Demon Seed by Dean Koontz

Demon Seed (1973)

by Dean Koontz

1,078None7,858 (3.13)15
(3) 2002 (3) 2010 (3) AI (6) artificial intelligence (12) audio (4) Calibre (3) CD (3) dean koontz (39) ebook (15) fantasy (3) favorite author (3) fiction (90) horror (127) horror fiction (4) Kindle (4) movie tie-in (3) mystery (5) novel (6) own (5) paperback (7) read (13) science fiction (56) sf (5) sold (3) supernatural (6) suspense (33) thriller (33) to-read (11) unread (9)

EDITORIAL REVIEW: **Now with a new afterword by the #1 *NEW YORK TIMES* BESTSELLING AUTHOR... And a brand-new package.** In the privacy of her own home, and against her will, Susan Harris will experience an inconceivable act of terror. She will become the object of the ultimate computer's consuming obsession: to learn everything there is to know about human flesh. ( )
  Hans.Michel | Sep 13, 2013 |
A simply brilliant book of electronic evil from the mind of a genius. ( )
  ARBraun7 | Jul 20, 2013 |
Strange in all the best kind of ways. In a world that is over run with technology it might make you want to throw your cell phone and laptop out the window in a panic driven frenzy. ( )
  Bcushman | Jul 7, 2013 |
Classic Koontz. Scary. Creepy. Just a little weird. ( )
  lesmel | May 21, 2013 |
The version of the book you will find today is likely a revised version of a story originally released in 1973.

Today it is the story of a computer that takes control of a house. In the house lives a woman who is dealing with her demons - principally a divorce from a controlling, abusive husband.

The 1997 revisions to this story mention Microsoft and features of computers that may have been unthought of in 1973. I've not read the 1973 version so I'm not certain how it read. In any case, this is relatively quick read and does not feel too dated - a fact that surprised me.

Overall I would say that it is worth a read, but probably not a book I would look to read again.

In 1977 this was made into a movie starring Julie Christie - one I've never seen. It is still available in-store. ( )
1 vote AussiePenMan | Oct 8, 2012 |

Dean Koontzprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gibbons, LeeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Humanity yearns so desperately to equal God's great creativity. In some creations, how we shine: music, dance, storyweaving, wine. Then thunderstorms of madness rain upon us, flooding sadness, sweep us into anguish, grief, into dispair without relief. We're drawn to high castles, where old hunchbacked vassals glare wall-eyed as lightning flares without brightening. Laboratories in the high towers, where the doctor wields power, creating new life in a dark hour, in the belfry of the high tower. - The Book of Counted Sorrows
This story is for O. Richard Forsythe and John Bodnar: teachers whose influence on me has not waned since I dedicated the original version of this novel to them.
The darkness troubles me.

A computer with human-like qualities of artificial intelligence develops criminal obsessions and takes over the completely automated home of Susan Harris.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,474,635 books! | Top bar: Always visible