The Fiction Class by Susan Breen

The Fiction Class (2008)

by Susan Breen

2011958,418 (3.42)12

Based on a description, I thought I'd like this book. However, at 50+ pages in, I've decided that life is too short to keep on reading a book that is doing nothing for me. I'm pretty sure I'm supposed to be caring about these characters and their quirks, but I don't. Sorry. ( )
  y2pk | Oct 1, 2013 |
What I loved most about this book was that all along the way I'd have these little moments where Ms. Breen revealed just the right information at the right time that illuminated another facet of Arabella's relationship with her mother. As I got to know Arabella, I understood better the choices she makes and also the ways in which she comes to terms with her mother and the history they shared. This novel has funny moments and there is a clever twist on the "receipe-novel" genre but instead of recipes, each chapter ends with a writing assignment for all us aspiring writers out here. ( )
1 vote tjsjohanna | May 4, 2013 |
I needed something to read on the train, and this was literally the only thing I could find in Smiths on Marylebone Station that looked bearable. As it was, it was only just. The concept of the writing class was interesting, and the author gets bonus points for admiration of Georgette Heyer but, to be unkind, it reads rather like a writing exercise itself: the characters are shallow, and the plot is nothing new. ( )
1 vote phoebesmum | Aug 13, 2011 |
I love books like this one that make you feel good when it's over. Everyone learned something in the writing class - even the teacher. ( )
  readingfiend | May 8, 2011 |
I loved this book. It was a quick easy read and it flowed wonderfully. I thought the character development was great and there were some many different characters. Watching the relationship between Arabella and her mother was heartbreaking and heartwarming all at the same time. I highly recommend this book!! ( )
  Kristinjordan | Mar 11, 2011 |
For my parents, Barbara and Bob Zelony
You've known there was something special about you for a long time, haven't you?

Arabella Hicks helps her students focus on their writing, and she encourages them to nurture the distinctive voice that emerges on paper as a result of that focus. For some of them, it's the first time any of them have ever had their written work taken seriously. Unfortunately, it's becoming harder for Arabella to practice what she preaches. She's been writing the same novel for seven years, and lately her time in front of the computer has involved more games of Spider Solitaire than she'd like to admit. Also, she's distracted. Her mother, ailing and living in a nearby nursing home, still has enough energy to leave Arabella feeling angry and depleted each time she visits. A narrative that teaches us as much about the craft of writing fiction as it does the power of memory, love, and compassion. -us.penguingroup.com

Read Susan Breen's posts on the Penguin Blog.

A witty, honest, and hugely entertaining story for anyone who loves books, or has a difficult mother. And, let’s face it, that’s practically everybody . . .

On paper, Arabella Hicks seems more than qualified to teach her fiction class on the Upper West Side: she’s a writer herself; she’s passionate about books; she’s even named after the heroine in a Georgette Heyer novel.

On the other hand, she’s thirty-eight, single, and has been writing the same book for the last seven years. And she has been distracted recently: on the same day that Arabella teaches her class she also visits her mother in a nursing home outside the city. And every time they argue. Arabella wants the fighting to stop, but, as her mother puts it, “Just because we’re family, doesn’t mean we have to like each other.” When her class takes a surprising turn and her lessons start to spill over into her weekly visits, she suddenly finds she might be holding the key to her mother’s love and, dare she say it, her own inspiration. After all, as a lifelong lover of books, she knows the power of a good story.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:21:22 -0400)

Despite being named after a Georgette Heyer heroine, would-be novelist Arabellas life is not what it might be. Thirty-six, twice engaged but still single, none of the New Yorkers on her Creative Writing course show any signs of novel-writing promise but then, to be frank, neither does she. However, hope, and love, may be closer than she had realised and, who knows, maybe even inspiration.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,974,890 books! | Top bar: Always visible