants and has short hair; and the main character doesn't think anything of it).

The lying-in hospital/wet-nursing aspect of the book reminded me of Esther Waters by George Moore. If that kind of thing makes you feel uncomfortable you won't like this book.

Despite its problems, I did enjoy some aspects of this book.

Note: The main character, Charlotte, is expecting a child out of wedlock, and one of the flashback scenes is particularly inappropriate, although the author was trying to be tasteful.

Oh, one more thing: I think Edmund should have at least found out Charlotte was his mother after she died or something! How did it stay a secret anyway? Didn't Katherine and Beatrice suspect? ( )
  kathleen586 | Mar 30, 2013 |
This was a story that brought a wide span of different emotions from me. The story line for me had a slow start, but the more I read, the more the story grew on me and I found near the end of the book I didn't want to put the book down until I saw how it would end (and I don't want to spoil the ending for anyone, but trust me it is worth reading to the very last page!). I really wasn't sure what was going to happen to Charlotte Lamb, the main character in this story. She went through a great deal yet it didn't change the person she was. I also had to stop and search the end of the book to see if the author would validate some of the things folks did during the time period this was written, because some of it was hard to comprehend.

Charlotte Lamb was raised as a proper vicar's daughter, but when she makes a mistake one night with a man, she finds herself shunned by her family and forced to go into hiding in London's "Milkweed Manor", a place for unwed mothers. There she finds a doctor she once knew when she was young and he too has secrets he is hiding. Both of them are determined to protect the ones they love even if it means a huge sacrifice on their part. You will come to appreciate Charlotte and her strong yet gentle character. I found myself really not sure how the author was going to end this story and at one brief point felt my eyes tearing up, thinking how the ending was going to turn out. This was a good "drama" filled with details of what some women in Regency England endured at that time. A real eye-opener and it does have a very good romantic twist to it. I enjoyed reading this story and give high praise to the good job Julie Klassen did. ( )
  judyg54 | Nov 10, 2011 |
I could not put this book down. I got it because I really liked The Apothecary's Daughter, but I didn't really know what it was about until I started reading. I was immediately hooked, and stayed up late to finish the book on the same day I started reading it.

This book portrays Regency England in a different way than I am used to. Charlotte's family turned their backs on her because she was pregnant out of wedlock. She leaves home and takes refuge at a lying-in hospital for unwed mothers. The world portrayed at this hospital, the attached foundling ward, and the livelihood of wet nurses was intriguing. I was also fascinated by the information on the treatment of depression and neurosis during pregnancy during this time period (the treatment was, not surprisingly, very limited).

Even though this book is set in Regency England, the experiences and fears of the women in the book were easy to relate to. As a mother, I could identify with the fears of pregnancy, the emotions nursing a child brings, and the joys and fears of parenthood. Thankfully I have never experienced the more heartwrenching aspects of the story--the loneliness, the losses, the destitution, and the sacrifices.

This story was moving and kept me turning the page, wanting to know what would happen next. Would Charlotte get married? Would she be reunited with her son? Who would she marry? Would her family ever forgive her and accept her back? What would happen to her?

The faith aspect of the novel is very subtle. Charlotte's father is a vicar, but seems unable to get past her mistake and the social embarrassment and scandal it will bring to forgive her. The most visible reference to faith comes at the end, when Charlotte finds herself counting her blessings and thanking God for helping her transform her past pain and sacrifices into something beautiful.

This book was wonderful. Yet another book by Julie Klassen that will reside on my keeper shelf. ( )
  srfbluemama | Nov 15, 2009 |

Julie Klassenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Prebble, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the Milkweed

NONE call thee flower! I will not so malign

The satin softness of thy plumed seed,

Nor so profane thee as to call thee weed,

Thou tuft of ermine down,

Fit to entwine about a queen . . .

. . . Ah me! Could he who sings,

On such adventurous and aerial wings

Far over lands and undiscovered seas

Waft the dark seeds of his imaginings,

That, flowering, men might say, Lo! look on these

Wild Weeds of Song--not all ungracious things!

--Sonnets by Lloyd Mifflin
To my dear parents, whose unconditional love paved the way.
When I first knew her, I thought her an amusing scrap of girl, silly and a bit grubby from her mornings spent in the gardens.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0764204793, Paperback)

The engaging and moving story of a once proper lady who finds herself in a most unexpected situation; a romance set in Regency England.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:01 -0400)

When Charlotte Lamb, a fallen vicar's daughter, tries to hide away in London's grim Milkweed Manor, she is mortified to find herself in the care of a former suitor whom her father long ago rejected as unsuitable, but both are determined--with God's help--to protect those they love.… (more)

53 wanted4 pay2 pay

Bethany House

An edition of this book was published by Bethany House.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,182,047 books! | Top bar: Always visible