False Memory by Dean Koontz

False Memory (original 1999; edition 2000)

by Dean Koontz

Member:sugarbear67
Title:False Memory
Authors:Dean Koontz
Info:Bantam (2000), Edition: First Printing, Mass Market Paperback, 784 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:*****

False Memory by Dean Koontz (1999)

English (35)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All languages (37)
Go see your Dr. then read this book. Leave me a message if you don't wind up in the nut house. Kind of hard to review without spoiling things. Koontz at his best. Koontz loves to put you in a place where you automatically have to assume that someone is out to get you and that someone is just decieving and evil enough to make your life a living hell. A predictable element of Koontz is that he is going to let you go back to your life at the end of the fray, but he clearly wants you to remember that no matter what.....you should never get over confident about your place in the cosmos. If you do, then he will snatch you right back to his own little patch of shadow and slap you around. You will be ok in the end. Just pray that he has not been hanging out with Clive Barker. ( )
  Joe73 | Apr 17, 2018 |
I couldn't turn the pages fast enough!

This book is a suspenseful thriller in which the characters start to notice lapses in their memory. I’m glad it's fiction because it’s kind of freaky. ( )
  jenn88 | Apr 25, 2017 |
My first Dean Koontz book. Read it on recommendation. the book is too gud. start is bit slow but page turner later on ...
  _RSK | Jan 26, 2016 |
I read this book some time ago and I still recommend it to people. It is long but the story just drew me in and I remember that it was hard to put down. With Koontz it is either love or meh with me. This was definitely love. ( )
  TheLibraryhag | Mar 16, 2015 |
It started out slow. The two hundred pages or so were quite dull, because most of the major pieces of the central drama had yet to fall into place. It picked up, though. By the end, the story was compelling and I thoroughly enjoyed it for the last two hundred or three hundred pages. The allegories to other famous books (Catcher in the Rye, Manchurian Candidate, etc.) made for some cool parallels. Still, this book required an outrageous suspension of disbelief in order for several of the plot points to work. Also, the sneering anti-intellectualism throughout the book irked me a little bit. In sum, a decent mystery novel once it gets going. ( )
  brleach | Jan 26, 2015 |

Dean Koontzprimary authorall editionscalculated
Defert, DominiqueTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gelder, Cherie vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lang, StephenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
AUTOPHOBIA is a real personality disorder. The term is used to describe three different conditions: (1) fear of being alone; (2) fear of being egotistical; (3) fear of oneself. The third is the rarest of these conditions.
This phantasm
of falling petals vanishes into
moon and flowers . . .
-Okyo
Whiskers of the cat,
webbed toes on my swimming dog:
God is in details.
-The Book Of Counted Sorrows
In the real world
as in dreams,
nothing is quite
what is seems.
-The Book Of Counted Sorrows
Life is an unrelenting comedy.
Therein lies the tragedy of it.
-Martin Stillwater
This book is dedicated to
Tim Hely Hutchinson.
Your faith in my work,
a long time ago
-and now for many years-
gave me heart
editorial relationship
of my career,
which is a testament to
your exceptional patience,
kindness, and tolerance for fools!
On that Tuesday in January, when her life changed forever, Martine Rhodes woke with a headache, developed a sour stomach after washing down two aspirin with grapefruit juice, guaranteed herself an epic bad-hair day by mistakenly using Dustin's shampoo instead of her own, broke a fingernail, burnt her toast, discovered ants swarming through the cabinet under the kitchen sink, eradicated the pests by firing a spray can of insecticide as ferociously as Sigourney Weaver wielded a flamethrower in one of those old extraterrestrial-bug movies, cleaned up the resultant carnage with paper towels, hummed Bach's Requiem as she solemnly consigned the tiny bodies to the trash can, and took a telephone call from her mother, Sabrina, who still prayed for the collapse of Martie's marriage three years after the wedding.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553580221, Mass Market Paperback)

Not a continuation of the Moonlight Bay series (Seize the Night and Fear Nothing) as many fans were expecting, False Memory is nonetheless just as powerful and compulsive as anything Koontz has written before.

Martie Rhodes is a successful young computer games designer with a loving husband, Dusty, and a seemingly normal life. Her best friend, Susan, however, suffers from agoraphobia, or a fear of open spaces, and relies on Martie to take her to weekly therapy sessions. Suddenly and inexplicably, Martie herself begins exhibiting worrying signs of a mental disorder, fearing herself capable of inflicting great harm on her loved ones. At the same time, Dusty's brother Skeet also succumbs to irrational mental behavior and tries to throw himself from a roof. It soon becomes clear that these four characters are involved in something much more than a sinister coincidence.

Koontz's great skill, as he demonstrates so well in this novel, is creating believable characters and thrusting them into seemingly impossible but--for the period of the story--completely plausible situations. The plot is as carefully layered as the most intricate orchestral compositions, and Koontz conducts the proceedings with almost unbearable tension. One of his greatest abilities as a writer, however, is tapping into the dark paranoia of society. As we approach the Millennium, and an age in which we are becoming increasingly desensitized to death and violence, Martie's fear of herself, known as autophobia, seems a terrifying warning that soon the only thing we will have left to fear is ourselves.

Deeper meanings aside, this is easily one of his best thrillers. The prose moves at a breakneck speed, and the denouement will leave you with a pounding heart and chills up and down your spine. Koontz delivers exciting, boundary-breaking fiction better than anyone else in the game, and False Memory (though at times shocking and disturbing) is a perfect example of a master author in top form. --Jonathan Weir, Amazon.co.uk

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:04 -0400)

Dustin Rhodes, desperate to learn why his wife, a successful video game designer, has suddenly developed autophobia--the fear of oneself, discovers the shocking truth in the person of her therapist, the respected Dr. Ahriman.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,530,525 books! | Top bar: Always visible