Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman

Anansi Boys (original 2005; edition 2006)

by Neil Gaiman

Member:soniaandree
Title:Anansi Boys
Authors:Neil Gaiman
Info:HarperTorch (2006), Mass Market Paperback, 416 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:novel

Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman (2005)

English (308)  German (2)  Finnish (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (315)
It is pretty remarkable that Neil Gaiman has written a book in which most of the main characters are black -- and nobody seems to notice!
  sonofcarc | Aug 28, 2014 |

The audiobook was an awesome performance. ( )
  lunule | Aug 22, 2014 |
Delightful, fun read. The more I read Neil Gaiman the more I want to read Neil Gaiman... ( )
  KRaySaulis | Aug 13, 2014 |
Once again, the book of Gaiman and Gods. I like the idea, and the way Gaiman wrote this is a superb. I like Spider so much so I think it's okay that Rosie ends up with him.. ( )
  ratuvictoria | Aug 5, 2014 |
I wish I'd picked up this book sooner instead of letting my prejudices prevents me from doing so. I consider myself a Gaiman fan, but I hadn't at all enjoyed American Gods, and though I'd been told this one was quite different, still dawdled. But truly, other than the god theme, the two book have nothing in common and ought not to be part of the same series. When "Fat Charlie" Nancy, finds out his father, who has been a source of deep shame and embarrassment all his life has passed away, he also finds out this same father was a god. Originally born in Florida but now long living in London, saddled with that name of "Fat Charlie" by his father, even though he is not actually fat because of the old man's gift for making names stick to people and animals, Charlie if forced to travel to Florida to his father's funeral, whereupon meeting some of his father's old friends he finds out these uncomfortable details about his past. It seems he was a Spider god who owned all the stories and had certain abilities to bend reality. Strong echoes of mythology and of Aesop's fables here, as tends to be Gaiman's speciality. He further learns that he has a brother who inherited all the godly gifts in the family and who disappeared from Charlie's life when he was a small child, called Spider, and all he needs do to have him come to him is ask a spider for him. Charlie has so far led a quiet life working for a talent management agency as an accountant and is engaged to soon be married to his lovely Rosie. But after speaking to a spider one drunken night, his world soon turns upside down. Spider shows up in London out of nowhere and takes over Charlie's life, impersonating him at him job and with Rosie and suddenly, Fat Charlie's life, which was only vaguely dissatisfying before is now a living hell. Spider has uncovered serious irregularities at the talent agency and confronted Fat Charlie's boss Grahame Coats with his findings, which involve the diversion of huge sums from the accounts of their semi-famous clients to offshore accounts. Pretty soon, Graham Coats is fighting back by pinning the financial irregularities on Charlie and leaving for an island hideaway under and assumed identity, but not before leaving a dead body behind. To add insult to injury, Spider has taken a liking to Rosie, and where the young woman has always insisted she would not indulge in sex before marriage, her resolve has melted for this new version of Charlie, who, thanks to his god status, can make people see what he wants them to see.

It all seems deeply unlikely told like that, but in Neil Gaiman's hands, this all somehow comes into the realm of possibility and the melding of fantasy, murder mystery and romance is an irresistible mix, especially when you throw in Gaiman's sharp writing skills and wittiness. I think what won me over best of all was this audio version read by Lenny Henry, who did a masterful job of interpreting all the different characters and switched between the various accents; Charlie's London accent, Spider's American and the soft Caribbean lilt as needed. I was often comparing this story to what I like best about the more recent Rivers of London series by Ben Aaronovitch, narrated on audio by Kobna Holdbrook-Smith. Both stories have realistic urban setting and nature Gods and both black narrators have huge talent and make the writing truly come alive. Highly recommended. ( )
  Smiler69 | Jul 23, 2014 |
Gaiman kutoo tapansa mukaan sujuvan ja houkuttelevan kertomuksen, joka ammentaa tarinoiden ja myyttien maailmasta. Sujuvan lukukokemuksen viimeistelee onnistunut suomennos.

Gaimaniin mieltyneille Hämähäkkijumala on puolipakollinen kirjahyllyn täyte ja kevytfantasiaa hakeville ihan yhtä hyvä tutustumiskirja kuin mikä tahansa varhaisempi romaani. Vaikka kirjan juoni ei juuri yllätäkään, Gaiman esittelee tarinankertojan lahjaansa: kykyä tehdä mahdottomasta todenmakuista.
added by msaari | editKeskisuomalainen, Riku Ylönen (Jan 30, 2009)

And Charlie, who has become a successful singer and fathered a son, has come to terms with the powers and responsibilities of ''a boy who was half a god," having learned what Gaiman knows better, and communicates more forcefully, than any other contemporary writer: Stories and poems, songs and myths, represent us, sustain and complete us, and survive us, while also ensuring that all that's best in us survives with them.
added by stephmo | editBoston Globe, Bruce Allen (Nov 20, 2005)

The focus on Anansi and tricksters, I think, goes a long way towards explaining the tone of this novel. It really feels more like some of the established "funny" sci-fi/fantasy authors (like Gaiman's Good Omens co-author Terry Pratchett) than "classic" Neil.
added by stephmo | editPopMatters, Stephen Rauch (Nov 7, 2005)

The problem in "Anansi Boys" is the type of fantasy Gaiman has chosen. The tales of Anansi outwitting his foes leave you feeling you've eaten something heavy and sugary. There's an Uncle Remus folksiness to the stories that sends the airy blitheness of the farce plummeting down to earth.

There is also, I regret to say, the warm hand of instruction lying uneasily on this tale. Charlie works through his ineffectualness and his family issues to find happiness, contentment and - ugh - acceptance. It leaves you with the uncomfortable feeling that for Gaiman, farce by itself would simply have been too frivolous, that he feels the need to impart a lesson.

Anansi Boys contains a couple of traditional-style Anansi fables, and the book itself takes a similar ambling but wry, pointed tone; like any good Anansi story, it's about cleverness, appetite, and comeuppance, and it's funny in a smart, inclusive way. And like any good Gaiman book, it's about the places where the normal world and a fantastic one intersect, and all the insightful things they have to say about each other.

Neil Gaimanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Henry, LennyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
You know how it is, you pick up a book, flip to the dedication, and find that, once again, the author has dedicated a book to someone else and not to you.
Not this time.
Because we haven't yet met/have only a glancing acquaintance/are just crazy about each other/haven't seen each other in much too long/are in some way related/will never meet, but will, I trust, despite that, always think fondly of each other ....
This one's for you.
With you know what, and you probably know why.
NOTE: The author would like to take this opportunity to tip his hat respectfully to the ghosts of Zora Neale Hurston, Thorne Smith, P.G. Wodehouse, and Frederick "Tex" Avery.
It begins, as most things begin, with a song.
The beast made the noise of a cat being shampooed, a lonely wail of horror and outrage, of shame and defeat.
"The ties of blood," said Spider, "Are stronger than water."

"Water's not strong," objected Fat Charlie.
"Stronger than vodka, then. Or volcanoes".

Set in the same world as American Gods, but not a sequel to it.

In Anansi Boys we discover that 'Mr. Nancy' (Anansi) has two sons, and the two sons in turn discover each other. The novel follows their adventures as they explore their common heritage.
Moral of the book

can't be: In order to find

yourself, wear a hat.

(legallypuzzled)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0060515198, Mass Market Paperback)

Fat Charlie Nancy's normal life ended the moment his father dropped dead on a Florida karaoke stage. Charlie didn't know his dad was a god. And he never knew he had a brother.

Now brother Spider's on his doorstep—about to make Fat Charlie's life more interesting . . . and a lot more dangerous.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:34:53 -0400)

One of fiction's most audaciously original talents, Neil Gaiman now gives us a mythology for a modern age -- complete with dark prophecy, family dysfunction, mystical deceptions, and killer birds. Not to mention a lime. Anansi Boys God is dead. Meet the kids. When Fat Charlie's dad named something, it stuck. Like calling Fat Charlie "Fat Charlie." Even now, twenty years later, Charlie Nancy can't shake that name, one of the many embarrassing "gifts" his father bestowed -- before he dropped dead on a karaoke stage and ruined Fat Charlie's life. Mr. Nancy left Fat Charlie things. Things like the tall, good-looking stranger who appears on Charlie's doorstep, who appears to be the brother he never knew. A brother as different from Charlie as night is from day, a brother who's going to show Charlie how to lighten up and have a little fun ... just like Dear Old Dad. And all of a sudden, life starts getting very interesting for Fat Charlie. Because, you see, Charlie's dad wasn't just any dad. He was Anansi, a trickster god, the spider-god. Anansi is the spirit of rebellion, able to overturn the social order, create wealth out of thin air, and baffle the devil. Some said he could cheat even Death himself. Returning to the territory he so brilliantly explored in his masterful New York Times bestseller, American Gods, the incomparable Neil Gaiman offers up a work of dazzling ingenuity, a kaleidoscopic journey deep into myth that is at once startling, terrifying, exhilarating, and fiercely funny -- a true wonder of a novel that confirms Stephen King's glowing assessment of the author as "a treasure-house of story, and we are lucky to have him."… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,364,792 books! | Top bar: Always visible