The Voice of the Night by Dean Koontz

The Voice of the Night (original 1980; edition 2011)

by Dean Koontz

Member:charliet383
Title:The Voice of the Night
Authors:Dean Koontz
Info:Berkley (2011), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 352 pages
Tags:dean koontz

The Voice Of The Night by Dean Koontz (1980)

English (8)  French (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (10)
I read this book years ago and liked it then too. Fortunately, I couldn't remember the ending so it was new for me. As always, Koontz does an excellent job entertaining you. ( )
  ppmarkgraf | May 5, 2018 |
I have read a handful of Dean Koontz books in the past. I was looking forward to reading this story as it had been a while. I have to say, I was supremely disappointed. This book was terrible. It is the classic stereotype of a shy boy being led astray by the popular kid with a dark background. When the story finally comes to a climax and the shy boy has a chance to rightly kill the dark boy, goodness wins out again with a very cheesy "I can still help you" ending. I feel like I wasted my time with this book. ( )
  msaucier818 | Apr 9, 2018 |
Colin is a fourteen year old boy that moves to a new little town in the 1990's. He soon becomes friends with Roy who is about the same age. The two boys are inseperable. Roy has become Colin's new best friend, which is something Colin has never had. He has always been the outcast at his old school, but now he is friends with the most popular boy in his class. He can't believe this is happening to him. We soon find that Roy has a deep, dark secret that he desperatly wants to share with Colin. First has to test Colin to see if he is trustworthy. When Roy finally feels that Colin is trusted enough, he tells him his awful secret. Roy likes to kill for the fun of it. He wants Colin to help him kill someone to prove their friendship. Colin knows he can't possibly kill someone, but he doesn't want to lose Colin as a friend. He decides that their friendship is not worth what Roy wants and he tells him "no" This angers Roy. He decides to kill Colin. But in the end.....

The book was pretty disturbing at times. Roy is a really messed up kid. It's his reasons for being a messed up kid, that will actually make you feel sympathy for him in the end. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
A Koontz book, but written under a pseudonym. Why do they do that? Are they embarrassed about a work? An unusual Koontz work, this one...the characters are teens, there is no supernatural intervention, and I thought it would be about the usual teen age angst of growing up. But, this book is about Psycho in making... It was suspenseful. That the main [teen] character was able to set up such a complex ending is a bit baffling; it made good reading anyway. ( )
  buffalogr | Aug 24, 2015 |
Very average tale of adolescent boys. Reminded me of reading Hardy Boys when I was a kid. Shades of Koontz, descriptions of flora, but not really worth taking the time to read it. ( )
  caklr650 | Jul 11, 2010 |
every little bit of the article and I have you bookmarked your site to check

Dean Koontzprimary authorall editionscalculated
Sarkkila, HeikkiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
A faint cold fear thrills through my veins. - Shakespeare
To old friends - Harry and Diane Recard Andy and Ann Wickstrom - who, like wine, get better year after year.
"You ever killed anything?" Roy asked.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425128164, Mass Market Paperback)

Two young boys--one withdrawn and shy, and the other popular and confident--participate in a game for those with a dangerous fascination with death, an irresistible game with deadly implications. Reissue.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:38 -0400)

"No one could understand why Colin and Roy were best friends. Colin was so shy; Roy was so popular. Colin was nervous around girls; Roy was a ladies' man. Colin was fascinated by Roy--and Roy was fascinated by death. Then one day Roy asked his timid friend: "You ever killed anything?" And from that moment on, the two were bound together in a game too terrifying to imagine and too irrersistible to stop." -- Back of cover.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,576,111 books! | Top bar: Always visible