Icebound by Dean Koontz

Icebound (1976)

by Dean Koontz

1,335None5,860 (3.36)12
Recently added byprivate library, wareagle78, stephng95, ralob101, FLiPPo
adventure (15) AF (3) Arctic (15) audio (4) audiobook (5) crime (5) dean koontz (52) ebook (7) fiction (109) horror (78) horror fiction (3) icebergs (8) murder (5) mystery (17) novel (10) own (5) paperback (10) pb (5) polar (3) read (17) science fiction (7) scientists (5) serial killer (5) skönlitteratur (6) submarines (5) suspense (50) suspense-thriller (3) thriller (77) to-read (12) unread (10)

A group of scientists rig a glacier with explosives, attempting to study the flow and melt rates of pieces that might be taken back to the populated world for water. But then, as tsunami under the glacier causes their portion to break free from the main glacier. The team is stuck on an iceburg, in a filthy storm, that's rigged to explode.

A mind-capturing read but not as well written as it might be. ( )
  wareagle78 | Mar 31, 2014 |
Not Dean Koontzs' usual fayre but not a bad read at all. For a while I began to get bored with this as it's not my type of book but as I got further into it I knew I just had to finish it.

A group of scientists are in the arctic setting explosives to release an ice-berg to float to drought-ravaged countries around the world. However, there is a massive storm and are stranded on the ice with the bombs ticking. To make matters worse, there is a killer amongst them. Best of all you have no clue whatsoever which one of the team this is until the very end. Gripping. ( )
  Heptonj | May 12, 2011 |
Plenty of Action and Suspense!

Even though I'm a big Dean R. Koontz fan, I have to say that Icebound wasn't one of his best novels. For me it seemed that he took an enormous amount of chapters to get into the plot. The plot was certainly interesting, and the suspense was real, but usually, Mr. Koontz will draw me into his story after the first chapter and then I start to read and read. It was refreshing to read a story by him where he didn't bring in paranormal elements; instead, he beautifully shows the drama of the human mind under extreme stress. Still, I'm a fan of Dean Koontz and will continue to read all his books. ( )
  MichaelDeavers | Feb 24, 2011 |
'Icebound' is a great quick read, and if you like fast-paced action thrillers to entertain you on a long bus or train journey, then it's probably a book for you. Still, if I'm to be critical about the quality of the literature, it's complete trash. The characters are extremely thin and at times difficult to distinguish from one another, and there's little room for dramatic action, with most of the excitement spanning across no more than 10 pages in the final part of the book. The dialogue is appalling, written as it would be for a film adaptation, and a lot of the story focuses on suspense, which it turns out, builds up to very little. Still, if you can accept it for what it is, and don't think about what it could have been, then it's not a bad read! ( )
  kezumi | Feb 20, 2011 |
Icebound starts with an exciting premise, then piles on the twists. A group of scientists are trapped on a drifting iceberg that's primed with explosives set to go off at midnight. The only rescue vessel with any hope of reaching them is a rickety old Russian submarine captained by a sailor with "nothing to lose". One of the drifters is the son of a famous American family (basically the Kennedy's). Another is a psychotic killer. It's a race against the clock, a whodunit and a (sort of) political thriller all in one. There's not a lot of depth, no, but there's plenty of speed - which is exactly what the author intended. In that, it's a success. Because sometimes that's all you need.

Read the full review at my blog. ( )
  rolhirst | Jan 20, 2010 |

Dean Koontzprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Holmberg, John-HenriTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This corrected version is still for that special and singular lady Winona Gabrick. I'm sure you're up there. Watching. Red pencil in hand.
From The New York Times: / Polar Ice Purest Water in the World / Moscow, Feb. 10 / According to Russian scientists, the water constituting the Arctic icecap has a far lower bacteria count than any water we now drink or with which we irrigate crops, a discovery that might make this vast frozen reservoir a valuable resource of the future.
Originally published as "Prison of Ice", under the pseudonym "David Axton"
This is the original version of "Icebound", please do not combine

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553582909, Mass Market Paperback)

The arctic night is endless. The fear is numbing. Screams freeze in the throat. Death arrives in shades of white. Cold-blooded murder seems right at home....the chill of the grave.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:54:38 -0400)

A secret Arctic experiment turns into a frozen nightmare when a team of scientists, stranded on a drifting iceberg with a massive explosive charge, battle the elements for survival, only to discover that one of them is a murderer.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,474,942 books! | Top bar: Always visible