Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman

Anansi Boys (original 2005; edition 2006)

by Neil Gaiman

Member:soniaandree
Title:Anansi Boys
Authors:Neil Gaiman
Info:HarperTorch (2006), Mass Market Paperback, 416 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:novel

Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman (2005)

English (351)  German (3)  Finnish (2)  All (1)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  All (359)
As the sort-of sequel/spinoff of [a:Neil Gaiman|1221698|Neil Gaiman|https://images.gr-assets.com/authors/1234150163p2/1221698.jpg]'s seminal [b:American Gods|30165203|American Gods (American Gods, #1)|Neil Gaiman|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1492065360s/30165203.jpg|1970226], I can't say that I loved this book with the bone-shaking fervor of its predecessor. But that isn't to say I didn't love it all the same. It's a smaller story in scale, but it still encompasses the magic and wonder that Gaiman had brought to American Gods, combined with the tender humanity of the characters. ( )
  msemmag | Jun 14, 2017 |
Anansi Boys is one of the most humorous and wonderfully crafted books I have read in ages. Neil Gaiman is in phenomenal form here and the book is like a dream combination of Robert Rankin's off-the-wall humor, Terry Pratchett's wit and Neil Gaiman's take on life, the universe and everything.

There is not a single moment that I was bored or zoned out while reading Anansi Boys. Every single page is dripping with character and every sentence drags you onwards without pausing for breath.

I can highly recommend this to anyone who is in any way in the slightest a Gaiman fan as well as anyone who is in search of a gripping, funny, serious, wonderful story of family, gods and fantastical stories. ( )
  MerkabaZA | Jun 12, 2017 |
I have heard over the years mention that this is a sequel to American Gods and it pales in comparison to its original. I have just recently finished listening to American Gods, and yes, it isn't as brilliant as the original, but it sill is a fabulous story. Honestly, it is also a little more accessible to someone like me, who is of more of a simple intelligence. The story is fast paced, interesting and like Gaiman, totally unique. I listened to the audio version and the narrator was brilliant, he brought to life each and every one of the characters. Just a little added note, much of Fat Charlie's commentary on Rosie's mom made me laugh so hard, there were tears.

Favourite Quotes

“Of course, everyone's parents are embarrassing. It goes with the territory. The nature of parents is to embarrass merely by existing, just as it is the nature of children of a certain age to cringe with embarrassment, shame, and mortification should their parents so much as speak to them on the street.

“It's funny. I thought she'd live through anything."
Charlie said, "Me too. I figured even if there was a nuclear war, it would still leave radioactive cockroaches and your mum.” ( )
  mountie9 | Apr 30, 2017 |
When Fat Charlie's father dies he lIearns that he has a brother. A brother who is a god, just like his father, Anansi. And all he has to do to meet him is to tell a spider. Unfortunately for Fat Charlie Nancy ( who's not really fat) his ordered world is about to be turned upside down.
Fun read, very well written. ( )
  TheWasp | Feb 19, 2017 |
Astounding in its wit and charm, "Anansi Boys" is a pleasant and whimsical departure from its predecessor. ( )
  Birdo82 | Jan 16, 2017 |
Gaiman kutoo tapansa mukaan sujuvan ja houkuttelevan kertomuksen, joka ammentaa tarinoiden ja myyttien maailmasta. Sujuvan lukukokemuksen viimeistelee onnistunut suomennos.

Gaimaniin mieltyneille Hämähäkkijumala on puolipakollinen kirjahyllyn täyte ja kevytfantasiaa hakeville ihan yhtä hyvä tutustumiskirja kuin mikä tahansa varhaisempi romaani. Vaikka kirjan juoni ei juuri yllätäkään, Gaiman esittelee tarinankertojan lahjaansa: kykyä tehdä mahdottomasta todenmakuista.
added by msaari | editKeskisuomalainen, Riku Ylönen (Jan 30, 2009)

And Charlie, who has become a successful singer and fathered a son, has come to terms with the powers and responsibilities of ''a boy who was half a god," having learned what Gaiman knows better, and communicates more forcefully, than any other contemporary writer: Stories and poems, songs and myths, represent us, sustain and complete us, and survive us, while also ensuring that all that's best in us survives with them.
added by stephmo | editBoston Globe, Bruce Allen (Nov 20, 2005)

The focus on Anansi and tricksters, I think, goes a long way towards explaining the tone of this novel. It really feels more like some of the established "funny" sci-fi/fantasy authors (like Gaiman's Good Omens co-author Terry Pratchett) than "classic" Neil.
added by stephmo | editPopMatters, Stephen Rauch (Nov 7, 2005)

The problem in "Anansi Boys" is the type of fantasy Gaiman has chosen. The tales of Anansi outwitting his foes leave you feeling you've eaten something heavy and sugary. There's an Uncle Remus folksiness to the stories that sends the airy blitheness of the farce plummeting down to earth.

There is also, I regret to say, the warm hand of instruction lying uneasily on this tale. Charlie works through his ineffectualness and his family issues to find happiness, contentment and - ugh - acceptance. It leaves you with the uncomfortable feeling that for Gaiman, farce by itself would simply have been too frivolous, that he feels the need to impart a lesson.

Anansi Boys contains a couple of traditional-style Anansi fables, and the book itself takes a similar ambling but wry, pointed tone; like any good Anansi story, it's about cleverness, appetite, and comeuppance, and it's funny in a smart, inclusive way. And like any good Gaiman book, it's about the places where the normal world and a fantastic one intersect, and all the insightful things they have to say about each other.

Neil Gaimanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Henry, LennyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mcginnis, RobertCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Trueblood, HoustonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
You know how it is, you pick up a book, flip to the dedication, and find that, once again, the author has dedicated a book to someone else and not to you.
Not this time.
Because we haven't yet met/have only a glancing acquaintance/are just crazy about each other/haven't seen each other in much too long/are in some way related/will never meet, but will, I trust, despite that, always think fondly of each other ....
This one's for you.
With you know what, and you probably know why.
NOTE: The author would like to take this opportunity to tip his hat respectfully to the ghosts of Zora Neale Hurston, Thorne Smith, P.G. Wodehouse, and Frederick "Tex" Avery.
It begins, as most things begin, with a song.
The beast made the noise of a cat being shampooed, a lonely wail of horror and outrage, of shame and defeat.
"The ties of blood," said Spider, "Are stronger than water."

"Water's not strong," objected Fat Charlie.
"Stronger than vodka, then. Or volcanoes".

Set in the same world as American Gods, but not a sequel to it.

In Anansi Boys we discover that 'Mr. Nancy' (Anansi) has two sons, and the two sons in turn discover each other. The novel follows their adventures as they explore their common heritage.
Moral of the book

can't be: In order to find

yourself, wear a hat.

(legallypuzzled)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0060515198, Mass Market Paperback)

Fat Charlie Nancy's normal life ended the moment his father dropped dead on a Florida karaoke stage. Charlie didn't know his dad was a god. And he never knew he had a brother.

Now brother Spider's on his doorstep—about to make Fat Charlie's life more interesting . . . and a lot more dangerous.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:34 -0400)

One of fiction's most audaciously original talents, Neil Gaiman now gives us a mythology for a modern age -- complete with dark prophecy, family dysfunction, mystical deceptions, and killer birds. Not to mention a lime. Anansi Boys God is dead. Meet the kids. When Fat Charlie's dad named something, it stuck. Like calling Fat Charlie "Fat Charlie." Even now, twenty years later, Charlie Nancy can't shake that name, one of the many embarrassing "gifts" his father bestowed -- before he dropped dead on a karaoke stage and ruined Fat Charlie's life. Mr. Nancy left Fat Charlie things. Things like the tall, good-looking stranger who appears on Charlie's doorstep, who appears to be the brother he never knew. A brother as different from Charlie as night is from day, a brother who's going to show Charlie how to lighten up and have a little fun ... just like Dear Old Dad. And all of a sudden, life starts getting very interesting for Fat Charlie. Because, you see, Charlie's dad wasn't just any dad. He was Anansi, a trickster god, the spider-god. Anansi is the spirit of rebellion, able to overturn the social order, create wealth out of thin air, and baffle the devil. Some said he could cheat even Death himself. Returning to the territory he so brilliantly explored in his masterful New York Times bestseller, American Gods, the incomparable Neil Gaiman offers up a work of dazzling ingenuity, a kaleidoscopic journey deep into myth that is at once startling, terrifying, exhilarating, and fiercely funny -- a true wonder of a novel that confirms Stephen King's glowing assessment of the author as "a treasure-house of story, and we are lucky to have him."… (more)

4 2018

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,060,499 books! | Top bar: Always visible