Cold Fire by Dean Koontz

Cold Fire (1991)

by Dean Koontz

English (25)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  All languages (27)
On 2 Sep 1999 I read Chosen to Live and on 3 Sep 1999 I read Miracle in the Cornfield, both non-fiction accounts of the crash of Flight 232 in Sioux City on 19 July 1989 and when I saw in the Wikipredia article on that crash that a fictional account based on that event was contained in this book by Dean Koontz I decided to read the book--even though after reading Shattered on 18 Jan 1993 and Watchers on 24 May 1997 I decided I need read no more Koontz books. The incident based on the crash of Flight 232 takes up about 50 pages in this book--he has the crash occur in Dubuque, Iowa, rather than in Sioux City--and I read those pages with interest. But most of the book is fantasy and really boring reading and I had to force myself to keep reading. The ending is not too bad, but even with attempts to make the situation a case of multiple personality and great ESP it is still filled with impossible and nonbelievable events. I much prefer a thriller to be seemingly possible even if most improbable and Cold Fire flunks in that regard. ( )
  Schmerguls | May 8, 2014 |
Holly Thorne’s life and job as a reporter was at a stalemate until she meets a mysterious Good Samaritan named Jim Ironheart. Right before her eyes, he plucks a young boy from the street just minutes before a deadly truck comes sailing over the crest of a hill. Captivated by his blue eyes and humble manner she decides to use her skills as a reporter to track him down. What she finds was more bizarre then she could have imagined. The boy is not Jim’s only heroic act; stories all over the wire tell of a blue-eyed man who saves people just in time and then disappears into the shadows. When Holly finally catches up with Jim, she learns that he needs her. His gift of being lead to save people is tearing him apart, and without a little love to keep him together he may just go mad.
This book is about the power of literature to influence the mind of a boy to do extraordinary things with his gifts a force so influential that it last until his adult life, and the power of love to tame it all. I love this book and unlike Dean Koontz’s other books Cold Fire is not as filled with horror, just suspense and mystery that will keep you turning the pages. This was my second time through this book and it will not be the last. I would recommend this to anyone who likes Sci-Fi, mystery, suspense, love, romance, and books that change your life forever.
  sallyawolf | Feb 5, 2014 |
Good writing and well paced but it really is fantasy and unashamedly so, and any suspension of disbelief is dispelled by the author himself in a plot twist towards the end. Not one of his best. ( )
  NaggedMan | Sep 18, 2013 |
SUMMARY: Reporter Holly Thorne is intrigued by Jim Ironheart, who has saved 12 lives in the past three months. Holly wants to know what kind of power drives him, why terrifying visions of a churning windmill haunt his dreams, and just what he means when he whispers in his sleep that an enemy who will kill everyone is coming. a oeA master storyteller, sometimes humorous, sometimes shocking, but always riveting. His characters sparkle with life. And his fast-paced plots are wonderfully fiendish, taking unexpected twists and turns.a - The San Diego Union-Tribune
  Hans.Michel | Sep 13, 2013 |
  sallyawolf | Feb 25, 2013 |

Koontz, Deanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brautigam,DonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cowan, CarolNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hanson, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Nick and Vicky Page, who know how to be good neighbors and friends--if only they would try.
&
Dick and Pat Karlan, who are among the few in "Hollywood" who own their souls--and always will. My life is better for having known you all. Weirder, but better!
Even before the events in the supermarket, Jim Ironheart should have known trouble was coming.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425199584, Mass Market Paperback)

Reporter Holly Thorne is intrigued by Jim Ironheart, who has saved 12 lives in the past three months. Holly wants to know what kind of power drives him, why terrifying visions of a churning windmill haunt his dreams, and just what he means when he whispers in his sleep that an enemy who will kill everyone is coming. “A master storyteller, sometimes humorous, sometimes shocking, but always riveting. His characters sparkle with life. And his fast-paced plots are wonderfully fiendish, taking unexpected twists and turns.” - The San Diego Union-Tribune

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:57 -0400)

"A horror shocker in which reporter Holly Thorne investigates a man who has saved twelve lives in the last three months."

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,778,951 books! | Top bar: Always visible