The Bad Place by Dean Koontz

The Bad Place

by Dean Koontz

Frank Pollard is a man deathly afraid of sleep, because whenever he does, he awakens to find blood on his hands or frightening objects in his pockets. He seeks the help of a husband-and-wife detective team, and they find themselves drawn slowly into ever-darkening realms.

English (30)  French (1)  All languages (31)
Dean, Dean, Dean...I think I've got to take a break from you...I know you've matured as an author throughout the years, but this book should be renamed from "The Bad Place", to "The Bad Book", because it was just that. Cannot believe it got a rating hirer than what I've GENEROUSLY given it. ( )
  ppmarkgraf | May 5, 2018 |
This was a weird but good book and it had a lot of twist and turns. It's one of those book where you think you know what's happening and then everything changes. ( )
  JodiPM | Nov 7, 2017 |
If you haven't read Koontz, start with the older books like this one (I think its his best) or with the Odd Thomas series. He's a prolific writer, and I think he doesn't always try as hard since he knows people will buy the books now that he's so well known. I could be wrong - just my opinion. ( )
  ouroborosangel | Nov 30, 2016 |
One of my favorite authors, always a good read ( )
  PBreaux | Jul 3, 2016 |
The Bad Place is an unpredictable, surprising novel with more strengths than weaknesses. The characters are written well and in depth; the suspense and horror are strong, the drama is high when shown - I even cried at one scene involving Thomas.

The middle and end paid off big time, keeping me flipping through the pages. On bad points, The Bad Place was a little hard to get into because of how outlandish the story was at first. I was confused, and didn't want to dig that much to get 'into it'. The pace was hurt a bit at first for this reason, but it quickly sped up when I got the just of what was going on. I didn’t warm up to the novel until a few chapters had passed, and then I was caught, ensnared in the trap Koontz had so artfully weaved. Heart-stopping action was continuous, pounding itself mercilessly upon the pages, keeping the story going full blast.

As always, Koontzs' style of writing is strong and impactual. His way with words if fantastic. As always with his work, it injects real lessons, and one thing rings clear when reading this: Life is hard, life is rough, but it is still life, and because of this, we have no choice but to grin and bear it, surviving as best as we can.

I recommend this book highly to all Koontz fans; just endure the storm for awhile, then it pays off. ( )
  ErinPaperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |

Koontz, Deanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brautigam, DonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cowan, CarolNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hanson, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Every eye sees its own special vision;
every ear hears a most different song.
IN each man's troubled heart, an incision
would reveal a unique, shameful wrong.

Stranger fiends hide herein human guise
than reside in the valleys of Hell.
But goodness, kindness and love arise
in the heart of the poor beast, as well.

- The Book of Counted Sorrows
Teachers often affect our lives more than they realize. From high school days to the present, I have had teachers to whom I will remain forever indebted, not merely because of what they taught me, but because they provided the invaluable examples of dedication, kindness, and generosity of spirit that have given me an unshakable faith in the basic goodness of the human species. This book is dedicated to:
David O'Brien,
Thomas Doyle,
Richard Forsythe,
John Bodnar,
Carl Campbell,
Steve and Jean Hernishin
The night was becalmed and curiously silent, as if the alley were an abandoned and windless beach in the eye of a hurricane, between the tempest past and the tempest coming.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,921,308 books! | Top bar: Always visible