False Memory by Dean Koontz

False Memory (original 1999; edition 2000)

by Dean Koontz

Member:nicole2222
Title:False Memory
Authors:Dean Koontz
Info:Bantam (2000), Edition: 1, Mass Market Paperback, 784 pages

False Memory by Dean Koontz (1999)

English (34)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All languages (36)
I read this book some time ago and I still recommend it to people. It is long but the story just drew me in and I remember that it was hard to put down. With Koontz it is either love or meh with me. This was definitely love. ( )
  TheLibraryhag | Mar 16, 2015 |
It started out slow. The two hundred pages or so were quite dull, because most of the major pieces of the central drama had yet to fall into place. It picked up, though. By the end, the story was compelling and I thoroughly enjoyed it for the last two hundred or three hundred pages. The allegories to other famous books (Catcher in the Rye, Manchurian Candidate, etc.) made for some cool parallels. Still, this book required an outrageous suspension of disbelief in order for several of the plot points to work. Also, the sneering anti-intellectualism throughout the book irked me a little bit. In sum, a decent mystery novel once it gets going. ( )
  brleach | Jan 26, 2015 |
So I’m not quite halfway through this book and still don’t know what to make of it. Yes, I’ve been on a bit of a Dean Koontz tear lately, and have enjoyed greatly the last few novels of his I’ve caught up on. Maybe I’m Koontzed out. But I think there’s more to it.

The book itself begins slowly, but before long you understand it has to do with hypnosis, and an evil doctor who uses his patients as playthings in some kind of gruesome game. I confess as well to being absolutely turned off by the realistic sadism revealed in parts of the book.

However, I think the major problem with the book is that it’s overwritten. Not overwritten like so many authors do, to pump up the word count, making lists of things, items, objects, and substances, to enhance the situations, affairs, and concepts, that the writer is trying to impart . . . you know what I mean. Though there is plenty of that in this book.

But what Koontz does here (and maybe has done all along and I’ve just never noticed) is that he says the same thing over . . . and over . . . and over again. Honest. It was on page 298 (of 751) when I had my epiphany after reading this:

“Who would have programmed Skeet? When? How? Where? For what possible purpose? And why Skeet of all people: self-admitted feeb, druggie, sweet loser that he was?”

Fascinating he was able to get the entirety of the newspaperman’s credo (who, what, where, when, and why?) into that passage. And don’t think I didn’t notice he used three adjectives to describe Skeet. But it was the next sentence that sealed it for me:

“The whole thing smelled-smacked-reeked of paranoia.”

Ya know, as someone who has tried his hand at fiction, who often has trouble finding enough words and plot points to flesh out an entire novel (generally thought of as 50,000 words or more) I never even thought of not selecting the most precise word for what I mean to say, but simply using all of them and letting the chips fall where they may.

As noted previously, it might just be that I’m Koontzed out. Nevertheless, I’m going to move on from this book and on to something else. I only hope I can return to both this book and to Koontz someday, and not suffer for having (perhaps) glimpsed the wizard behind the curtain.
  BrendanPMyers | Jun 23, 2014 |
So far, I've only read two novels by Dean Koontz (the other is "77 Shadow Street"), and I have not been able to read these books at night.

Koontz uses a very plausible scenario in this book that creates a very real feeling of horror in the reader. It is a fiction book, but the topic that is included is based on reality, and this adds to the horror feeling of the story.

The description of the book is very vague, but the title depicts the story very well. The term "False Memories" is an actual term in the field of psychology.

I enjoy the way that Koontz writes his characters. There is always enough backstory on them for the reader to fully know or understand the characters.

I really did not like the character of the villian in the story (which makes sense). I did skip a lot of the information dealing with this character because I didn't really want to know more about the character.

The story did have a good ending, with a nice resolution. I was very happy that there was no cliffhanger.

bookwormconfidential | Dec 27, 2013 |
Very interesting premise, and for the most part, very engaging. However, there were a few slow parts and it was simply too long. ( )
  bookwyrmm | Nov 22, 2013 |

Dean Koontzprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lang, StephenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
AUTOPHOBIA is a real personality disorder. The term is used to describe three different conditions: (1) fear of being alone; (2) fear of being egotistical; (3) fear of oneself. The third is the rarest of these conditions.
This phantasm
of falling petals vanishes into
moon and flowers . . .
-Okyo
Whiskers of the cat,
webbed toes on my swimming dog:
God is in details.
-The Book Of Counted Sorrows
In the real world
as in dreams,
nothing is quite
what is seems.
-The Book Of Counted Sorrows
Life is an unrelenting comedy.
Therein lies the tragedy of it.
-Martin Stillwater
This book is dedicated to
Tim Hely Hutchinson.
Your faith in my work,
a long time ago
-and now for many years-
gave me heart
editorial relationship
of my career,
which is a testament to
your exceptional patience,
kindness, and tolerance for fools!
On that Tuesday in January, when her life changed forever, Martine Rhodes woke with a headache, developed a sour stomach after washing down two aspirin with grapefruit juice, guaranteed herself an epic bad-hair day by mistakenly using Dustin's shampoo instead of her own, broke a fingernail, burnt her toast, discovered ants swarming through the cabinet under the kitchen sink, eradicated the pests by firing a spray can of insecticide as ferociously as Sigourney Weaver wielded a flamethrower in one of those old extraterrestrial-bug movies, cleaned up the resultant carnage with paper towels, hummed Bach's Requiem as she solemnly consigned the tiny bodies to the trash can, and took a telephone call from her mother, Sabrina, who still prayed for the collapse of Martie's marriage three years after the wedding.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553580221, Mass Market Paperback)

Not a continuation of the Moonlight Bay series (Seize the Night and Fear Nothing) as many fans were expecting, False Memory is nonetheless just as powerful and compulsive as anything Koontz has written before.

Martie Rhodes is a successful young computer games designer with a loving husband, Dusty, and a seemingly normal life. Her best friend, Susan, however, suffers from agoraphobia, or a fear of open spaces, and relies on Martie to take her to weekly therapy sessions. Suddenly and inexplicably, Martie herself begins exhibiting worrying signs of a mental disorder, fearing herself capable of inflicting great harm on her loved ones. At the same time, Dusty's brother Skeet also succumbs to irrational mental behavior and tries to throw himself from a roof. It soon becomes clear that these four characters are involved in something much more than a sinister coincidence.

Koontz's great skill, as he demonstrates so well in this novel, is creating believable characters and thrusting them into seemingly impossible but--for the period of the story--completely plausible situations. The plot is as carefully layered as the most intricate orchestral compositions, and Koontz conducts the proceedings with almost unbearable tension. One of his greatest abilities as a writer, however, is tapping into the dark paranoia of society. As we approach the Millennium, and an age in which we are becoming increasingly desensitized to death and violence, Martie's fear of herself, known as autophobia, seems a terrifying warning that soon the only thing we will have left to fear is ourselves.

Deeper meanings aside, this is easily one of his best thrillers. The prose moves at a breakneck speed, and the denouement will leave you with a pounding heart and chills up and down your spine. Koontz delivers exciting, boundary-breaking fiction better than anyone else in the game, and False Memory (though at times shocking and disturbing) is a perfect example of a master author in top form. --Jonathan Weir, Amazon.co.uk

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:04 -0400)

It?s a fear more paralyzing than falling. More terrifying than absolute darkness. More horrifying than anything you can imagine. It?s the one fear you cannot escape no matter where you run no matter where you hide.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,153,189 books! | Top bar: Always visible