Demon Seed by Dean Koontz

Demon Seed (1973)

by Dean Koontz

I completely devoured this novel. What an incredible concept and well executed book. I recently recommended a Dean Koontz book, Tick Tock, to a coworker and decided to pick up one of his books from my bookshelf. It was an exhilirating read that I couldn't put down. It was told in first-person perspective of a supercomputer Adam Two, or Proteus as he prefers, who hacks into a beautiful shut-in video game programmer Susan's home and life. He accesses her financial accounts, electrifies her doorknobs, and even electronically fires her staff from a tiny basement halfway across the country. I loved the way this was written and highly recommend it. It was terrifying, but only in the most excellent way all readers understand. Way to go, Koontzy.

aliterarylion | Jul 14, 2014 |
This is a little bit like HAL in '2001: Space Odyssey', whereby an artificial intelligence seeks to undermine its human creators. In this story, Adam 2 who 'resides' in servers and circuitry attempts to embody itself, impregnate a woman (the means of which unfold in the story) who will then birth clone copies of itself -- hence, the title, 'Demon Seed'. It might be science fiction, but then again, for all the uses and abuses of technology, this might not be all that far-fetched. ( )
  MomsterBookworm | Jul 14, 2014 |
I barely remember this now - except that it was good but creepy. 3 only because I never thought to read it again. ( )
  Pabkins | Jun 24, 2014 |
EDITORIAL REVIEW: **Now with a new afterword by the #1 *NEW YORK TIMES* BESTSELLING AUTHOR... And a brand-new package.** In the privacy of her own home, and against her will, Susan Harris will experience an inconceivable act of terror. She will become the object of the ultimate computer's consuming obsession: to learn everything there is to know about human flesh. ( )
  Hans.Michel | Sep 13, 2013 |
A simply brilliant book of electronic evil from the mind of a genius. ( )
  ARBraun7 | Jul 20, 2013 |

Dean Koontzprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gibbons, LeeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Humanity yearns so desperately to equal God's great creativity. In some creations, how we shine: music, dance, storyweaving, wine. Then thunderstorms of madness rain upon us, flooding sadness, sweep us into anguish, grief, into dispair without relief. We're drawn to high castles, where old hunchbacked vassals glare wall-eyed as lightning flares without brightening. Laboratories in the high towers, where the doctor wields power, creating new life in a dark hour, in the belfry of the high tower. - The Book of Counted Sorrows
This story is for O. Richard Forsythe and John Bodnar: teachers whose influence on me has not waned since I dedicated the original version of this novel to them.
The darkness troubles me.

A computer with human-like qualities of artificial intelligence develops criminal obsessions and takes over the completely automated home of Susan Harris.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,141,208 books! | Top bar: Always visible