Ticktock by Dean Koontz

Authors:Dean Koontz
Info:Ballantine Books (1997), Mass Market Paperback, 352 pages
Tags:horror, newlibl2

Tick Tock by Dean Koontz

English (25)  Swedish (1)  All languages (26)
Review: Tick Tock by Dean Koontz.

This is a fun loving amazing book. It’s about a Vietnamese-American family with authentic Vietnamese traditions they follow here in America with the exception of Tommy their son. He was young when his family crossed the ocean to get away from the turmoil in their homeland. He grew up liking the America way of life. However, he might not have been humble towards his parent’s culture but he loved them in many ways.

The story starts with someone leaving a small rag doll on his doorstep. It’s a simple doll, covered with white cloth, with X stitches for the eyes, mouth, and another pair of X’s over the heart. Curious, he brings it inside his house and then all x stitches on the doll come apart and his life goes on a strong fast turbulent roller coaster….

Then he met strong willed, blond american young women who swept him of his feet, literally!! I like the way the author weaseled her character and her dog into his life. However, when they met they collided head first into a weird friendship as a Bonny and Clyde couple. At the end of their tantalizing journey with the unknown, Tommy’s mother gets to meet Deliverance….

There was so much humor throughout this book that I couldn’t put it down. Well written with a lot of motivated energy.
  Juan-banjo | May 31, 2016 |
Tommy Phan buys a new Corvette and, pleased with his purchase, he cruises around for awhile in his dream car. After he gets home the doorbell at the front of his house rings. When he answers the door no one is there, but someone has left a strange cloth doll with a note attached to it on his doorstep. After bringing the doll into his house Tommy lives to regret it.

This was a fast-paced, sometimes funny, and really strange read. It was sort of a horror-comedy. I liked Tommy. I enjoyed his inner thoughts (which were mostly hilarious---but I don't know if they were supposed to be) as he dealt with his "doll" suddenly coming to life. The girl Tommy eventually befriends, Del Payne, was a friendly, gutsy, and totally kooky girl. Some people who read this book will like her, some people will find her annoying. Her character was a bit "out there", weird---she was sort of an oddball. I did like her cute dog Scootie. The doll/demon/creature gave this book some spooky moments and Tommy's obstinate Vietnamese mother was funny at times.

An offbeat, silly, fun read! ( )
  SandraLynne | Mar 31, 2016 |
By far, one of my favorite of Koontz's books. I couldn't put it down! ( )
  imagine15 | Mar 15, 2016 |
ore chills and terror from the New York Times bestselling author of Intensity. When Vietnamese-American detective/novelist Tommy Phan finds a strange rag doll on his doorstep, he has no idea of its terrifying nature. Soon, Tommy finds himself being hunted in his own house after the doll grows into a monster determined to kill him.

### Review

"Dean Koontz is not just a master of our darkest dreams, but also a literary juggler."*The Times*, London

*From the Paperback edition.*

### From the Publisher

"Koontz is a master at maintaining mystery and suspense."
-- **Library Journal**

"Dean Koontz writes page-turners, middle-of-the-night, sneak-up-behind-you suspense thrillers with a supernatural twist ... He touches our hearts and tingles our spines."
-- **San Francisco Chronicle**

"Dean Koontz is a master storyteller ... always riveting."
-- **The San Diego Union**

"Koontz's characters are fallible, complex, and human."
-- **The New York Times Book Review**

"Koontz's writing is flawless."
-- **The Denver Post** ( )
  Hans.Michel | Sep 13, 2013 |
I remember reading this book. I started it on a Saturday morning. My mom was still in good health and that night I was in bed and i was just reading away, She had dragged me everywhere all day and i just wanted to read this book so at bed time i curled up and about 3 in the morning she comes in and was shocked that i was till engrossed. It was a wonderful book and leaves me with a fond memory of my mom on that day that i read it.
  Bettyb30 | Jun 24, 2013 |

Dean Koontzprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Accornero, FrancoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Michael, PaulNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Gerda with the promise of sand, surf, and a Scootie of our own
Out of a cloudless sky on a windless November day came a sudden shadow that swooped across the bright aqua Corvette.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553582925, Mass Market Paperback)

Tommy Phan is a successful detective novelist living the American Dream in southern California. One evening he comes home to find a small rag doll on his doorstep. It’s a simple doll, covered entirely in white cloth, with crossed black stitches for the eyes and mouth, and another pair forming an X over the heart. Curious, he brings it inside.

That night Tommy hears an odd popping sound and looks up to see the stitches breaking over the doll’s heart. And in minutes the fabric of Tommy Phan’s reality will be torn apart. Something terrifying emerges from the pristine white cloth, something that will follow Tommy wherever he goes. Something that he can’t destroy. It wants Tommy’s life, and he doesn’t know why. He has only one ally, a beautiful, strangely intuitive waitress he meets by chance—or by a design far beyond his comprehension. He has too many questions, no answers, and very little time. Because the vicious and demonically clever doll has left this warning on Tommy’s computer screen:

The deadline is dawn.

Time is running out.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:35 -0400)

After stumbling upon a mysterious rag doll on his doorstep, Tommy Phan finds himself hunted in his own home, as the doll begins to grow into a monster that is determined to kill him.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,695,341 books! | Top bar: Always visible